Diet Restrictions you place on yourself?

Options

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I didn't place this on myself, but I don't eat carbs without eating protein as advised by my dietician.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I make healthier choices. I don't think of it as restricting my diet.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. this is my way of life. if I want something, I MAKE it fit my macros.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm another "no restrictions" person. I don't enjoy making rules that I have to tiptoe around - the minute I make a rule, I want to break it.

Everything is permitted (but not everything is beneficial).
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Stay within calories.
    Stay within carb limit no more than 10 g over
    Exercise at least 5 days a week.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from gluten. My sister has celiacs and on occasion if I eat gluten my stomach acts up so I try to stay away from it as much as possible.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to what I eat, but I like to think of it as boundaries and not restrictions. It's more that I mostly avoid and stay away from, not cut out completely, I also focus on things I DO, not so much things I DON'T do.

My "rules", or guidelines:
    • I eat four meals per day, nothing between meals.
    • I drink non-caloric beverages between meals - water, black coffee and unsweetened tea.
    • I drink at least 8 cups of water every day, more when I'm thirsty.
    • All meals consist of - at the very least - protein, fat (preferably a naturally fatty protein source) and vegetables. They are also portion controlled - through prior calorie tracking.
    • Every day I eat four portions of vegetables and three portions of fruit, and some nuts.
    • I eat a varied diet and change up and rotate items continually. I have weekly dinner themes:
      • M - one pot wonder;
      • T - white meat;
      • W - leftovers from Monday;
      • T - fish;
      • F - freeday;
      • S - carb nite;
      • S - red meat.
    • I keep a well-stocked pantry (and freezer). Just enough in the fridge to tide me over until next shopping trip.
    • I cook from scratch a lot, but keep it simple.
    • I plan my meals, and because I only eat food I like, I tend to follow my plan quite well.
    • I write shopping lists based on what I'm going to eat/make, and stick to the list when I'm shopping. I don't buy anything that isn't on the list, or not going to be used in a meal. So I don't buy snack/junk food.

My mantras:
    • I eat anything I like, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    • Food is supposed to taste good, but not too good.
    • I love food that loves me back.
    • Everything in moderation, including moderation.

most of these. I listen to my body's signals and don't eat/drink when i am not hungry/thirsty. I don't restrict myself anything.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, wheat, or swordfish...they are migraine triggers for me, and totally not worth the agony...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid highly salty things if they would put my daily total of sodium over 1500 mg.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't have any restrictions other than my cherry allergy. I'm trying to focus more on portion control and choosing healthier options (like a small bowl of sliced strawberries with a little bit of chocolate syrup for a snack vs the ENTIRE full-size Lindt dark chocolate bar). I'm also trying to do some form of cardio (walking or jogging - I don't classify my 12-13min/mile pace as running yet) at least 5 times a week. I need to start doing more body weight/dumbbell exercises again but if I try to add too much "new" at once, I get disillusioned quickly. Once I get a better handle on what I'm already doing, I'll add in another layer of healthy habits.

That said, I've found that as long as the "junk" food options are out of sight, they're usually out of mind. I have a wicker basket on the top shelf of the pantry that corrals the sweets. I know it's there, but it's not staring me in the face every time I open the pantry. Also, my husband keeps his work snacks in our secondary food storage area by the basement fridge so while he has a Costco sized variety to choose from everyday, they're not overflowing our small main kitchen pantry (he's a 6'7" construction superintendent and a "slow" day for him is 15K steps so if he munches on a couple single serve packs of trail mix or cookies, he pretty much walks off the calories before noon anyway).

If it's not a food that I really like, I'm not going to waste my calories on it. There's a small local dive in a neighboring town that makes awesome burgers but their fries are just basic frozen fries (all burgers come with fries, the only "salad" on the menu would be the lettuce leaf, onion, and tomato slice that comes with the burgers). So while I'll thoroughly enjoy the burger when we go there, I might only have four or five of the fries.

Moderation and trying to get close to my macros is how I'm handling this lifestyle change. I'm still going to have wine, beer, chocolate, pasta, bread (preferably a really good artisan), red meat, fats, etc - just smaller portions or not as often as I used to. I like the mantra above "I eat anything I like, but not everything at once, and not all the time".
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    No added sugar or grains. I don't weigh, count calories or log. I keep my meals at about 75% vegetables and 25% protein.

just out of curiosity.....and yes, I know it killed the cat (lol), what do you do here?

