Cardio lover looking to gain muscle mass

Options
cfamq8db0pdx.jpg
(Body progress pic taken May 27)

I love both cardio (trail running/road running/cycling) and weight lifting (Body building/power lifting/Olympic lifting).
I've been on a quest to maximize my muscle mass, and when I got my body measured yesterday on May 26 via a bio-impedance analyzer, I got the following stats:
  • Weight: 72.4 KG
  • Muscle mass: 60.0 KG
  • Body fat: 8.9 KG
  • Body fat percentage: 12.3%

I'm pretty happy with my stats, although I am shooting to get my body fat down to below 10%.

I love long trail runs, but when I do cardio training, I usually do HIIT training.
I also take BCAAs before my cardio workout to minimize muscle breakdown.

I shoot to eat around 2,200 kcal with 40% of my calories coming from my protein.

Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing?

Thanks!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The desire for muscle gain could be negatively affected by the cardio you like to do.

Eating enough to cover both activities obviously important - but also enough recovery from both.

If the cardio prevents you from pushing the muscles as hard as they could be because of being tired - then you aren't overloading by weight during lifting, or not as much as possible - so slower improvements and less need to gain.

If the cardio prevents a good repair/recovery from a good lifting session, and you keep that up - then eventually you don't make as much if any improvement from the lifting as you could otherwise.

So how do you structure your schedule - mainly lower body lifting along with the cardio since it's lower body too?

You are at the point you'll have to do a lot of things right to keep making progress, and depending on how long lifting - it could be very slow anyway.
  • imjms737
    imjms737 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for your input, heybales.

A good point about running-induced muscle fatigue prohibiting my weight training progress.

On days when I run and lift, I usually do upper-body body building exercises at the gym.
    On days when I only lift, I do lower-body heavy exercises, with olympic lifting movements (front squat, clean, clean & jerk, deadlift, etc)

Until now, I focused (to a fault) on getting my runs and gym sessions into my schedule, but your comment made me want to become more schematic in my planning.
    Perhaps alternating lifting and running days ;)
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jangboolee wrote: »
    cfamq8db0pdx.jpg
    (Body progress pic taken May 27)

I love both cardio (trail running/road running/cycling) and weight lifting (Body building/power lifting/Olympic lifting).
    I've been on a quest to maximize my muscle mass, and when I got my body measured yesterday on May 26 via a bio-impedance analyzer, I got the following stats:
    • Weight: 72.4 KG
    • Muscle mass: 60.0 KG
    • Body fat: 8.9 KG
    • Body fat percentage: 12.3%

I'm pretty happy with my stats, although I am shooting to get my body fat down to below 10%.

I love long trail runs, but when I do cardio training, I usually do HIIT training.
    I also take BCAAs before my cardio workout to minimize muscle breakdown.

I shoot to eat around 2,200 kcal with 40% of my calories coming from my protein.

Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing?

Thanks!

Happy to help you out. List out what you eat exactly in a given day (I know there will be variation). List out the weights, sets and reps used for the following lifts/variations Deadlift/Squat/Bench
  • heybales
    Options
    If doing a split upper/lower program - I'd actually put the running right after leg session if time allows.
    You can make this as intense as you desire, intervals, short and hard, hills, ect.
    You'll of course be limited by however much the leg lifting wiped them out. Though it is different muscle fibers.
    If a longer easier run, just fine too.

But - that means the next day is repair for all of it at once. And if that happens to be upper lifting day - great.
    A slow easy jog in recovery HR zone (able to sing at this pace) would allow getting blood flow to legs to aid healing - and improve your fat burning ability - in case endurance races are an eventual desire.

• imjms737
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey @Longevity100 ,
    Thanks for your offer.

