Garmin Buddies

Options
bshedwick
bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
I picked up a Garmin Vivoactive HR earlier this month to help jumpstart my fitness goals. Anyone else have one of these new Garmins?

Or any of the other Garmin devices with wrist based heartrate monitor?

Replies

• Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    no, but have the old garmin 500 with chest HR monitor that use it for cycling.
  • ajbutler45
    ajbutler45 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Garmin HR since January. I had previously used the Microsoft Band 1. The Band stopped tracking heart rate correctly after about 6 months so I decided to try the Garmin. I am pleased with it so far. It doesn't have a GPS like the Band did, but I can go 4 to 5 days between charges with the Garmin where I had to charge the Band every day. I also like the water resistance of the Garmin HR. My experience is that the Garmin seems to be a little more rugged then the Band. I will see how it goes once I own it for a whole year.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I got the Garmin VivoActive with the HR chest strap. I like it so far. There are a few things that I wish it could do and the syncing is a b****, but it has most of the functions that I want.

Feel free to add me on Garmin Connect: TracyeS4
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    bshedwick wrote: »
    I picked up a Garmin Vivoactive HR earlier this month to help jumpstart my fitness goals. Anyone else have one of these new Garmins?

I have a Fenix 3 HR. Quite a number of people here have the Forerunner 235.

TracyeS4 wrote: »
    I got the Garmin VivoActive with the HR chest strap. I like it so far. There are a few things that I wish it could do and the syncing is a b****, but it has most of the functions that I want.

What's difficult about the syncing? Do you have the Garmin Connect app on your phone?
  • bshedwick
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

What's difficult about the syncing? Do you have the Garmin Connect app on your phone?

Hows the Fenix 3? I look at that but really wanted to have something that could track my lap swimming.
  • _Waffle_
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hows the Fenix 3? I look at that but really wanted to have something that could track my lap swimming.

It has a pool, open water, and a triathlon mode. It's designed to track swimming. Waterproof to 100 meters. Probably the most waterproof wearable Garmin device.

ETA: The wrist based HRM isn't suitable for swimming. This goes for all Garmin devices. You need a chest strap to track heart rate in the water.

• bshedwick
    Options
    I looked at the Fenix 3 HR, but the new Vivoactive HR had most of the features I wanted/needed and was like 1/2 the price. I don't do any open water swimming right now so I think I'll be ok for now. If I kick up my game a lot, maybe I'll upgrade to the Fenix 3.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded from the vivofit 1 w/HRM chest strap to the VivoActiveHR. Loving it so far. Same name on GC.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    I looked at the Fenix 3 HR, but the new Vivoactive HR had most of the features I wanted/needed and was like 1/2 the price. I don't do any open water swimming right now so I think I'll be ok for now. If I kick up my game a lot, maybe I'll upgrade to the Fenix 3.

You made the right decision then. :+1:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Just in case someone else was wondering, there is another option that just came out the 735 that is between the VAHR and Fenix3HR and does open swim.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options

I do. For some reason, I have to manually sync almost every time. My VivoActive seems to have an issue connecting with my phone automatically. I have contacted Garmin about it but they never responded.
  • FrejaNjorden
    FrejaNjorden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do.. but cannot figure out how to get my garmin tracked activities to show up in here!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do.. but cannot figure out how to get my garmin tracked activities to show up in here!

On MyFitnessPal
    1. Open the App
    2. Hit your menu button
    3. go to App's and Devices
    4. Search for "Garmin"
    5. click on Connect then sign in

On Garmin Connect
    1. hit the menu button
    2. go to settings
    3. go to third party apps tap on MFP
    4. sign in.
  • biggyk87
    biggyk87 Posts: 24 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Picked up a vivosmart HR a month ago and love it. Glad I picked it over a fitbit.