Resistant starches

Options
DSTMT
DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
So I'm just now learning about this, I saw an article in a magazine about resistant starches, and found it rather interesting so decided to read more about it. At first glance after reading a couple of things online it seems like something worth looking into further, but I was just curious what other people know about this? Is it nonsense, or is there something to it?

Replies

• DSTMT
    Options
    Anyone?
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    As far as I'm aware it's a benefit to eating whole grains or unprocessed starchy things like beans and promotes good digestion and healthy bacteria in the colon. Plus they aren't fully absorbed and digested, so teeeeechnically you're not getting as many calories as you think you are when you eat them, while still getting really full. Here's a good article about it- http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-resistant-starch. Plus, fiber.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Right on, thanks! I'll have a look at that article!
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Very interesting! It looks like I already do eat quite a few things with resistant starch in them regularly, but maybe I'll try increasing it a bit and see what happens. I've had chronic digestion issues my whole life, so I'm willing to try anything once, lol.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Potato starch kept cool is a good source of resistant starch, feed your gut bugs and fart away :-)
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Yeah I saw that, I know my local grocery store sells Bob's Red Mill stuff, so I'm going to see if they have the potato starch, and then maybe I'll just sprinkle it on food or something and see if it helps. Any suggestions anyone else has would be much appreciated as well!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You can read The Potato Hack. The potato starch you buy is not considered as good as actually eating the potatoes.