Mexican Lasagna

Options
pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
There's a lot of mexican lasagna recipes online, I thought I'd share mine because its different, budget friendly, reasonably low in calories and fiber-rich. There's also many ways to customize it. This is by no means the only way to make it, I vary it constantly because I can get bored

-1 lbs lean ground beef
-1 can of refried beans (any variety)
-1 envelope of taco seasoning (mild, original or hot) I use McCormick brand because its just seasoning without the extra fillers, its also cheapest compared to other brands
-1 cup of water
-1 Red bell pepper, diced
-1 green bell pepper, diced
-1 half red onion, diced
-1 tomato, sliced
-1 can of ro*tel tomatoes and chiles
-1/2 cup of salsa
-1 cup of mexican cheese blend
-4 to 6 corn tostadas

Optional: 1 avocado, diced, 2 tbsp of diced jalapeno peppers, 1/2 cup of mexican beer, 3 limes juiced, cilantro

Brown beef in large skillet over medium high heat, cover pan once divided and proceed to chop your veggies in this order (green bell pepper, red bell pepper, red onion) and put them in a bowl for later use.

Return to your beef and add 1 cup of water, add refried beans, stir in taco seasoning and cover. Set for 5 minutes. Stir refried beans until well blended, cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until water has evaporated. Set aside

In a small skillet add 1 tbsp of olive oil (or lime juice, or beer, or both). Once hot, add veggies. Stir until veggies are cooked through and water has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Open and drain can of tomatoes and chiles and add on top for added moisture.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees f

In a 8x8 baking pan spray cooking oil, then pour in 1-2 tbsp of salsa. Spread like butter. Place two corn tostados in baking dish. Add 2 cups of meat mixture on top of the tostados. Dice a whole tomato and add half on top of the meat. Sprinkle a sensible amount of 4-cheese mexican blend on that. Now add 4 corn tostados and add 2 cups of meat mixture, the other half of the tomato, a sensible amount of cheese and 1-2 tbsp of salsa.

Add an additional 2 corn tostados and pour veggie mix over top. Pour salsa over veggies, sprinkle cheese, and add 1 diced avocado over top.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until brown on top.

It should look like this

53do0tlktxmk.jpg

You're done! Questions and comments are welcome

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Looks good!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    When you say corn tostadas, you are talking about the fried crunchy ones? Or are you using corn tortillas?
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    When you say corn tostadas, you are talking about the fried crunchy ones? Or are you using corn tortillas?

Tortillas are too thin for this, so tostados
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This looks really good. Can't wait to make it.

Number of servings/calories per serving?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    That may be a keeper. Ground chicken, turkey or veggie grounds would lighten it up considerably, too.
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

Tortillas are too thin for this, so tostados

Its roughly 371 calories per 6 servings.
  • jemlouise93
    jemlouise93 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Almost went past this and then realised that Mexican lasagna actually sounds really amazing!!! I love Mexican and I love lasagna. Sounds so yummy!!
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I wonder how it would be if you ditched the refried beans and used pinto beans instead. There is a local mexican restaurant and they don't serve the refried beans, they serve pintos instead with their meals. It is so good.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would like to try out something like this. With a few tweaks, for one I'm a vegetarian so either all beans or beans & veggie mince. Also, not sure if I can get tostadas here in England, I wonder if regular tortillas would work...hm, might need to experiment a bit.
  • simplycleanfit
    simplycleanfit Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This looks yummy, I think I would go for the pinto beans vs refried.

Thanks for posting!
  • simplyaqua
    simplyaqua Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious!
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    Thanks

Everyone loves it