How do fitbits work?

Hi, im hoping someone can help answer a couple of questions i have about fitbits. I've heard that they can calculate your energy expenditure - ie the number of calories burned. Is this just calories burned during exercise or does it calculate your total daily calories burned, ie including when your at rest or sitting at your desk? Just trying to work out the benefits of buying one. Thanks in advance

Replies

• kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Yes, it counts both exercise calories as well as the calories that you burn while at rest.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    It basically calculates your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), so whether you're sitting, sleeping etc, it'll calculate what you burn throughout the day. I've had my fitbit flex for nearly two weeks and I love it, really keeps me motivated and makes me not want to give up.
  • newme700
    newme700 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the reply. So im guessing that the tdee that the fitbit calculates combined with logging my calorie intake on MFP, i can accurately work out my calorie deficit?
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Exactly.
  • newme700
    newme700 Posts: 9 Member
    Thats great, thanks for taking the time to reply. I just have one more question - do all fitbits do this or just the ones that have heart rate monitors?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    newme700 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. So im guessing that the tdee that the fitbit calculates combined with logging my calorie intake on MFP, i can accurately work out my calorie deficit?

Pretty much. FitBits are fancy pedometers. They count steps. There are some models with altimeters (counts stairs) and some models with heart rate monitors. Pick out the model that fits you best.

I use a FitBitOne. My cardio is step based, so the One works pretty well. If you are a swimmer, then not so much. But swimming is steady state cardio so the HRM model would work better for that.

With activity trackers alone, you get a good estimate. Looking at MFP numbers and comparing actual weight loss (or weight maintenance) results will get you closer still.