Losing weight with unhealthy food

Options
Should I feel guilty I'm having frozen pizzas and other junk food even if I stick to my goal calorie intake? I realise this will mean that I'll eat less throughout the day than if I had healthy food.

I'm not talking about health here but strictly if it affects the rate of weight loss.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Google Twinkie diet. While no its not healthy you will lose if you maintain a caloric deficit. You should also take a daily multivitamin since foods like this are micronutrient deficient.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Be aware you are setting yourself up for health problems down the road if this is a consistent thing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Or why not have a diet that consists mainly of nutritionally dense food and suitable calories?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dorian1988 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Or why not have a diet that consists mainly of nutritionally dense food and suitable calories?

I'm very much aware of what I'm supposed to do. But sometimes I just fall pray to the ever growing cravings.

Notice I said "mainly". Some junk food doesn't hurt but whenough it gets to a point it impacts your calorie/nutrition goals it becomes an issue.

I've see various sites that suggest 80-90% of calories should be from nutritionally dense food, the rest from wherever.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I'm very much aware of what I'm supposed to do. But sometimes I just fall pray to the ever growing cravings.

Chances are you're body is craving something more nutritious, but are mistaking them for junk food. It's okay to indulge in pizza once in a while, just don't go overboard with it.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No. Save your guilt for the morning you run over the neighbor's dog. Don't waste it on pizza.

hahahahaha that was pretty epic!!!!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Chances are you're body is craving something more nutritious, but are mistaking them for junk food. It's okay to indulge in pizza once in a while, just don't go overboard with it.

No trust me I'm not mistaking anything. After 2 weeks of diet I'm having enough healthy food, fill full, but the junk food cravings are stronger than ever. It's simply a self distructive desire induced mostly by out society (comercials everywhere, they get into your mind without you realising)

As long as you're meeting your nutritional goals and staying within your calorie goal, the only thing that's creating a self-destructive environment is you telling yourself that you shouldn't have pizza (or whatever other kind of food you want). For a lot of people, just that thought pattern is enough to create cravings. After you've met your basic nutritional needs, fill the rest of your calories with whatever you want.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you take away favorite foods entirely, you'll likely fail at your health goals. A little pizza or a bit of bacon once in a while won't kill you. :)
  • jdude3262
    jdude3262 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's simply a self distructive desire induced mostly by out society (comercials everywhere, they get into your mind without you realising)

You're blaming your indulgences on commercials? Do you own one of every car? A pantry full of maxi-pads? If not, then you can obviously resist their influence.

Commercials aren't your or society's problems.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Pizza and Beer and Candy are diet staples for me. Hasn't affected my weight loss unless I eat/drink too much of it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you have on your pizza it can have plenty of nutritional value. Maybe a little calorie heavy in relation to vitamins and minerals, but far from being a food that is nutritionally empty. Stop feeling guilty about eating pizza. It is fine as part of a balanced diet.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

there is nothing wrong with pizza.
    it has dairy, veggies, sometimes protien.
    and sometimes the body just craves it
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth here.

Ok if you're eating a lower calorie diet, yet you will lose weight, BUT in my opinion you're setting yourself up for failure. I have dieted so many time over the last decade it's not even funny, and every time I have fallen off the wagon and gained all the weight plus more back.

This time I am cutting out as much processed food as possible, I am eating lots of healthy fats such as avocado and fish, and am not eating any refined added sugar at all (or if I DO end up having a small something such as Mayo or mustard that has added sugar I make sure it's a small amount). This time is different, I feel different, I feel like it's sustainable and I've never felt like that at all, ever about a diet. The last time I dieted I would save calories during the day for chocolate at night, and I was always hungry..... So so sooooo hungry, all day. Now I am rarely hungry during the day, by mealtimes yes, but not hungry enough to scarf down 5 doughnuts like I would have done before.

If you want to eat frozen pizzas every night, and you're only counting calories, go for it, but if you want to change your health as well, change your eating habits. :)