My diary should be public, but in general, I shoot for 2,370kcal a day with 40% protein, 35% fat, and 25% carbs.
    (I tend to be more lenient with my carbs on my weight training days)

I'm trying out 1 day of powerlifting movement, 1 day of olympic lifting, and 1 day of body building.
    (Maybe I'm trying to do too much and am ending up doing less...? Any input would be appreciated)

<Workout log from my powerlifting day>

Back squats
    1. 90kg X 5reps
    2. 100kg X 5reps
    3. 105kg X 5reps
    4. 110kg X 5reps
    5. 115kg X 5reps
    Overhead press
    1. 40kg X 5reps
    2. 42.5kg X 5reps
    3. 42.5kg X 5reps
    4. 40kg X 3reps
    5. 35kg X 5reps
    Deadlift
    1. 130kg X5reps
    Accessory lift
    1. Dumbell curl and press = 28kg X10reps

<Workout log from my olympic lifting day>

Front squat
    1. 50kg X 10reps
    2. 70kg X10reps
    3. 82.5kg X5reps
    Clean
    1. 50kg X3reps
    2. 60kg X3reps
    3. 60kg X3reps
    4. 62.5kg X3reps
    5. 70kg X3reps
    Hang clean
    1. 50kg X3reps
    2. 50kg X3reps
    3. 62.5kg X3reps
    Power clean
    1. 60kg X3reps
    2. 60kg X3reps
    3. 65kg X3reps
    4. 65kg X3reps
    5. 70kg X3reps

And my bodybuilding days are just a collection of accessory lifts, mostly focusing on upper body, with medium weights, 15-20 reps, with most movements ending with a superset with light weights.
  • heybales
    Options
    That changing of set/rep ranges has been found to be very beneficial - as long as you have your notes as to correct weight to still make it a good workout - and you likely do.

Many starting out spend so much time trying to find the correct weight for the different ranges - they'll lose strength before they find it.

With the interest in cardio - that sounds like lowish carbs - which is used for repair in lifting too.

After a certain point, extra protein isn't a benefit unless just needing to feel full - and if eating enough, that's usually not a problem anyway. But more protein than needed could prevent you from getting enough say carbs in.
  • Longevity100
    Options
    Hey @Longevity100 ,
    Thanks for your offer.

My diary should be public, but in general, I shoot for 2,370kcal a day with 40% protein, 35% fat, and 25% carbs.
    (I tend to be more lenient with my carbs on my weight training days)

I looked through your diary, here are my suggestions.

1. Experiment with these macros

Training Days

Carbs: 360g from (Fruits, Oats, Potatoes, Quinoa, Beans, Rices, if you have digestion issues with any of them let me know and I'll tell you how to fix them)

Protein: 180gs mainly from organically farmed grassfed animals. Add lots of variety here
    ( Beef, Bison, Chicken, Venison, Pork, Chicken, Eggs, Turkey, Quail, Duck, Salmon, Tuna, Shrimp, Cod, Trout, Crab, Lobster, etc) Plant based sources are fine too, beans, nuts, seeds, various planet based powders.

Fat: Whatever comes with the protein, generally speaking, eat leaner meats on these days

Vegetables: 2 handfuls of leafy greens

No Training Days

Carbs: 180g from (Fruits, Oats, Potatoes, Quinoa, Beans, Rices, if you have digestion issues with any of them let me know and I'll tell you how to fix them)

Protein: 250g mainly from organically farmed grassfed animals. Add lots of variety here
    ( Beef, Bison, Chicken, Venison, Pork, Chicken, Eggs, Turkey, Quail, Duck, Salmon, Tuna, Shrimp, Cod, Trout, Crab, Lobster etc) Plant based sources are fine too, beans, nuts, seeds, various planet based powders.

Fat: Whatever comes with the protein you can have fattier cuts this day

Vegetables: 2 handfuls of leafy greens

I'm trying out 1 day of powerlifting movement, 1 day of olympic lifting, and 1 day of body building.
    (Maybe I'm trying to do too much and am ending up doing less...? Any input would be appreciated)

<Workout log from my powerlifting day>

Back squats
    1. 90kg X 5reps
    2. 100kg X 5reps
    3. 105kg X 5reps
    4. 110kg X 5reps
    5. 115kg X 5reps
    Overhead press
    1. 40kg X 5reps
    2. 42.5kg X 5reps
    3. 42.5kg X 5reps
    4. 40kg X 3reps
    5. 35kg X 5reps
    Deadlift
    1. 130kg X5reps
    Accessory lift
    1. Dumbell curl and press = 28kg X10reps

