What can you eat when you completely hate veggies?

Options
13»

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    AlyM725 wrote: »
    My next veggie to tackle is asparagus. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance either
    Try it in sushi!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Solution - start eating vegetables.

This^

Or learn to accept small portions of calorie dense foods forever.

Veggies & fruits aren't "required" but they are such a good tool for weight loss and maintenance. Veggies can bump up portion sizes of your favorite dishes. Choose a small plate of Mac & Cheese or larger portion of Mac, cheese & cauliflower.

Try adding mild flavored veggies to stronger tasting sauces (green beans, cauliflower & carrots). Try cooking veggies every which way. Textures will change depending upon cooking method.

• nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mm another way I love to make veggies is in stir fry.

I cut up long eggplant, zucchini, onions, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms - basically whatever I have on hand. I get a deep pan with a lid, and pour in 4-5 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce, 4-5 tbsp of rice vinegar, and then toss in all the veg and close the lid. They cook without any added oil, and I just stir them around from time to time.

Serve on rice, with shredded chicken or beef strips or warmed chickpeas.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've never been a veggie or fruit person...ever. I'm trying to lose baby weight now and I can't seem to find anything that I can eat for meals or snack on. Any tips?

Why are you needing to eat vegetables in order to lose weight? I'm lost here.

Weight loss is Calories In vs. Calories Out.

Don't want to eat veggies for snacks? Have 3 potato chips. Same calories, so you'll still lose weight.

If the issue is that you want to continuously eat but can't unless you're nibbling on veggies because they're low in calories...then you have two choices:

Stop eating so much.

Start liking veggies.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eat what you love already.. !! Stop worrying about veggies and fruits! There is no veggie or fruit police that will come and arrest you for not eating all the "food groups"..
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Tell me again why you can't eat vegetables? I mean, sure, everyone likes pasta or rice or ice cream better, of course. But why can't you eat them?

It's a form of disordered eating.
    Rich man's disorder.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe buy a baby food cookbook. Children usually hate vegetables, you can hide yours just like I did for my kids when they were toddlers. They too thought they hated vegetables.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Eat them for a bit and your tastes will change. Try different ways.

I would be so lost! I hope you find something you like and later you can share them with your baby!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    As others have said, eat whatever you like in quantities that fit your goals. But you may be disappointed in how small the portions of carbs and protein end up being, and without fruit and veg to bulk it out, you may end up hungry.

That's the challenge that faces you. There's not really an easy solution to it.

The fruit and veg may end up tasting better when you're really hungry and out of other options, though!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My older sister pretty much hates most vegetables, which I never understood, since she grew up eating the same garden fresh veggies I did. It turns out that she's a 'super-taster' (one of the people who thinks cilantro tastes like dirt). Broccoli, cauliflower- most of the cruciferous veggies taste terrible for her, peppers,onions, radishes, all of them are on her 'yuck' list. Iceberg lettuce and cucumbers were what she started with.
    She's learned to take small amounts of veggie and hide it in casseroles and sauces by running them through the food processor first. Small bits 'disappear' and the flavors don't overwhelm her.

I also really challenged my 'healthy cooking' skills by ordering an organic veggie box. It shows up every two weeks, full of organic veg and fruit, and often there's at least one thing I've never cooked before. It's forced me to learn new ways of preparation. Look at it as a challenge to learn new foods! :)
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not too much of a veggie or fruit person either but I only like specific types of fruits and veggies. My dad was naturally a picky person when he was younger so that carried on to me and my siblings in different levels. If there are some types of fruits and veggies you do like then try to sneak them into your diet or try new ones but if you don't like them,you don't like them. But other than that I would look into whole grains or explore a whole foods market. They might have healthier options. If you don't end up eating healthy foods maybe just do what I'm doing and eat anything you want within a decent calorie goal. You can look into smoothies or anything really depending on what you like and are willing to eat
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    crickets.....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    crickets.....
    I won't lie, I'd eat a lot more of crickets if I didn't have to raise my own.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Butter and salt/pepper does wonders for me!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I like most fruits and veggies but there are certain types that I have a hard time eating. It really comes down to being lazy and lack of sugar. Examples are no so ripe honeydew, green apple, celery, etc. They are hard to chew and take a long time to go down or too sour.

If I accidentally got green fruits and do not want to throw them away, I just blend them up and swallow without much tasting, as some sort of good for the body medicines. :)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    crickets.....

haha, they say they eat those in Asia, but I won't hear of it.
  • jdude3262
    jdude3262 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    crickets.....

haha, they say they eat those in Asia, but I won't hear of it.
    There's nothing wrong with some land shrimp. :p
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Bearnaise sauce. I know it's are a bit high calorie, but I cannot overstate how much easier eating stuff you don't like is if you just drop some decent gravy on it. You don't even have to use much. That being said, you need fruits and veggies. You HAVE to eat them at some point, so get yourself something to add to make that not suck.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Try homemade sweet potato chips. There are recipes all over the net; here's one.
    http://minimalistbaker.com/baked-sweet-potato-chips/

I use a pump spray bottle to spray olive oil onto the chips before sprinkling them lightly with salt.