Time between first and last meal?

Options
paulinaj419
paulinaj419 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I eat breakfast at about 5:30 am because I work early. Due to this, I eat constantly throughout the day but make it a point to stay within my calorie goal. However, the last time I eat is at about 7 or 8 after I exercise. I've heard you're supposed to have a certain number of hours between your last and first meal but am not sure whether this is accurate. Should I stop eating earlier? Does anyone have any insight on the subject?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is completely irrelevant to weight loss. You can eat when you want, and as long as you're within your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

^ This is correct.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at about 5:30 am because I work early. Due to this, I eat constantly throughout the day but make it a point to stay within my calorie goal. However, the last time I eat is at about 7 or 8 after I exercise. I've heard you're supposed to have a certain number of hours between your last and first meal but am not sure whether this is accurate. Should I stop eating earlier? Does anyone have any insight on the subject?

Calories matter for weight loss not timing.
    Eat when you are hungry and your schedule permits.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Contrary to the above posters, there is evidence that since the body releases certain hormones (ie. insulin) when digesting a meal there are indeed benefits from increasing time between meals. All 6 fat burning hormones are completely blocked by this hormone insulin. This is why Intermittent Fasting has become a popular topic as of late. And since a lot of folks are insulin sensitive, this kind of break from eating is welcome.
    In my own personal case i normally have a 16 hour fast window. This is simply how my lifestyle dynamics worked. Eating my last meal around 6:30 and i enjoy exercising fasted in the morning therefore not having my first meal until 10:30 or so. But i have hit a plateau and thus decided to increase that fasting time period to 20 hours and eating window to only 4 hours a day. It worked. It broke my plateau and i now have opened my eating window to 5 hours a day and fasting 19. I do not plan to stay here too long just until i get to a certain weight. My goal is to return to my previous 16/8 regimen. I should note however that i believe to be pre-diabetic and have insulin resistance but i am only self diagnosing.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Contrary to the above posters, there is evidence that since the body releases certain hormones (ie. insulin) when digesting a meal there are indeed benefits from increasing time between meals. All 6 fat burning hormones are completely blocked by this hormone insulin. This is why Intermittent Fasting has become a popular topic as of late. And since a lot of folks are insulin sensitive, this kind of break from eating is welcome.
    In my own personal case i normally have a 16 hour fast window. This is simply how my lifestyle dynamics worked. Eating my last meal around 6:30 and i enjoy exercising fasted in the morning therefore not having my first meal until 10:30 or so. But i have hit a plateau and thus decided to increase that fasting time period to 20 hours and eating window to only 4 hours a day. It worked. It broke my plateau and i now have opened my eating window to 5 hours a day and fasting 19. I do not plan to stay here too long just until i get to a certain weight. My goal is to return to my previous 16/8 regimen. I should note however that i believe to be pre-diabetic and have insulin resistance but i am only self diagnosing.

Wrong. Meal timing makes no difference.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

What are those benefits you speak of?

Also why would someone who is insulin SENSITIVE need to worry about management of insulin spikes?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just eat when I'm hungry, keeping within my calorie goal and still lose weight as I am doing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are getting enough sleep.
    For me, it was important for weight loss and energy.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    edited June 2016
    Options
    WOW, i didn't mean to offend anyone! Sheesh.

Agree with JanetYellen, sleep is just as important! Lots of stuff going on there with the hormones as well.

The pancreas makes insulin and insulin responds to sugar or anything that turns into sugar (ie. glucose/starch). Insulin is there to go into your cells and remove the sugar. Insulin's purpose it to LOWER the sugar. It utilizes it and all the other nutrients. The goal is 100 if reading your blood sugar levels. Anything higher or anything lower is not good. When it is reading 100, you are at your mental best. When it is high you have diabetes. When that number is low it is called hypoglycaemia (pre- diabetes state, feeling irritable when not eating.). When your body is in either of the 2 above states for too long then the body will "turn off" its' receptors, hence the term "insulin resistance". Because the cells are saying ok we have enough sugar! When this happens it forces insulin to go higher. So being IR is actually your body making too much insulin. It is your body in a time loop which eventually wears the pancreas out. And you are really in a starvation mode but some may be obese.

So the benefits i speak of are letting the body get some rest. Increasing time between meals does this. Insulin isn't being pumped out if there is nothing (food) going in. ...It will balance itself out. It is created to heal. But if you are eating round the clock and have any of the above ailments then you are never getting rid of belly fat or achieving your optimal metal and physical best.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Agree with JanetYellen, sleep is just as important! Lots of stuff going on there with the hormones as well.

The pancreas makes insulin and insulin responds to sugar or anything that turns into sugar (ie. glucose/starch). Insulin is there to go into your cells and remove the sugar. Insulin's purpose it to LOWER the sugar. It utilizes it and all the other nutrients. The goal is 100 if reading your blood sugar levels. Anything higher or anything lower is not good. When it is reading 100, you are at your mental best. When it is high you have diabetes. When that number is low it is called hypoglycaemia (pre- diabetes state, feeling irritable when not eating.). When your body is in either of the 2 above states for too long then the body will "turn off" its' receptors, hence the term "insulin resistance". Because the cells are saying ok we have enough sugar! When this happens it forces insulin to go higher. So being IR is actually your body making too much insulin. It is your body in a time loop which eventually wears the pancreas out. And you are really in a starvation mode but some may be obese.