<Workout log from my olympic lifting day>

Front squat
    1. 50kg X 10reps
    2. 70kg X10reps
    3. 82.5kg X5reps
    Clean
    1. 50kg X3reps
    2. 60kg X3reps
    3. 60kg X3reps
    4. 62.5kg X3reps
    5. 70kg X3reps
    Hang clean
    1. 50kg X3reps
    2. 50kg X3reps
    3. 62.5kg X3reps
    Power clean
    1. 60kg X3reps
    2. 60kg X3reps
    3. 65kg X3reps
    4. 65kg X3reps
    5. 70kg X3reps

And my bodybuilding days are just a collection of accessory lifts, mostly focusing on upper body, with medium weights, 15-20 reps, with most movements ending with a superset with light weights.

A lot of different ways to train to add size and I could say a lot about program design. The core of any successful program has the lifter getting progressively stronger on some form of Dead-lifting, Squatting and Pressing. Unless you're unhappy with your training, no need to change it up. I believe that with the nutrition changes you'll see a significant change in your physique over the next 3-6months following the same routine your on now.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You are gonna need to eat more if you want to add mass. While I think the plan posted is a bit crazy, you do have to eat more.
  • imjms737
    Options
    @Longevity100: Thank you so much for your detailed response! I'll try out the macro goals you suggested and see how my physique changes.

@Hornsby: I agree - if I'm focused on building mass, 2370kcal won't cut it at all. I'll try to eat more! And could you give me a bit more feedback on my routine?
    Do you mean "crazy" as in I'm overdoing it? Trying to do too much? Not enough?
    PS I also do 5-6K 400m interval HIIT runs on my non-lifting days.
  • heybales
    Options
    True HIIT (not the HIIT label slapped on any routine that is intense fad that is happening) running is as close as you can get to lifting for a cardio workout.
    All out intense anaerobic effort followed by rest, repeat for some sets. Overload the muscles by intensity of weight of moving you fast.
    Even follows the sets method.

But if using the same muscles that were worked out day before .....

Would you do squats 2-3-4 days in a row?

You probably don't even realize the impact you are causing to your recovery from a good lifting workout - if still getting them for legs.

Suggest you drop them for a week or two and compare progress on lifting days. Throw the HIIT on at the end of lifting day if you just love doing it.

Are you doing it because you heard it was good for fat-burning compared to regular cardio?
    True - because it's so close to lifting in effect.
    But if lifting - skip the HIIT.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I think there's a typo here. Did someone actually say they love cardio? :lol:
  • heybales
    Options
    I know several that commented they normally can't do "normal" cardio - but they get something out of the sprint intervals they love.
  • imjms737
    Options
    @heybales: Thanks for your input. I do HIIT since I love trail running and competing in trail races, so I do it to train my aerobic fitness without having to do long runs, which I read are not good for muscle growth.
    But you do raise a good point in not giving my legs enough time to rest..
  • imjms737
    Options
    @beautifulwarrior18 haha I do love the intensity I feel in the gym, but the tranquility I feel when running through the mountains is also surreal. Love them both!
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My husband is like you. He says he's a weight lifter who runs. When he really gets into the running. He looks more like you. It's just a different look. But he seems to lift more in the winter and cut back on the running and his shoulders seem to get bigger. Lol.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think there's a typo here. Did someone actually say they love cardio? :lol:
    @beautifulwarrior18

It's not that unusual.
    Cycling in beautiful countryside is cardio too remember.

My jaw muscles are fantastically well developed! :smiley:
  • jojolovesu0
    jojolovesu0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on gaining weight and being dissappointed, try taking up a skill such as krac maga or kung fu. Once you start doing serious reps, you will not only notice a change in muscle mass, but a change in your outlook of life. Don't underestimate.
  • Longevity100
    Options
    How is everything coming along?