Keto anyone?

Options
I am on my third day of my new keto lifestyle of high fat low carbs (only 20g a day!). So far it has not been too bad but I was wondering if there were any of you out there who've already done and have some tips.

Replies

• Nurse_81
    Nurse_81 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm on a VLCD which puts the body in ketosis, I have 1/2 meal replacements and low carb meals for the rest of the day
    I am supposed to stay under 800 calories but slipped up yesterday
    I'm still in Ketosis so I'm quite happy (checked this morning )
    What sort of things are you eating?

xxxxx

• ashtoncurtis91
    ashtoncurtis91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh wow that sounds like it could be difficult. So far it's mostly meat in every meal with some veggies or eggs. I not the biggest meat eater though, if it wasn't for the bulletproof coffee/tea I wouldn't even be close to my fat goal for the day.
  • kittn_mittns
    kittn_mittns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't feeling hungry you don't have to worry about making your fat macro :)
    Protein is a goal, carb is a limit, and fat is to satisfy!
    I also have bulletproof coffee every morning, it's a huge help.
  • tnevin225
    tnevin225 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for a week now, and I can tell its going to be good. I'm already noticing the chronic pain diminishing and many other problems slowly getting better. There are some great books I have found on Audible that I listen to, One is keto Clarity, Keto Adapted, and the one that just blew me away is Grain Brain that explains our food system today and why were getting so fat and have so many medical issues today. Good Luck T.Nevin
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p2

This excel sheet allows -you to filter out foods according to high-low fat content. You guys can check it out. I'm on vegetarian keto for couple of weeks just to test it out. 50 grams a day.

• kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for 2 years now, I am going full steam ahead. Have been about 20 mos since my last MS relapse, feel great! Not gonna lie, I have a high carb day about 1x/2 mos... usually for holidays. Warning... by the end of the day and the next I feel like s**t. But, I love it.
  • jennyinstereo
    jennyinstereo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 8th week of Keto and feel great. My back pain is gone, heel pain is gone, I can sleep on my back again, heartburn is completely gone, and I've lost 22lbs. I am doing strict keto and track everything in MFP. My husband has also lost 22lbs in our 8 weeks of keto. No turning back!
  • edival
    edival Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    17 months keto today. I love it.

For those who may be interested in how it affects a person's blood markers:

April 2014:
    Tri: 1.75/155
    LDL: 2.5/96.8
    HDL: 1.09/42.2
    Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 4.05 (prefer under 5.0, ideal under 3.5) - GOOD
    HDL/LDL ratio is 0.433 (prefer over 0.3, ideal over 0.4) - IDEAL
    Tri/HDL ratio is 3.690 (prefer under 4, ideal under 2) - NORMAL

June 2015 (6 months keto)
    Tri: .99/87.7
    LDL: 4.7/181.7
    HDL: 1.35/52.2
    Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 4.83 (prefer under 5.0, ideal under 3.5) - GOOD
    HDL/LDL ratio is 0.286 (prefer over 0.3, ideal over 0.4) - AT RISK
    Tri/HDL ratio is 1.692 (prefer under 4, ideal under 2) - IDEAL

May 2016 (almost 17 months keto)
    Tri: .64/56.69
    LDL: 3.3/127.61
    HDL: 1.43/55.3
    Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 3.53 (prefer under 5.0, ideal under 3.5) - GOOD
    HDL/LDL ratio is 0.430 (prefer over 0.3, ideal over 0.4) - IDEAL
    Tri/HDL ratio is 1.036 (prefer under 4, ideal under 2) - IDEAL

NO ONE should be able to tell you that keto is dangerous or bad for your heart! My numbers are PERFECT!
  • edival
    edival Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kendallvon wrote: »
    I've been keto for 2 years now, I am going full steam ahead. Have been about 20 mos since my last MS relapse, feel great! Not gonna lie, I have a high carb day about 1x/2 mos... usually for holidays. Warning... by the end of the day and the next I feel like s**t. But, I love it.

I know 2 men with MS who I desperately wish they'd listen to me about keto, but they're just not interested in even reading bout the benefits. It's so frustrating.
  • ashtoncurtis91
    ashtoncurtis91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips and great stories! It's actually my birthday tomorrow and I was starting to feel a little discouraged as I'm either going to through keto flu or actually getting sick. I'm going to be a bit more flexible tomorrow but will be jumping back on the train Saturday.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    kendallvon wrote: »

Your story is awesome. I went off sugar and all grains Oct 2014 trying to prevent needing Enbrel injections for my joint and muscle pain of 40 years. 30 days later my pain level of 7-8 had dropped to 2-3 but that was just the start of what eating keto has done for my health.

I have two friends with MS. Both are maybe mid forties. The guy is still strong but in a lot of pain. The lady is in a wheelchair. I know what keto WOE as done for me but I am never sure where I should mention it to others. edival points out while I hesitate.
  • Ilikeyoursleeves
    Ilikeyoursleeves Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto since March of this year and feel great! Feel free to add me as I don't have many Keto friends.