Golf

Options
Have any of you come up with logical count of calories burned when playing golf while riding in a cart? It has to be somewhat higher than watching TV! Typical round lasts about four hours. Course is about 3 1/2 miles long but you are riding more than walking. I do not own a fitness bracelet. Thank you!

Replies

• stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would invest in some kind of heart rate monitor for this. Or time yourself whenever you're walking and then add it all together for a small burn. The golf you're describing doesn't sound like a ton of physical effort though so it is a tricky question
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have any of you come up with logical count of calories burned when playing golf while riding in a cart? It has to be somewhat higher than watching TV! Typical round lasts about four hours. Course is about 3 1/2 miles long but you are riding more than walking. I do not own a fitness bracelet. Thank you!

If you are riding, it's not going to burn a ton of calories. Maybe 200. Now if you are walking and it's a hilly/long course, then it's probably more, especially if you are carrying your bag.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would invest in some kind of heart rate monitor for this. Or time yourself whenever you're walking and then add it all together for a small burn. The golf you're describing doesn't sound like a ton of physical effort though so it is a tricky question

HRM are really only good for steady state cardio and are not for daily activity.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

HRM are really only good for steady state cardio and are not for daily activity.

Wouldn't the "active minutes" function on the Fitbit be beneficial for something like that?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Wouldn't the "active minutes" function on the Fitbit be beneficial for something like that?

Probably--HRMs are more commonly thought of as the older models that use a chest trap to monitor HR during exercise, as opposed to 'fitness" or "activity" trackers that use accelerometers to estimate casual activity (and usually do a mediocre job of tracking exercise calories). That's why you got the first response--just a difference in perception of terms.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Probably--HRMs are more commonly thought of as the older models that use a chest trap to monitor HR during exercise, as opposed to 'fitness" or "activity" trackers that use accelerometers to estimate casual activity (and usually do a mediocre job of tracking exercise calories). That's why you got the first response--just a difference in perception of terms.

This is exactly why I gave the answer I did.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Don't bother. Not enough to mess with, just rounding difference.

• vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough to offset the beer when I play.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Riding in a cart? I golf, and when we ride in a cart I honestly can't see burning enough calories to even track them. Unless I'm beating my club against a tree after a bad shot I doubt my heart rate raises much at all.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Put your phone, with the step counter app in your pocket and count steps. Calorie count won't be much more, if any more, than just the steps you take. You gotta walk the course to make golf an exercise worth logging.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I walk and carry, count as 700 cals for 4.5 hour round. seemed to work for me.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

It depends how good or bad you are LOL Either your riding and your shots are always in the fairway and easy to find, or lost in the rough and your searching for 10 minutes. I love golf but I wouldn't count it toward my exercise for the day unless I am slinging my clubs on my back and walking the entire time. I hardly ever ride unless it's very hot and humid outside. If you google, "how many calories are burned playing golf while riding in a cart", you'll see what the average is. It looks like the low side is 411 calories.
  • Doogemccleod
    Doogemccleod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I am not counting on it being substantial, but probably more than we think. I actually cover a lot of ground (walking up to the green following an approach shot while playing partner brings the cart up, from cart to green and back, looking for balls, driving range and putting green, etc.) i figure it has to be 250 more than sitting on the couch! Thanks again!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It is in more than most people think. I logged 500 for 18 holes through most of my 60 lb loss and ate all of them back. Now that I'm down to the last stubborn 10 lbs I'm not logging it at all.

When playing with a partner I often let them drive and I can walk about 2 miles in 18 holes. It's less if I'm driving since I am always with the cart.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Also depends on if you're as bad a player as I am.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    It is in more than most people think. I logged 500 for 18 holes through most of my 60 lb loss and ate all of them back. Now that I'm down to the last stubborn 10 lbs I'm not logging it at all.

When playing with a partner I often let them drive and I can walk about 2 miles in 18 holes. It's less if I'm driving since I am always with the cart.

Love the horse.
  • Doogemccleod
    Doogemccleod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, the horse is funny!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Not really. Active minutes are based on a certain number of steps within a certain number of minutes, and 10 min duration is the minimum counted.