1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
    ½ teaspoon seasoning salt, plus more if desired
    couple shakes red pepper flakes
    3-4 dashes smoke paprika
    5-6 dashes black pepper
    1 egg
    1-2 slices wheat toast
    ½ -1 Tablespoon olive oil, for frying meatballs
    I got this recipe off Divascancook website and just tweaked it a little...hope this helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find my turkey meat balls to be tough. I prefer my black bean and turkey chilli. Maybe the strong spices are enough to distract.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My son is an avid hunter -- turkey, pheasant, deer, wild boar, quail, duck -- just about anything. His first step is to soak the meat in milk at least overnight in the refrigerator. After that, season the meat as you would "normal" beef, pork, or chicken. He smokes most of the meats. [His chicken-fried venison is to die for!]

To smoke a turkey, he drapes raw bacon over the entire carcass. Then peel an apple, and lay strips of the peeling on top of the bacon. (The legs are heavily composed of sinew, so he gives those to the dogs and saves only the breast.) He sets the carcass in an old pan (dedicated to smoking meats) to collect the juices and will periodically open the smoker and spoon these juices back over the top of the apple-bacon covered turkey.

Bear in mind that a wild turkey will generally be drier (less fat) than your average store-bought Butterball hen, so you can't let it get too dry while being smoked. Avoid using chicken broth as a baste unless it's heavily diluted -- 3 or 4 parts water to one part broth, and a little UNSALTED butter -- or it will make the turkey too salty.

He has provided the turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas family dinners for years. Yum, yum.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The only time that happened to me was when the meat went bad--it tasted gamey, too, we ended up pitching it. Fresh turkey doesn't smell like anything.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I make Turkey Herb cheese burgers every once in a while. I use basil, garlic, parsley and dill in the ground turkey as I am forming them into burgers and while cooking top each burger with a slice of cheese and leetuce on top of burger
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    The only time that happened to me was when the meat went bad--it tasted gamey, too, we ended up pitching it. Fresh turkey doesn't smell like anything.

Winner!

I've eaten a fair amount of ground turkey, no gamey taste or funky smells. You know know how fast turkey goes bad? Real fast, that's why there's a date on the package.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gamey flavour in turkey, but I also make sure I buy the ground turkey breast. Tastes very similar to chicken.
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lean ground beef is pricy but my fella hates turkey. So I will either mix them half and half, actually kneeding them together. Or save turkey for things that require sauce or high seasoning like tacos. In a pinch cook it in with a little water and a low sodium beef bullion.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weird, I find ground turkey to be basically tasteless. I've never noticed a gamey flavour. I wonder if it makes a difference where it comes from.

Ground kangaroo is very gamey, but lean, so I usually only use it in chilli or something heavily spiced.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Are those of you who find turkey gamey tasting getting wild turkey? Because the farm-raised stuff I buy in the grocery store is close to tasteless.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I need to work more ground kangaroo into my diet. I bet you're from Europe!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I need to work more ground kangaroo into my diet. I bet you're from Europe!

... close...

Kangaroo is delicious, quite similar to Vension, I find. Very lean, so you can't really cook a steak past medium rare without it being tough, but stews down nicely. It's also super cheap.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like more than 93% lean. Very bland and dry. So I'd first make sure to try 93% max lean. It doesn't taste as good as beef to me either, but I find heavily seasoning it with herbs and/or Italian seasoning and some garlic powder (or fresh) helps. If you can add some fresh herbs even better. Fresh basil does wonders for poultry.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    1st day eating clean Ground turkey for dinner cooked wth s&p and garlic powder added 2tbs Prego spaghetti sauce. OMG it was so gamey and texture horrible. I'm not a picky eater and this about did me in !!! Looking forward to answers here

I don't like ground turkey either....it's not like you have to eat it.

We bought turkey breakfast sausage. I really wanted to throw it out but husband insisted we eat it. Managed to toss out the leftovers when he wasn't looking.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I make greek turkey burgers. Add crumble feta cheese, spinach, salt and pepper.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've never had store bought ground turkey that tasted gamey; wild turkey yes, but not the typical Jennie-O or Butterball that you can buy in the US. Like others have said, it's usually pretty bland so I use it when I can add spices (tacos, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc).

I have done a couple of turkey burgers but you need to make sure you're not getting the super lean as they will dry out quicker. I just did one the other week that was Greek inspired - turkey, diced red onion, parsley, crumbled goat cheese, and a palmful of a Greek seasoning blend I had in the pantry. Mixed the ingredients together and formed the patties while on lunch break, covered the plate and chilled them until the evening. Was planning on grilling them outside but mother nature decided that we needed a line of thunderstorms rolling thru all evening so I cooked them in a skillet with a little oil to give them additional moisture and prevent sticking. Another one that we've done is a version of a Juicy Lucy using Brie and topped with grilled granny smith apple slices.