Why I love running

Options

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Also, the competition factor--with myself. I've gotten my pace down a whole minute this year and I'm super excited about that. Getting an extra few floors on the stair master or distance on the elliptical just don't excite me like that little voice on Fitbit telling me my split pace!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm with you! I started running almost exactly a year ago and am hooked. So many reasons to love it, the calorie burn definitely being one of them.

I ran 18 miles on Friday and then went to Vegas for the long weekend - those additional 1900 calories were quite helpful in off-setting the Vegas boozing!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love running, too! I love that I can eat more and not gain weight. I love the feeling of accomplishment. I love the shape of my legs. I love being able to clear my mind and just run.

Unfortunately I cannot run again until November (ACL surgery) so I might have to learn to love cycling for a little while.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I started running almost exactly a year ago and am hooked. So many reasons to love it, the calorie burn definitely being one of them.

I ran 18 miles on Friday and then went to Vegas for the long weekend - those additional 1900 calories were quite helpful in off-setting the Vegas boozing!

18 miles in under a year!! That's amazing! There is hope for me then -

I've stopped & started c25k over and over the past few years and I know my lack of completion is mostly a mental game I'm playing with myself. "I can't go further", "I'm too old for this (I'm only 42, lol), "I'm just not a runner".....but I want to be, haha. Your progress is inspiring to me!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love running too, but the extra caloires will (have have proven to do so while I ran marathon after marathon and ultra marathon and gained weight). However if I just do a little quality running, and still eat just the right amount and not extra, I stay fit and trim. Everyone is different, but most females will experience extra hunger and it won't serve them well if they spend too many hours running.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Curious how old most of you are. I love the idea of running but not the actuality so much. I am 61. I see two of you in your early 50's.
    . I am still a runner at age 55. Age is not a factor, but pushing through until your body is conditioned for it is, edging your way up. Conditioning is the key, the body has to have time to adapt to a new type of stress.

• katemartino8
    katemartino8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Running has been my work out of choice since starting my health and weight loss journey! I've tried SO many different work outs but always go back to running. Getting leaner when the weather warms up and I can run more is icing on the cake for me, I simply love how I feel during and after a run, more energy, improved mood...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Curious how old most of you are. I love the idea of running but not the actuality so much. I am 61. I see two of you in your early 50's.

61 here also. Ran in High School, College and Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Laid off it for a long long time and started again about two years ago. May 15 first 5K 29:09; Memorial Day second 5K 28:28. Now signed up for another 5K in July, a 4 miler in August and, gulp, a half marathon in September. My wife now just looks at me and shakes her head, but, with a smile.

Oh gosh. I really have never been into running except for about a year in my 30's when I worked up to and maintained about 3 miles a day. I was in pretty good shape, I will admit, and kept my weight down. I have on my list of requirements :) for "optimal health" to be able to run a mile on any given day. I am too heavy to do that now, and would huff and puff for even an eighth of that, I am sure. I do a reasonably vigorous Jazzercise class 4 days a week. I take the dogs for a walk. I am going to start jog-walking and see if I can get the "run a mile on any given day" accomplished yet this year. I know it will take some time for my body to adjust, and I will need to carefully choose my shoes and my surfaces to protect my joints. Why am I feeling so weepy and intimidated by this? Ridiculous! Just do it!

Karen in Virginia
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

46. Ran (sprints/hurdles) in middle school because it was an easy way to earn a letter. Tried running casually in college because everyone else was doing it--hated it. Started running again in earnest in 2012 because I couldn't keep up on the lacrosse field with a bunch of 12-year-olds. Stuck with it. Have run several 5Ks, a handful of 5 milers and 10Ks, and 2 half marathons since then, and had my eye on running a marathon this summer to try to qualify for Boston...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

61 here also. Ran in High School, College and Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Laid off it for a long long time and started again about two years ago. May 15 first 5K 29:09; Memorial Day second 5K 28:28. Now signed up for another 5K in July, a 4 miler in August and, gulp, a half marathon in September. My wife now just looks at me and shakes her head, but, with a smile.

Oh gosh. I really have never been into running except for about a year in my 30's when I worked up to and maintained about 3 miles a day. I was in pretty good shape, I will admit, and kept my weight down. I have on my list of requirements :) for "optimal health" to be able to run a mile on any given day. I am too heavy to do that now, and would huff and puff for even an eighth of that, I am sure. I do a reasonably vigorous Jazzercise class 4 days a week. I take the dogs for a walk. I am going to start jog-walking and see if I can get the "run a mile on any given day" accomplished yet this year. I know it will take some time for my body to adjust, and I will need to carefully choose my shoes and my surfaces to protect my joints. Why am I feeling so weepy and intimidated by this? Ridiculous! Just do it!

Karen in Virginia

Karen:

Amazon has several "apps" from Personal Running Trainer. 4 Weeks to a mile; 8 weeks to 5K; 8 Weeks to 10K and # Weeks to a Half Marathon and some time to a Marathon. Start with 4 Weeks to a Mile, a series of walking and running to get started. Try it, if you like it, continue, if it's not for you, try something else. Your age is NO reason not to give it a whirl.

Don't want the coaching? Go for a walk. After a while, jog a small portion, as you feel, increase the jog to a run and lengthen your distance. But, if you don't like it, don't do it. Find something you like. There are many, many options.
  • 74Patricia
    74Patricia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Two reasons:
    1. Running is one of those things where I can make the rest of the world go away - even for just briefly - but the rest of the world just doesn't exist, and I'm good with that.
    2. Done right, the afterburn from running is a joy to behold.

Ain't nothing like it

Agreed!! It is like a mind vacation for a moment in time.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

Karen in Virginia

Karen:

Amazon has several "apps" from Personal Running Trainer. 4 Weeks to a mile; 8 weeks to 5K; 8 Weeks to 10K and # Weeks to a Half Marathon and some time to a Marathon. Start with 4 Weeks to a Mile, a series of walking and running to get started. Try it, if you like it, continue, if it's not for you, try something else. Your age is NO reason not to give it a whirl.

Don't want the coaching? Go for a walk. After a while, jog a small portion, as you feel, increase the jog to a run and lengthen your distance. But, if you don't like it, don't do it. Find something you like. There are many, many options.

Thank you, I will look at it. Any other helpful hints welcome! I feel sort of excited...