How do you reward yourself?

Options
I'm trying to break the cycle of using food as a reward, so I'm trying to come up with with a little reward system. I'm thinking maybe a new outfit if I can lose at least 4 pounds a month ;) How do you reward yourself?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    New goals.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I think that's great that you see the value in breaking the habit of food rewards as that is a cycle that puts us all right back where we started. It's then a vicious cycle.

I think what you've suggested about a new outfit is fine... I don't how much you have to lose. If it's a large amount you might want to hold off on frequent buying of new items or shop garage sales, or thrift shops instead.

If you're looking to lose a small amount that might work out better.

Hope something in there helps :smiley:
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I reward myself every 10lb lost (i have a lot to lose though!)

I do different things but:
    - "Spa" bath (i bought nice bath bombs, new candles, and took a relaxing bath)
    - manicure or pedicure (pedicure is coming up soon!)
    - massage
    - new outfit/article of clothing that I really wanted

I avoid using food as a reward because it is a slippery slope for me
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I buy new clothes when the old ones cant be worn anymore. I have a great tailor but even she has her limits! Or I go get my nails done, ANYTHING but food!! No more birthday cakes at my house either (we are all well past our teen years!) My son had a birthday (31st) recently and we had smores over a campfire. Did you know smores can be had for about 135 calories each - I had one and it was the best smore I have had all year (my first!) No left over cake, no making a cake or buying a cake or thinking about a cake - it was uplifting.
  • jenb8529
    jenb8529 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of getting a manicure or massage! I'm aiming to lose 15-20 pounds so hopefully fitting into new clothes won't be an issue.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Rewards are vital for me this second round of losing weight. I will list the rewards i gave myself to help you.

I started at 295lbs

Every 5lbs lost i give myself a cheat day (usually a pizza for me)
    When i dropped down to 280lbs i started jogging (reffing basketball)
    When i dropped down to 260lbs i bought a workout machine with a 250lb weight limit.
    When i dropped down to 240lbs i started doing pushups and crunches
    When i dropped down to 230lbs i bought a comfy chair with a 225lb limit
    When i dropped down to 225lbs i bought new shirts (went from 2xl down to xl)
    Im at 220lbs now
    When i drop to 215 i will start jogging for fun (i want to do long distances)
    When i drop to 205 i will switch my workout routine from 75%cardio 25%weights to 50% and 50%
    when i drop to my goal weight of 200lbs i will buy large shirts and hopefully size 36 pants
    When i hit my goal weight also will change my workout to 25% cardio and 75% weights

• louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    New clothes (will do soon!) and when I'm at goal I'm going to get a new tattoo!!
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't have set intervals for rewards, it's more of a case when I want something fun if I have lost a decent amount then I'll go for it.

It's always a reward to buy smaller clothes!

My most recent purchase was to upgrade from the Fitbit Charge HR to the Blaze! I won't get anything else for a while now.

I do have a shopping trip planned for Mid-July though ready to shake my smaller booty in some new clothes for my honeymoon in August :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Something fitness related. Just ordered some new headband buffs for my latest reward. Other times it will be something like socks, handwraps, sports bra, fitness jewelry, etc...
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    It was a few years ago when I had to lose weight, but I always rewarded myself by looking in the mirror and being happier with what I saw.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like getting a professional massage after reaching a goal, like running a marathon.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    well, this isn't going to help you much, but i decided to reward myself with food. i LOVE mexican food, esp chips & salsa, so i have decided i am going to have that every saturday if i stay within calorie goal for the entire week.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    New clothes (will do soon!) and when I'm at goal I'm going to get a new tattoo!!

funny - when i hit my goal, i am getting a new tattoo, also! :smile:
    great minds think alike!

• BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just rewarded myself (for a month on MFP, working out & watching my calories) with a new workout outfit and some new Dumbbells. I had an early reward as well-- I purchased a mandolin; beautifully cut veggies are veggies I REALLY want to eat.

At present, I'm trying to make my rewards health/fitness related but in a way that motivates. If I look cute, if my food looks beautiful, I'm more motivated.

As for food, I make room for "rewards" in my calorie allotment. I'm aiming for a lifestyle change & it has to include things I love (sweets, cheese, & wine)!

You've got a lot of great suggestions (I'm going to make the massage one of my rewards for the end of this month). Best of luck!!!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Once every 2 or 3 weeks I get a Double Deluxe burger at Culver's, no fries. 650 calories or so without mayo.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    Once every 2 or 3 weeks I get a Double Deluxe burger at Culver's, no fries. 650 calories or so without mayo.

OMG we have a new culver's. i might have to go try that!!!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Every 15lb lost I'll reward myself. The next one coming up is a new (to me) sundress, and I have my eye on the one I want!
  • markswife1992
    Options
    mathiseasy wrote: »
    Every 15lb lost I'll reward myself. The next one coming up is a new (to me) sundress, and I have my eye on the one I want!

that sounds pretty! i won't reward myself with clothes until i've lost all my weight. i refuse to have a million "in between" wardrobes. LOL