Battling obesity for 38 years... Just started a ketogenic weightless journey.

Options
Hi,
I am 48 years old and have been battling obesity since the age of 10. I have lost weight 3 times (getting to my goal weight all three times). The first time was by counting calories. The second time was 10 yrs later and the method I used was an extremely low fat diet, designed by Susan Powter (back in the early 90's). The last time was in 2006 when I had gastric bypass. All three times I was only able to keep my weight down for about 2-3 years... and then gained it all back! Even the gastric bypass that I KNEW was only a tool, wasn't the solution that I had hoped it to be.
Also, for all of my adult life, I have suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome. I have been searching for a solution to this for so long, with no luck. While searching for a CFS remedy, I recently stumbled on Low Carb/High Fat eating plans... further investigation lead me to ketogenic dieting.
I have now embarked on a Ketogenic Lifestyle, and although I have only been doing this for less than 3 weeks, my cravings have disappeared! I am hoping for long term success with this lifestyle.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in specific low carb/keto support I suggest you join this group: The Low Carber Daily Forum here on MFP. Welcome and good luck! :)
  • worstmomof4
    worstmomof4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started keto/bulletproof 4 days ago. I too have lost by calorie counting and intense cardio/weight training or one or another. This will be the last time I have a ton of weight to lose. ;)
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Perhaps seeing a therapist will help you discover the root cause of your inability to keep your weight off. For women especially, there can be a childhood tramatic event that triggers weight gain. Especially after gastric bypass, the fact that you gained your weight back has not only placed tremendous stress on your body, chances of long term success is doubtful until the psychological factors are brought to the surface and effectively dealt with through the help of a professionally trained therapist.
  • kymberkaye
    kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have some of the same issues. I've seen a few post here mention keto, but have no clue what it is. Where can i find more info on that??