As I am sure you are quite aware, MFP members adhere to many different ways of living/eating which is quite evident if you look at the very diverse groups.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just to correct you. Please don't think of it as a diet. Diets suck you deprive yourself of stuff you're miserable and that's why diets fail think of this as a lifestyle change. educate yourself and use this app as a reference guide I learned a lot especially in the community section.

Unless you're specifically allergic to something anything is a viable food option. What it simply comes down to if you want to lose weight, eat less calories then calories the body uses.

As for myself I don't deny myself anything. If I had to deny food that I like I don't think I'd be able to continue this.

I like an occasional Wendy's hamburgers I like beer I like pizza I like cognac. It's a simple matter of staying within your caloric goals.

Couple years ago there was an article in USA Today about a high school teacher who lost a hundred pounds in a year by just eating McDonald's food. He had his students plan his meals every day based on caloric goals and since he was lower than his caloric burn, he was able to lose the weight. On the other hand what it did to his body from the nutrition point I wouldn't want to do that to myself
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back on my dirt and rocks intake.

I do not eat sweet things cause I lost my taste for them. I do eat a piece of my mom's pumpkin pie every Thanksgiving though. My mom is awesome, and I think she uses half sugar in her pie recipe anyway. So I forgive myself for that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Rather than restrict I expand... I like to try new foods.. Different veggies, fruits, grains, spices, recipes, new ice cream flavours ;)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I stick to an 1800 calorie diet and don't eat back any of my exercise calories because the MFP calculations don't work for me. I eat what I always did because labeling food "bad" or "forbidden" just makes me want to binge on them more. I stop eating after 6 pm because (a) it works for me and (b) it stops my late-night binging.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to dairy (cassein and whey) and that is more than enough restriction in my life. PITA.

Other than that medical restriction....I don't restrict anything. As long as I can fit it into my calorie goals that day (or weekly average), I fit it in. YOLO.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No real restrictions besides staying under my cal goal. I do try to eat semi healthy though, more veggies and fruits, whole wheat and lean protein meats. I try to rely less on heavily processed foods, but still make space for the occasional treat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just to correct you. Please don't think of it as a diet. Diets suck you deprive yourself of stuff you're miserable and that's why diets fail think of this as a lifestyle change. educate yourself and use this app as a reference guide I learned a lot especially in the community section.

Unless you're specifically allergic to something anything is a viable food option. What it simply comes down to if you want to lose weight, eat less calories then calories the body uses.

"Diet" can mean a couple of things. First, it's the food you eat. Everybody has a diet. Then, it's any special meal plan to help with a medical issue - there are diets specially designed for diabetes, high blood pressure, epilepsy, etc, and also for overweight. The unusual thing about diets for overweight is that all it takes to "cure" overweight, basically, is a sustained calorie deficit, so there are no rigid "rules" to follow besides appropriate calorie goal; everything else must be adapted to the individual. "To go on a diet" usually denotes following some fad. (Language being as malleable as it is, "lifestyle change" is already being used as a synonym to "fad diet" by people who are attracted to those.)

That was the noun. Then there's the verb - to diet. That's "to deliberately and consciously aim to eat with the intention of losing weight". This can be done in a lot of different ways, and it will work if it keeps you in a sustained calorie deficit. There are more and less reasonable, healthy and effective methods, though, and the least reasonable and healthy ones, that are least effective because of that, have given "diet" and "dieting" a very bad rep. There's nothing intrinsically bad with either.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As a number of others have also stated, I have zero restrictions beyond my caloric intake and I'm down nearly 80lbs.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I work better with restrictions.
    I cut out all what I consider to be "junk food" and found my own healthier options so I can eat more for my calories and be a healthier person, as this is my goal for life not just weight loss.
    I cut out alcohol, again for me it's just a waste of calories.
    Cut down on added sugar, so I only eat under 20g of added sugar again this is a lifestyle change for me not just to lose weight.
    I also cut out all meat except fish, I never really ate that much meat anyway so not much of a change there, but am enjoying cooking more vegetarian meals.