This is why we always tell you to use grams and not cups!

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

REALLY weird nutrition label though because typically they say that one serving is one cup COOKED.

This. The 1 cup is based on cooked.

No, it's not. The label explicitly says 1 cup (56g) dry.

Yeah the label is weird. What brand is it?

Private Selection by Kroger. Basically an "upscale" version of a generic supermarket brand.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

REALLY weird nutrition label though because typically they say that one serving is one cup COOKED.

All the pasta labels in my cupboard are also for dry weight (though for 100g; they also say 1/5 of box, no cup measurement at all). Calories for cooked weight would be so much easier.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

All the pasta labels in my cupboard are also for dry weight (though for 100g; they also say 1/5 of box, no cup measurement at all). Calories for cooked weight would be so much easier.

Unfortunately, cooked weight will vary every single time based on how long it is cooked. The longer it is cooked the more water it will absorb and the more it will weigh. The calories would always be different weighing the cooked amount. The dry weight doesn't ever vary.
    I cook lentils and beans every week and can attest to this.

This week, my lentils in particular were heavy. I weighed out 126 grams dry and came out with over 400 grams cooked.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

This just makes the cups thing even weirder because depneding on how you like your pasta cooked will make the variances even more unpredictable!

Looking forward to the day US nutrition labels ditch the cups (does anywhere else do this? Obviously we don;t in the UK).

Canada uses a mix of Imperial and metric.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Yep!

One minor nitpick, is that cooked pasta on the scale?

Nope. That's what campanelle looks like raw. I'm fully aware that the pasta package says 'dry' as part of the serving size. :wink:

It's cool, I just couldn't tell!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Virtually every pasta has a 2 oz/56 grams serving size dry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Great thread op! Well done!!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    You have the same scale that I have!

I've had it for so long. I'm pretty certain it was purchased because of an old America's Test Kitchen recommendation. Or maybe it was Alton Brown. Hehe. I'd say 80% of my kitchen appliance and gadgets were recommended by one of those two.

Is that the oxo scale with the pull out display?
  • melissa6771
    Options
    BTW... ALL my pasta says the same thing as this label, a serving is 56 grams (2oz.) dry. I have never seen one that says one cup cooked.
  • Wynterbourne
    edited June 2016
    Options

True, but what I was pointing out was that the weight of one cup, for all of those people that insist that because the label also says 56g equals 1 cup, isn't always the case. They insist they can't be underestimating their calories because they used a level cup. But this shows that one level cup is NOT always the 56g that the package claims. It happens all the time.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I've had it for so long. I'm pretty certain it was purchased because of an old America's Test Kitchen recommendation. Or maybe it was Alton Brown. Hehe. I'd say 80% of my kitchen appliance and gadgets were recommended by one of those two.

Yeppers. I got the one with an 11lb capacity. They also make a 5lb one.
  • melissa6771
    Options

Do you love it? I was looking at that one but wondered whether the pull out would be more likely to break
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Great post OP. Weigh your food people!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

It's the America's Test Kitchen top pick for digital food scales. I have the 11 pound one as well. The five pound capacity one is half the price.

Do you love it? I was looking at that one but wondered whether the pull out would be more likely to break
    The pull out doesn't seem at all fragile.

Now, can anyone tell me how to make grams the default when it turns on?
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
    Options

This, exactly this.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Very much so. I've had it for a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's the America's Test Kitchen top pick for digital food scales. I have the 11 pound one as well. The five pound capacity one is half the price.

The pull out doesn't seem at all fragile.

Now, can anyone tell me how to make grams the default when it turns on?

Strange, for me it's always stayed with whatever it was set to when it turned off. I wonder if some of them were 'defective'.