So the benefits i speak of are letting the body get some rest. Increasing time between meals does this. Insulin isn't being pumped out if there is nothing (food) going in. ...It will balance itself out. It is created to heal. But if you are eating round the clock and have any of the above ailments then you are never getting rid of belly fat or achieving your optimal metal and physical best.
    You really need to stop self-diagnosing and by the way you seem dreadfully confused about insulin resistance and sensitivity. Best to do a little research for your own well being.

OP - eat when it suits you. What and how much you eat in terms of your overall diet matters. Timing of meals is virtually irrelevant.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Insulin is continuously present in the body to counteract the liver continuously breaking down glycogen into glucose in order to maintain adequate blood glucose levels. If there was none of that basal insulin, you would be dead (trust me on this - type 1 diabetics before the discovery of insulin were placed on starvation diets in hopes of giving them a few more weeks/months of life. They often still died from ketoacidosis, a result of not having any insulin, even if they ate absolutely nothing).

I'm confused. You say how a lot of people are sensitive to insulin and should therefore do IF, but then you say that you fast because you believe you're insulin resistant. If someone is sensitive to insulin, then it takes less insulin for the body to achieve desired outcomes (I am a type 1 diabetic who is EXTREMELY insulin sensitive -one unit too much of insulin is enough to send my blood sugar from 100mg/dL, normal, to <20mg/dL, potentially fatally low). Less insulin needed, the body is "exposed" to less of insulin's "fat-storing" properties, so therefore those "fat burning hormones" you mentioned should not be highly affected by the insulin (which hormones are you referring to exactly? Glucagon?).

If you believe you are pre-diabetic, then you need to see a medical professional to get yourself checked out. Self-diagnosing is potentially dangerous, especially if what you are experiencing is the result of another disease. If it is diabetes, then it is best to get it diagnosed as soon as possible before any of the long-term complications of chronically high blood sugars can set in (type 2 diabetes is often a "silent killer", because a person can go years with high blood sugars without feeling unwell, while that high blood sugar level damages organs like the heart, blood vessels in the eye, peripheral nerves, and kidneys).

OP, meal timing doesn't matter, unless you feel like giving yourself a longer window to eat makes it easier for you to eat over your calorie goals. There are days where I am eating for all 24 hours of the day (those brutal days/nights where no matter what I do I cannot bring my blood sugar up) and days where I might only be eating within a 4-hour window, but if I keep my calories consumed less than my calories burned I will lose weight in both situations.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    Options
    @sijomial, no need for personal attacks.

I have done much research in the area of hormones and for many years. What in the above is not correct? If you are going to attack please at least have the decency to back up your words.

Timing of meals may or may not be for the OP. But in my case and the case of many others (do your own due diligence) it has worked.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    Options
    @abatonfan, yes insulin is continuously in the body, agree with you.

I'm referring to Leptin, Ghrelin, Adiponectin, CCK, Epinephrine, Growth Hormone, along with Glucagon.

As a type 1 diabetic, your pancreas is already asleep. This is a whole different thing going on. This needs to be addressed differently albeit injecting insulin.

I can't spend anymore time here. Sorry to open a can of worms. Again didn't mean to offend anyone. Just chiming in what i know from experience of my self and quite a few other's as well.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    But i have hit a plateau and thus decided to increase that fasting time period to 20 hours and eating window to only 4 hours a day. It worked. It broke my plateau and i now have opened my eating window to 5 hours a day and fasting 19.

Is it the time you spend fasting that has helped you lose weight though, or is it because you've got less hours in the days to eat so are consequently eating less?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    The only time meal timing matters is if there's a discount between a certain time if you buy something to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

I apologize in advance if I am mean. In response to your later post, my pancreas isn't "asleep." Instead, my immune system mistakingly marked the beta cells within my pancreas as a threat (the exact mechanism is unknown -it is possibly molecular mimicry with some sort of bacterial/environmental/viral trigger combined with a genetic predisposition to a hyperactive immune system), which resulted in my beta cells being destroyed. I do not produce ANY insulin, so I therefore require insulin injections for survival. Being without insulin for as short as 4-6 hours is enough to send me into ketoacidosis, and being without it for 24 hours is long enough to potentially kill me. The beta cells only compose about 2% of the pancreas though, and other than those cells being dead my pancreas functions like a completely normal person (I still produce glucagon, somatosin, and digestive enzymes).

