Mashed cauliflower

Options
LeahP527
LeahP527 Posts: 17 Member
I've never tried cauliflower in place of potatoes but I might try it tonight for dinner. Does it really taste like potatoes? What is the best low cal. recipe for it?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It tastes like cauliflower, but approximates the texture of potato. I add light laughing cow cheese.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love it! I steam cauliflower to done. Then place on food processor and mix to mashed potatoes consistent. I add alittle salt and a pat of real butter or alittle cream. Delicious !!!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If you like garlic it's really good with that in it. Lowest calorie would be to fully cook it - roasted has most flavor but steaming or boiling is good too. Mash and puree it really well in a blender or food processor. Add roasted garlic or it can also be boiled or steamed with the cauliflower - 1 or 2 cloves is enough unless making large amount. Small amount of (weighed to fit your calories) grated parmesan adds a nice cheesy flavor or even a little feta. Salt and pepper to taste.

It doesn't taste just like potatoes to me but it satisfies the mashed potato craving. It can be a really delicious low calorie side dish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It tastes like cauliflower. You'll be very disappointed if you expect potatoes... if you're craving mashed potatoes, it's not going to cut it. But if you're just looking for a delicious side dish, it will work!

I also add laughing cow cheese, or cream cheese, with some table blend spices, and use my hand blender to blend it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I add bacon, butter and cheese to mine but as PPs said it's no mashed potatoes.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use 200gr cauliflower cooked in micro for about 3 min or till tender I add 1T. butter and 1oz. cream cheese. I use my submershable blender. very good I think. When I cook a meat such as 4oz pork tenderloin tenderized and coated with 14gr. pork rinds mashed; fried in a skillet with 1 T. coconut oil. When the meat is ready, I pour what is left in the skillet over the prepared cauliflower. Makes a very tasty meal.
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to do 1 part cauliflower and 1 part potatoes. I mash them together then add butter and milk. Salt to taste. Yum!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I used to make a mash with a mixture of potato, cauliflower, broccoli.
    Recently I tried cauliflower on it's own (with a bit of butter, milk, salt and pepper, pureed) and it was really delicious. I'm not usually a big fan of cooked cauliflower, but this was really yummy.
    It tastes nothing like potato, but that's OK, this was good in it's own right.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It tastes great, but does not have the same texture as mashed potatoes.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use roasted garlic,parmesan and cream cheese blended with my inmersion blender...just remember to squeeze as much water out as you can so that is more fluffy than soupy. Immersion blender makes it more mashed potato texture.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I recently tried this and it was pretty good as cauliflower, but pretty disappointing in that it looks like mashed potatoes but tastes nothing like them. It's not a substitute for potatoes unfortunately. Next time I will just add some sauteed onions -- and maybe some cheese and spices -- to steamed cauliflower and forego mashing it up, as my expectations for what I'm about to eat will be much more realistic.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Kib13 wrote: »
    I like to do 1 part cauliflower and 1 part potatoes. I mash them together then add butter and milk. Salt to taste. Yum!

This is a great idea.