Time

Options
What's the best time and day to weigh your self .....I know it's 3500 to lose a pound so obviously it's same to gain so when I weigh daily it changes 3/4 pounds sometimes I panic but know it's not possible because I stayed on track

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Short answer: the same time each day, whenever it's convenient to have a consistent time. Longer answer: I prefer first thing in the morning, after I visit the bathroom, before I have anything to eat or drink.

Yep, this!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Short answer: the same time each day, whenever it's convenient to have a consistent time. Longer answer: I prefer first thing in the morning, after I visit the bathroom, before I have anything to eat or drink.

Yep, this!

Yep Me three :smiley:
    I weigh my self every morning, after the loo and before eating or drinking anything.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Yep, this!

Me three. But I can also weigh myself just before I go to bed and I will weigh EXACTLY one more pound than I will in the morning.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^ Exactly.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The reason the above responses are accurate is that , at that time, tou will have the least amount of variables affecting the measurement.
    Two of the bigger factors even at this time will be previous day's intake of sodium ( water retention) and the size of your morning constitutional.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Adding my voice to the chorus. Any other time of day and you are subject to far more fluctuations. The most consistent time will be right after you wake up, and with an empty bladder. You'll still have fluctuations, like water retention or residue from a big meal, but variations are minimised.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd like to recommend only weighing once a week, but still at the same time each time. Right after waking and using the bathroom, before eating/drinking. Weighing once a week will give you more of an accurate look of your actual weight. Your weight can and will fluctuate daily with what you eat/drink and how hard you work out each day. When you're very sore from a hard workout you will be retaining more water due to your muscles repairing themselves; so that can add to a weight fluctuation as well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Your weight varies by as much as 10 pounds in a 24-hour period. The 'first thing in the morning after pee and before drink' plan attempts to catch the low of an 8-12 hour fast when your body is as dehydrated as it will be all day. Sometimes you succeed at doing this while many times you have extra water being retained for a variety of reasons, not all of which are within your control.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    MeganMcK11 wrote: »
    I'd like to recommend only weighing once a week, but still at the same time each time. Right after waking and using the bathroom, before eating/drinking. Weighing once a week will give you more of an accurate look of your actual weight. Your weight can and will fluctuate daily with what you eat/drink and how hard you work out each day. When you're very sore from a hard workout you will be retaining more water due to your muscles repairing themselves; so that can add to a weight fluctuation as well.

I'm not bothered by the daily fluctuations - in fact, I think it's interesting to see them. It gives more insight into what effects sodium intake, workouts, etc. have on my weight. I step on my Withings wi-fi scale every morning and the weight is automatically sent to Happy Scale (iPhone app), Trendweight (website), Apple Health and MFP. As long as the overall trend is downward in the long term, I know I'm on track. Weight trend apps smooth out the data and take the fluctuations into account.

With that said, weighing less frequently can be a good idea for people who get freaked out by seeing normal day-to-day weight fluctuations. Some can't deal with it and it messes with their heads.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm reticent to go full week for fear a big jump in weight, so weigh most mornings right after evacuation...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I only weighed once a week, then I would have freaked out if Saturday was my weigh in day, as I was up 2lbs. Then I would have freaked out all week and probably would have reduced my calories etc etc and dreaded my next weigh in.

I weighed again Sunday morning and that 2lbs had disappeared, it was only water weight.
  • mrsrkearns
    mrsrkearns Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Should I get like a otc water pill??? Also u know at the end of ur day it says in 5 weeks ...etc I haven't co.e close to that and I stay on calorie actually 180 less then I walk 3...5 miles everyday I know that's not exact but shoukd it be so different? I'm sorry I'm asking so much
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    mrsrkearns wrote: »
    Should I get like a otc water pill??? Also u know at the end of ur day it says in 5 weeks ...etc I haven't co.e close to that and I stay on calorie actually 180 less then I walk 3...5 miles everyday I know that's not exact but shoukd it be so different? I'm sorry I'm asking so much

Oh my goodness, NO. Water weight isn't a bad thing, it's just a fact of life. You need to understand and accept those fluctuations, not take pills to overcome them. Water weight can be due to healing, or your body doing body type things, and even if it is not - it will go away. Don't even think of taking pills because of it!!
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If I only weighed once a week, then I would have freaked out if Saturday was my weigh in day, as I was up 2lbs. Then I would have freaked out all week and probably would have reduced my calories etc etc and dreaded my next weigh in.

I weighed again Sunday morning and that 2lbs had disappeared, it was only water weight.

Yeah, this is exactly why I weigh daily and not once a week. If I just happened to be randomly high on weigh-day it would mess me up all week.

Echoing what everyone else says about first thing in the morning etc. Naked is best as well, for obvious reasons. Pretty much why I hate getting weighed at the doctor surgery - just how accurate is your data going to be at 2pm when I'm fully clothed? It's so far out (out by 10lb last time I went) as to be functionally useless.

But if you can't do it in the morning, or naked, for whatever reason then eliminate as many variables as possible by doing it at the same time and in the same clothing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As the others have already said, first thing before eating/drinking and after the loo.
  • MRBDDB
    MRBDDB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning after using the bathroom. I personally have to weigh each morning. I feel like it keeps myself in check and accountable as to where I'm at. If I weighed once a week I would lose my mind.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people get freaked out by weighing more on a given day? Everyone keeps saying we should trust the process and realize weight loss isnt linear.

Yall say look at NSV's rather than a number on the scale, or how your clothes fit etc.

But a pound or two gain and you freak out?
    If you know you're logging truthfully and accurately, and really trust the process why freak out?

I know people want to weigh daily because thats what floats their boat but do yall really believe in the science of CICO?

With all this knowledge of water retention and muscle repair, and time of month for women, we still don't believe in the science.

I guess I'm just confused.

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people get freaked out by weighing more on a given day? Everyone keeps saying we should trust the process and realize weight loss isnt linear.

Yall say look at NSV's rather than a number on the scale, or how your clothes fit etc.

If you know you're logging truthfully and accurately, and really trust the process why freak out?

I know people want to weigh daily because thats what floats their boat but do yall really believe in the science of CICO?

With all this knowledge of water retention and muscle repair, and time of month for women, we still don't believe in the science.

Because we're complex creatures and what we feel doesn't always correlate with what we know.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I'm not sure it's the same people saying the above as the below. Usually people say weight loss isn't linear, etc to people freaking out. I also find that the frequency of weighing is not related to the freaking out. Some people just freak out when ever the scale goes up regardless of if they weigh weekly or daily. Other people understand the process and don't freak out.

I weight daily because I like data and the little graph that can be generated from that data. Doesn't mean I don't understand all that stuff, in fact it helps me understand my cycle and how different thing affect my body more.