The beta cells within the pancreas make proinsulin (a molecule that contains insulin and c-peptide. It is eventually split to form individual insulin molecules) and amylin (a hormone responsible for satiety). Insulin has multiple functions within the body. Imagine it like a traffic guard telling cars -glucose- where to go within the body. It will first tell the glucose (from the carbohydrates/proteins we eat) to go to the cells and fill their needs; it will then bind to receptors on the cell surface which will "unlock" the transport proteins in the cell membrane in order to allow glucose to enter the cells. If there's excess glucose after this occurs, the insulin will tell the glucose to go to the liver and muscle cells to be converted and stored as glycogen (glycogen is a very long chain of glucose molecules that can be broken down to provide the body with adequate glucose whenever we're fasting). After this occurs, any insulin that's left over then goes to the adipose (fat) cells of the body to be stored as fat (a long-term energy source). These processes result in blood glucose levels being lowered.

Most nondiabetic's BG levels vary from 60-140 (when you factor in that everyone will experience a small rise in BG when eating). A person is considered prediabetic if their fasting BG is above 100mg/dL (diabetes = >126mg/dL), their oral glucose tolerance test is above 140mg/dL (diabetes = >200mg/dL), or their A1C is above 5.7% (diabetes = >6.5%). What BG level a person functions "best" at is quite interesting. I feel best at around 90-115 (my last A1C was around a 5.2%), while shortly after I was diagnosed (A1C around 11.6%, diagnosis BG 570ish) I felt completely fine if my BG was in the 300s. Someone with hypoglycemia unawareness (often if they experience hypoglycemia frequently) may not feel low if their BG is 50-70 (at these levels, many of the symptoms arise from stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system, such as shakiness, hunger, cold sweats, and irritability) but instead will only feel symptoms when their BGs are in the 40s or lower (when many of the symptoms at this level come from the brain not receiving adequate glucose, such as confusion, seizures, disorientation, coma).

Someone can experience hypoglycemia without being pre-diabetic. I have also found no research that suggests chronic hypoglycemia can lead to insulin resistance.

With hypoglycemia, if blood glucose levels dip below a certain set point then the brain will tell the pancreas to release glucagon. Glucagon is a counterregulatory hormone to insulin -it will tell the liver to break down glycogen into glucose in order to raise blood glucose levels (in diabetics, a high fasting BG may be the result of the somogyi effect, which occurs when BG levels unknowingly dip low overnight, and the liver then releases a ton of glucose into the blood). Of course, it's not perfect (one of the things I need to be afraid of as a type 1 diabetic is that glucagon injections will not work if my liver is metabolizing any alcohol I consume, but alcohol also makes it so that insulin "sticks around" in my system longer and can cause me to go dangerously low).

When BG levels are chronically elevated (which can occur for many reasons, such as chronic stress, obesity, use of corticosteroids), then insulin resistance may occur. Initially, insulin levels will increase due to the insulin resistance (remember c-peptide? C peptide is often used to differentiate between type 1 diabetes and early-stage type 2. Type 1s will have very little to no c peptide, while type 2s will have normal to elevated c peptides initially). Over time, the pancreas almost becomes "burned out", which then causes the amount of insulin produced to decrease.

How is the body is "starvation mode", particularly with type 2 diabetes? When BG levels rise above renal threshold (>180mg/dL), some glucose is excreted through the urine. It's important to remember that type 2 diabetics often produce SOME insulin (versus little to NONE in type 1), so some of the metabolic mechanisms that occur in undiagnosed type 1 diabetes may be different than in type 2. In type 1 diabetes, because there's an abosolute insulin deficiency no glucose can enter the cells, so therefore the body needs to rely on catabolizing proteins/muscle and fat into fuel. The fat process is ketosis. Ketones are slighly acidic and will build up in the blood. When excess ketones build up in the blood combined with dehydration due to glucose being osmotically dense and lots of water being lost through urination, ketoacidosis can occur. In type 2 diabetes, because some glucose can still enter the cells the "keto switch" is turned off, so often type 2 diabetics don't face the immediate risk of ketoacidosis like a type 1 does. The only way I can think of "starvation mode" happening is in the instance of type 1 diabetics who lose a ton of muscle due to the undiagnosed diabetes and therefore would have a lower BMR due to the lower muscle percentage.

There are ways one can reduce their insulin resistance: weight loss and physical activity (My TDD in the weeks after diagnosis was around 40 units, while I was able to cut it by more than half -while eating more carbs- by losing 40lbs and being active). Saying that one needs to fast to improve insulin resistance is debated though -there are some type 2 diabetics I know who are able to maintain optimal BG levels while grazing (especially if they are physically active).
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is the science behind the extended fasting period http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/zBx3JZJCKfNBrWgT0Qyj93/the-big-experiment-could-i-lose-fat-just-by-changing-my-meal-times

However, losing weight is done by your calorie count, not by when you eat your calories. You have to do what works for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @sijomial, no need for personal attacks.

I have done much research in the area of hormones and for many years. What in the above is not correct? If you are going to attack please at least have the decency to back up your words.

Timing of meals may or may not be for the OP. But in my case and the case of many others (do your own due diligence) it has worked.
    @tribalmamaemily
    No personal attack contained in my post at all.
    Your words about self-diagnosis remember.

Anyway not going to derail the thread any more than it has been already.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that meal time affects is having the right amount of protein in your blood if you're heavy lifting to prevent muscle breakdown for energy support. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's a non-issue.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i eat when i am hungry.. it changes day to day.