Not able to reach calorie goal

Options
MaeDahlia
MaeDahlia Posts: 4 Member
HEy peeps!

I don't know what to do. I have a calorie goal of 1600 and I'm always 300-400 calories short. If I try to eat more I'll get nauseas cause I'm just too full then... How can I reach my goal???

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Ice cream?
  • MaeDahlia
    MaeDahlia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make "nicecream" out of bananas and almondmilk... Still doesn't help any..
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Come on, you can find a way to eat 300 calories. Two cookies. A big spoonful of peanut butter. Full fat milk and yogurt instead of lowfat...
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Trail mix.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods.......nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy, eggs. Add some of these things back in.

Why "nicecream"? For me this is about lifestyle changes. I will not be eating frozen banana "ice cream" substitute forever. So it's better for me, that I log "regular" foods & manage portion sizes. Maintenance is a forever thing.
  • madelinecamille
    madelinecamille Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, why force yourself to eat more? 1200-1300 is still enough calories in a day.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Avocado.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Pretzels.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Potato chips.
  • TeaBea
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're not hungry, why force yourself to eat more? 1200-1300 is still enough calories in a day.

Enough for who? We are not all the same height, weight, age, activity level, etc. 1200 is a default minimum. Albeit appropriate for a small percentage of women. Perhaps maintaining existing lean muscle mass is more important than just a number on the scale....for some people.
  • Juliemcna
    Juliemcna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose? How did you get to be overweight if you can't eat all your calories?
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    not sure what you are eating or if you are restricting certain foods. look for more calorie dense foods? some examples, heavy cream has 50 cals/tablespoon, coconut milk has 34 cals/tablespoon. here is a link with calorie dense foods too https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/highest-calorie-foods.php
  • madelinecamille
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Enough for who? We are not all the same height, weight, age, activity level, etc. 1200 is a default minimum. Perhaps maintaining existing lean muscle mass is more important than just a number on the scale....for some people.

I get that everyone's different. I said what I did so OP could know that it's ok if the daily goal isn't always met. Obviously I know nothing of what OP's trying to accomplish; just thought I'd add in another option. If your body isn't hungry and it's had good nutrients, why force yourself to eat?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MaeDahlia wrote: »
    HEy peeps!

I don't know what to do. I have a calorie goal of 1600 and I'm always 300-400 calories short. If I try to eat more I'll get nauseas cause I'm just too full then... How can I reach my goal???

Are you using a food scale? Often when people say they can't possibly eat more than 1200 calories, they are actually eating more than they think. If you are eye-balling, using measuring cups, or just assuming that if the package says there are two servings in the box, you can log two servings without measuring - pick up a food scale in Walmart or off Amazon and verify your serving sizes. Also double check the database entries you are using - many are user entered and way off.

It's hard to give any more specific advise without any info about you - what is your goal? what are your stats? how long have you been eating at this level? - and without seeing your food diary. But 1200 cals is not a lot of calories. While it might be enough for some people, there is no reason you should be physically incapable of eating more than that.

If on the other hand your goal is to gain weight and you need to hit your target in order to do that, the previous posts have given you great advice already.

Best of luck!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Seriously? It depends on things like your current weight, build, gender, level of activity, and age. About the only one you can guess at is gender (and these days that's not always a sure thing). So why are you giving MaeDahlia a "one size fits all" number?

MaeDahlia: As others have pointed out, there are plenty of ways to pump up your calorie count without getting nauseated. If you're eating mostly low fat veggies and low fat dairy, for example, it's going to be difficult choking down enough to make 1600 calories. Good fats is one way, eating denser carbs and protein is another way. A protein powder shake with some frozen fruit and soy milk (full fat) and maybe a big spoonful of nut butter if you're not allergic as a snack will give you an extra 300 calories right there. If you're getting nauseated and the reason isn't apparent, you might want to get a physical to rule out anything going on health wise rather than getting medical advice here.

Try putting your data in here -- it's a good way to cross check MFP's recommendations:

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • TeaBea
    Options

Enough for who? We are not all the same height, weight, age, activity level, etc. 1200 is a default minimum. Perhaps maintaining existing lean muscle mass is more important than just a number on the scale....for some people.

I get that everyone's different. I said what I did so OP could know that it's ok if the daily goal isn't always met. Obviously I know nothing of what OP's trying to accomplish; just thought I'd add in another option. If your body isn't hungry and it's had good nutrients, why force yourself to eat?

Of course it's okay (once in a while) to go under on goal. But OP indicated this was more of a regular thing.

We don't know what kind of nutrients OP has had. But hunger is not a good indicator of adequate nutrition anyway. Hunger isn't the thing that tells us our bodies are using existing lean muscle mass for fuel. If OP is average height or taller, if OP is young, if OP is active.....1200 is not a good fit. 100% of weight loss is not fat loss.
  • ajsawrie
    ajsawrie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with this when I was starting out. It should level off soon when your body gets used to the new calorie deficit! :)
  • madelinecamille
    edited June 2016
    Options

Of course it's okay (once in a while) to go under on goal. But OP indicated this was more of a regular thing.

We don't know what kind of nutrients OP has had. But hunger is not a good indicator of adequate nutrition anyway. Hunger isn't the thing that tells us our bodies are using existing lean muscle mass for fuel. If OP is average height or taller, if OP is young, if OP is active.....1200 is not a good fit. 100% of weight loss is not fat loss.
    vingogly wrote: »

Seriously? It depends on things like your current weight, build, gender, level of activity, and age. About the only one you can guess at is gender (and these days that's not always a sure thing). So why are you giving MaeDahlia a "one size fits all" number?

MaeDahlia: As others have pointed out, there are plenty of ways to pump up your calorie count without getting nauseated. If you're eating mostly low fat veggies and low fat dairy, for example, it's going to be difficult choking down enough to make 1600 calories. Good fats is one way, eating denser carbs and protein is another way. A protein powder shake with some frozen fruit and soy milk (full fat) and maybe a big spoonful of nut butter if you're not allergic as a snack will give you an extra 300 calories right there. If you're getting nauseated and the reason isn't apparent, you might want to get a physical to rule out anything going on health wise rather than getting medical advice here.

Try putting your data in here -- it's a good way to cross check MFP's recommendations:

Ok, I guess I'm the a*hole then. My bad.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

vingogly wrote: »

Ok, I guess I'm the a*hole then. My bad.

Nobody was putting you down. They just didn't want advice that could be harmful to sit unchallenged. Sometimes in an open forum, people will point out if your wrong. It's happened to me. I'd rather be corrected than risk my innocently offered post putting someone else in a bad situation.