How can I meet my emotional needs without using food?

Options
So I've been paying attention to when I want to eat and am not hungry. I tend to want fat and sweets in the morning at work, particularly if it's cloudy. I know I need a little mood booster. I'm very sensitive to the weather and work.... well nuff said. What do you use to give yourself a little boost without relying on food? Thanks.

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nothing wrong with giving yourself a treat once in a while. Maybe substitute unhealthy sweets, with fruit? I'm not sure if you office has a Keurig coffee machine, but I found the hot chocolate is great for sweet cravings and only 60 cal a cup! I force myself to go to the gym if I am feeling down sometimes...exercise boosts your serotonin levels and feelings of happiness :) Always feel better afterwards, even if Im kicking myself getting there!
  • MudderGrad
    MudderGrad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like adding in some exercise would be good for you. Exercise will definitely boost your mood and there are several different kinds of workouts so you're bound to find something that you will enjoy. ;) Also, having a little treat every now and then will not hurt you because what you should be doing is changing your eating habits slowly so that you can continue to eat the same once you stop losing weight. Weight loss is not about following a some diet and then eating whatever you want afterwards. Hope this helps!
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like to go for a run, meditate, play guitar, or journal when I'm in a bad mood. Or a google that video of Gordan Ramsy talking to the blind pie chef and set myself out for a good cry, depending on the mood.
    If I want a treat that's food, I get myself something like German Chocolate Cake coffee beans and make myself a nice cup of flavoured coffee.
  • tanyacwilson
    tanyacwilson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pray. Turn your problems and stress over to God. Put on some upbeat music and a good cup of coffee.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go the other way...is it possible you haven't been getting enough sleep? One of the most common symptoms of sleep deprivation is a craving for sweets and fatty foods.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Also, David's Tea has lots of dessert flavored teas that have little to no calories but always cheer me up a little.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Next time you visit your doctor, tell him about your mood.
    He might want to check your vitamin D levels.
    * Made a huge difference for me. The amount in my multivitamin was not enough.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    dansing83 wrote: »
    So I've been paying attention to when I want to eat and am not hungry. I tend to want fat and sweets in the morning at work, particularly if it's cloudy. I know I need a little mood booster. I'm very sensitive to the weather and work.... well nuff said. What do you use to give yourself a little boost without relying on food? Thanks.

-- get some extra sleep.

-- get some bloodwork done to check Vit D and other vitamin and mineral levels ... I'd recommend checking things like B12, Magnesium, other B vitamins ...

-- strong cup of black coffee.

-- nice cup of rooibos or lemon-ginger tea. I find both are sweet enough I don't need to add any sweetening.

-- have a mid-morning snack that has some protein ... maybe low cal yogurt, small crackers with cheese.

-- walk or cycle to work ... even if you have to take public transportation part of the way because it is too far to walk or cycle, get off a stop or two early and walk from there.

-- get up mid-morning and do something active for 5 minutes. I climb stairs.

-- get up at lunch and go for a long walk.

-- if you spend your day sitting at a computer, personalise your desktop background with a slideshow of favourite pictures. I only have two monitors, but much of the time I can work on one so I can see my slideshow on the other. If you can't set something like that up on your computer, add pictures to your office ... way back when, I used to gather calendars photos of great scenery and plaster my office with them.

-- if you can, listen to music.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    dansing83 wrote: »

I too am sensitive to weather and take Wellbutrin in the winter. I don't seem to need it as much the other three seasons.

I feel sluggish if I don't get enough:
    1. Sleep.
    2. Protein in relationship to carbs. The MFP default macros: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat are too high in carbs for me.
    3. Exercise. When I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice thanks. I do exercise daily. Walking my dogs when I get home is my way to destress. I was low in vitamin D a couple years ago and have slacked off on the vitamins the last few months. I don't deprive myself of any food group. If I'm really craving sweets I'll have something. I can't do the whole "I'm never eating sugar, white flour, whatever, again." Sleep may be a bit of an issue since I get up at 5:15 am for work. I think I'll explore different teas as well. :smile:
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well done for persevering in the face of that craving. I suggest you take some really lovely speciality tea bags like earl grey or whatever you like and sip those as a boost.
    I see you have a little dog - so taking him/her on a nice walk should lift your mood when you get home.
    Also do you have enough friends in your area? Getting together over a glass of camomile tea is a zero calorie fun.
    Think of some other zero calorie treats: sunbathing with a book
    buying yourself a magazine
    Making something or crafting
    If your job bores you perhaps it's time to get a new job?
    You'll make it!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Next time you visit your doctor, tell him about your mood.
    He might want to check your vitamin D levels.
    * Made a huge difference for me. The amount in my multivitamin was not enough.

I second this. I had no idea I was severely deficient.

And find some music to play. I cannot stay in a bad mood if the right song comes on.
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love this thread...I need these suggestions too! :)
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question! I've been feeling off this week and just super cranky. I don't know why I didn't put the two together earlier but I haven't walked at all this week or done anything outside because I hurt my foot and I'm trying to stay off it. I hope you find answers to your question, I sure did!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have given up on crisps, chocolate bars, diet drinks, cakes and found after a couple of weeks don't crave them at all. I took up running using the Couch to 5k programme and find after running, I feel I have done something positive, I feel fitter, healthier and more confident - no chocolate bar really does much to raise mood, just feel horrible after eating it. Find some activity you might enjoy, see if it works
  • jessasweightlossjourney
    Options
    This is hard for me too but I've had success by finding other comforting outlets such as relaxing music, a good book or movie, a stroll in the park, arts and craft, playing with an animal, anything that you enjoy that might uplift your mood. When I think about binging on something, I tell myself that food is fuel, not comfort. Another thing that has helped is to get rid of the junk food in my house, and instead surround myself with healthy snacks and foods. I like to snack on nuts and dried fruits particularly. Pistachios and dried cranberries are my favorite. Sugar free chewing gum or mints is another way to trick your mind into thinking you're indulging when you're not. Drinking lots of water will keep you full longer so you won't want to eat as much as well. Hope this helps, I was a big emotional eater 80+ pounds ago but once you start to recognize what you're doing, you're capable of turning it around and finding something else to make you happy ☺