pre-diabetic looking for suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol in February of last year. I was on 4 different medications. I started exercising and watching what I ate which did limit but not eliminate carbs. I introduced veggies into my lifestyle and started weighing the meats that I ate (usually somewhere around 4 oz. is the serving size). I logged everything I ate here at MFP. It made me aware of what I was putting into my body. I lost 55 pounds and my doctor took me off all medication.
    Good luck and much success!

Congrats on your success. I'm not a diabetic, but I limit the amount of carbs, sugar, and increase vegs, potass, fiber, etc. and its help me I dont really get any sugar cravings or feel hungry. or tired. So we will see in the long run. and my blood pressure is 110/70 some times a little below. so I will have fluids.

Thanks so much! It is a day to day process!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic for almost 20 years I hate to tell you that there is no such thing as pre-diabetic. It's like pregnancy; you either are or your aren't! But the good thing is that you can reverse and stop it! I had diabetes in both family sides plus morbidly obesity. I KNEW what was in store for me but did nothing about it for years. Now I am on 4 pills a day. But even now I KNOW I can reverse this and stop the pills. It is so much harder when you get my age (67) but exercise and a new way of eating can help. Good luck and don't give up this uphill battle. It is so worth it in the long run.

Many doctors use the term pre-diabetic when people become insulin resistant but have not yet developed full blown diabetes because it drives home the consequence of not changing current eating and/or exercise habits (i.e. becoming diabetic).
  • debrajane81
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Wil have to spend some time looking around on the web at different stuff. I pretty much know what I should eat ...veggies, fruit, meat but am wondering about the inbetween snacky stuff ya sometimes need to keep ya going? Also, the veggie departmant....I pretty much like - green beans. {well, I like corn & potatoes but those are out} Tried a butternut squash last night....blac.
  • debrajane81
    Options
    Here are a few veggie snack suggestions that we like in our family. Baked Fresh Kale Chips: Buy fresh kale, rinse and pat dry. Tear into chip sized pieces, spread on cookie sheet. spray with PAM and sprinkle with a little salt. Bake at 400 degrees uncovered for about 10 minutes. My son, who is addicted to carbs loves these.

another snack: Buy some fresh sugar snap peas in your produce section. Use these as a dip for hummus. Delicious and healthy and low in carbs.

Baked chick peas: One can of chick peas, rinsed and drained. Sprinkle with garlic or Lawry's seasoning. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or so. Stir them around every 10 minutes or so. Bake until they are a bit crunchy. A healthy, high protein, low fat snack.

Good luck!
  • cowiness
    cowiness Posts: 28
    Options
    Just got my test results back and I am pre-diabetic. Mom is diabetic, on injections 4 times per day. I don't want to go there. But she is of the mind- set, I am on medicine so I don't have to watch what I eat to much. I need to lose around 50 or so pounds. My cholesterol is high too and have just been given a rx for that. I go back in 6 wks for a re-test. I sure want to be lower in numbers all around!

Hey there,

I was just diagnosed with Type II diabetes in August last year, and man it changes your outlook on everything. Excerise is your best friend, i was able to regulate my blood sugar from that alone. Medication to control blood sugar doesnt mean you can 'not watch what you eat' Diabetes is easy to control as long as you're committed to it.

I kind of fell off the wagon when i was doing some final term papers for university, and it makes a huge difference in overall health.