too much protein

Options
2»

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I always eat about 100 g of protein a day, sometimes more. Protein is very important if your goal is to build muscle and burn stored fat.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    yeah thats a fear I have. I love peanut butter! Maybe I can find a good substitute or at least the lower fat variety?

I, personally, don't recommend using a reduced fat pnb. I used it for a long time until I read the label and saw that it contains hydrogenated oil (trans fats) which is worse for you than the fat in the peanuts themselves. PNB is a healthy snack, you need good fat in your diet and going over on protein isn't a big deal especially if you're working out. I switched to natural pnb and fruit spread on reduced calorie 100% whole wheat bread. I eat it every day before my noon workout. Our group exercise manager at the gym actually recommended it, she eats it often as well. She's in fabulous shape - I'd love to have her muscle definition.
    I don't think pb2 has hydrogenated oil, so it's not in the same category as, say, Jif Reduced Fat, I used to eat it but I wasn't that big of a fan.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    yeah thats a fear I have. I love peanut butter! Maybe I can find a good substitute or at least the lower fat variety?

I like simply Jiff and eat it almost daily (and lose almost daily too!). It's 6 g carb, 16 g fat, and 8 g protein per serving but is low sugar and salt. (It tastes like it too so there is an adjustment period if you're used to high sugar peanut butter.)

You don't want to be ridiculous about protein. Nitrogenous wastes come from protein and if you've heard of antioxidants...the oxidizing agents in our cells that these substances counter are produced mainly by metabolism of proteins. But it takes A LOT of protein to really risk long term damage. My goals are set at 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein and I do quite well with both loss of weight and feeling comfortable during the day.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has a lot of protein and fat, but the protein is good for you and the fat is the good type of fat. It is also a low sodium food. 2 tablespoons of skippy has only 150 mg of sodium. The bottom line is, the default setting for MFP protein is 15%. Way too low. You should set it to at least 25-30%.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You can experience negative side-effects to excesive protein consumption, but you typically have to drastically over-consume and do so for a sustained length of time. Missing your MFP target by a few grams once or twice a week won't be the end of you.

I dramatically over-consumed protein for about four months and had indications of kidney problems in my bloodwork. I was eating proteins at a level consistent with what a strength athlete (ex, powerlifter) would take in, but wasn't even close to the exercise level that would necessitate it. Unless that sounds like what you're consuming you probably don't have anything to worry about.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    MFP sets recommended protein intake really low. I have adjusted mine so that I'm getting over 100g of protein a day and I've been losing weight steadily since I got better about eating more protein and fiber and watching my carb, fat and sodium intake. You can customize your levels of everything by going to Goals on your Home and select to customize them. I have my protein set to 40%, carbs to 40% and fat to 30%. Seems to be working great!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Protein is fine to go over on and I wouldn't even worry about it. Some days I have a hard time just meeting the minimum protein requirements, but on the few days I go over, I'm pretty happy about it! :bigsmile: There's no need to worry about overdoing the protein unless you're eating like hundreds of grams every day.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I was going to pose this same question! So glad I spotted yours first. I just started MFP and I, too, go over my protein everyday. I go over it by much more than a couple of grams. What level do I enter into the "negative side-effects" range?

Jill
    SW:186
    CW:183
    GW:150
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    I go over on fiber and protein every day. And on sugar most days, even though I rarely eat sweets. I've just stopped worrying about it. If 2 pieces of fruit is going to put me over on sugar then so so be it. And fiber and protein are both things my body needs so bring 'em on, I say!!

I concur! I go over on protein and fiber practically every day too. I do not think this is a bad thing.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has too much fat and protein....I had some for breakfast today on 1/2 bagel and then I wasn't allowed much more fat and protein after that. I'm going to eliminate that from my diet now!

Peanut butter is a good diet food!

Even peanut butter, one of America's favorite comfort foods, has a place on a weight loss diet. Studies have shown that snacking on controlled amounts of peanut butter or peanuts is a good way to control hunger without weight gain. One study published in the International Journal of Obesity showed that people who snacked on peanuts and peanut butter stayed satisfied for two to two and one-half hours and did not experience weight gain.
    (http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/dont-ditch-these-fattening-foods-when-youre-on-a-diet)

Peanut butter is not on my list because if I can't put a spoon in the jar and eat it till my mouth sticks closed, I don't want it at all. I am always way over on protein but not the fatty kind for the most part. I have to have protein with everything I eat or I literally eat everything in site. carb sensitivity.