Running to tone

Options
2»

Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When I started training for a marathon, I went from lifting 4xs per week to lifting 1x\2xs. While I did lose a lot of weight and strengthen my legs, the rest of my body was a little mushy (skinny fat). Now, I run no more than 1x\2x short runs per week (back to lifting 4 days)and a long one on the weekend just to keep up my cardio strength. Yes, I have put on a few pounds but my body is tighter and I look better then when I was focused on cardio.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Start lifting or do some other kind of resistance based exercise to build muscle
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It may not be what you want to hear, but this is probably the way to the goals you're after.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your help , but as I said I cant lose anymore weight and my body fat is already in a healthy state for my age. I just want to tone my thighs.
    Then lift some weights. Or run uphill to "tone up".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your help , but as I said I cant lose anymore weight and my body fat is already in a healthy state for my age. I just want to tone my thighs.
    Then lift some weights. Or run uphill to "tone up".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Running uphill is such a good idea. Surprised that no one else mentioned it !
    Thanks a lot :D
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone :) !
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't life lifting either so I do body weight exercises like squats, lunges, that kinda thing. I'm still getting back in shape after having my second baby so those are still a challenge.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Your question is probably already answered, but I'd like to let you know my personal experience. My years of running certainly helped build leg muscles, and adding incline will definitely help. But I haven't noticed much difference in the inner thighs. I see the greatest difference in my front thighs, calves and glutes (when doing incline). You may look for an alternate exercise if you specifically want to build inner thigh muscles.