Tom Brady Diet

Options

Replies

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am a huge Pats fan! Season ticket holder for 24 years!

On another note, I think his diet is a bit over the top! He doesn't even eat eggplant because it's a shade vegetable. There is probably some merit to most of it. Most people could never stick to how they eat, it is far too restrictive. On the other hand, they both make a crap ton of money with their bodies, one modeling, one an elite athlete, so for them they probably feel it is necessary. I wonder if they will stick to it until they die? And if their kids will eat like that when they are grown.

It kind of makes sense about the nightshades as they can contribute to joint degeneration. Mostly this is only something people sensitive to nightshades need worry about, but again, Tom Brady is trying to cheat the clock and continue to play professional football as long as he can so any edge he can get is worth it.
    One other thing I would like to say as someone who was raw vegan for a while (and stopped because it WAS indeed too restrictive for me) raw macaroons and avocado ice cream are actually super yummy! I wish I could afford to have someone make that stuff for me as a treat!

Do you have a source for the joint degeneration thing? I'd never heard of that.
    I do know somehow who is allergic (or some such sensitivity) to nightshades and breaks out in a rash/itchiness every time she is exposed. She still sometimes eats them anyway because it's hard to go without forever.
    I'm not denying that raw macaroons and avocado ice cream may be yummy-- it just strikes me as odd that they are considered, apparently, "better" treats than just eating a cookie or a scoop of ice cream once in awhile.
  • determined_14
    Options
    http://www.bornfitness.com/flawed-the-tom-brady-and-giselle-bundchen-diet/

This is a pretty solid analysis of the strengths versus woo of Brady's nutritional approach.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't care for him or his spouse.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I live in Massachusetts, so I'm a Patriots fan. However, I can not stand Tom Brady. He's arrogant and egotistical in my opinion. That being said, I do have this to say: his diet sounds a little whacky and new agey, but it's all about what works for you. If a raw food diet is sustainable and gets you results, then by all means, go for it. I always thought clean eating was a bunch of malarkey, but here I am, 20 pounds lighter, and I actually look forward to the meals I cook.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    queguera wrote: »
    The "nutritionist" that he and Gisele use is actually just a personal chef with an online certificate in plant-based diets and a lot of the things he says are unscientific and unproven nonsense. He's the type who believes that organic plant-based diets can reverse diseases and other silliness. Clearly Tom Brady's diet works for him, but I would by no means take it as holy grail advice. There is zero scientific evidence for most of the claims his chef makes and a lot of the items excluded in the diet just don't make any sense. He doesn't eat mushrooms, nightshade vegetables, tomatoes, coffee, dairy, any oil except coconut, gluten, or fruit. I couldn't function without coffee, olive oil and peppers (I need spice!) so his diet plan would never be an option for me personally.

Totally. SciBabe wrote a great article about it for Cosmo:
    cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/news/a51998/all-of-the-reasons-why-tom-and-giseles-diet-is-actually-the-worst-revealed/

I'm a Pats fan and Brady fan (although Gronk has surpassed him as my fave player), but I agree with you OP - celebrities touting ridiculous "nutrition" rules just adds to the pile of BS people need to wade through to get to the truth.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

On another note, I think his diet is a bit over the top! He doesn't even eat eggplant because it's a shade vegetable. There is probably some merit to most of it. Most people could never stick to how they eat, it is far too restrictive. On the other hand, they both make a crap ton of money with their bodies, one modeling, one an elite athlete, so for them they probably feel it is necessary. I wonder if they will stick to it until they die? And if their kids will eat like that when they are grown.

It kind of makes sense about the nightshades as they can contribute to joint degeneration. Mostly this is only something people sensitive to nightshades need worry about, but again, Tom Brady is trying to cheat the clock and continue to play professional football as long as he can so any edge he can get is worth it.
    One other thing I would like to say as someone who was raw vegan for a while (and stopped because it WAS indeed too restrictive for me) raw macaroons and avocado ice cream are actually super yummy! I wish I could afford to have someone make that stuff for me as a treat!

They sell raw macaroons at my Whole Foods, but I don't buy them often because they're so calorie-dense and I find it hard to not eat the whole package at once! Hail Merry makes a salted caramel version that is incredible.

Can I just say I freaking love that you worked a "Hail Mary" (or merry) into this conversation?! :D

Wow, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out! :smiley:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Brady's diet may be a bit over the top, but I think if you check, most athletes "clean up" their diet as they age with the thought of performing at a high level longer.

All for it if it keeps Aaron going longer.
  • determined_14
    Options
    AlyM725 wrote: »
    I live in Massachusetts, so I'm a Patriots fan. However, I can not stand Tom Brady. He's arrogant and egotistical in my opinion. That being said, I do have this to say: his diet sounds a little whacky and new agey, but it's all about what works for you. If a raw food diet is sustainable and gets you results, then by all means, go for it. I always thought clean eating was a bunch of malarkey, but here I am, 20 pounds lighter, and I actually look forward to the meals I cook.

Obviously people can eat whatever they want but the problem lies in well-known figures like Tom Brady tout their diets as being nutritionally and scientifically sound when they are not. His diet goes far beyond clean-eating and a lot of the claims just aren't true. There's a whole body of evidence that olive oil is very healthy and is a staple of many healthy diets but Tom's online-certified chef refuses to use it. Same for many of the veggies and fruits they restrict which are perfectly healthy for a majority of the world's population. He also doesn't use MSG for bogus reasons and MSG laden foods are a staple of traditional Japanese and other Asian diets which are considered to be extremely healthy and contribute to long and healthy lives etc etc. The list of the inaccuracies could go on and on.
    YES. This. Tom Brady's diet is no doubt nutritional and all that; it's also full of arbitrary rules and misinformation. When someone with his level of success and publicity promotes this stuff, it only increases the mythology and confusion surrounding nutrition. And it makes average people without his budget, resources, and genetics feel like giving up.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The "nutritionist" that he and Gisele use is actually just a personal chef with an online certificate in plant-based diets and a lot of the things he says are unscientific and unproven nonsense. He's the type who believes that organic plant-based diets can reverse diseases and other silliness. Clearly Tom Brady's diet works for him, but I would by no means take it as holy grail advice. There is zero scientific evidence for most of the claims his chef makes and a lot of the items excluded in the diet just don't make any sense. He doesn't eat mushrooms, nightshade vegetables, tomatoes, coffee, dairy, any oil except coconut, gluten, or fruit. I couldn't function without coffee, olive oil and peppers (I need spice!) so his diet plan would never be an option for me personally.

Strong first post.

Brady has the results he does because he trains like a professional athlete. It's that simple.

Yep. It's not like Brady is some once-in-a-lifetime physical specimen. More and more athletes are staying above average or elite for longer because the science of their training has improved dramatically in the last 20 years or so. (Now if they could just figure out how to keep their brains in one piece!) Most pro athletes eat carefully obviously (at least during the season) to support their training, but what he eats is unnecessary woo. If he wants to eat that way, more power to him, but it shouldn't be held up as a reason for his success.
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Brady's diet is restrictive but to me he isn't even known for being a good athlete or being in top shape. He is known for his football IQ. There are NBA players that are more way more athletic than him and they have less restrictive diets. The reason why tom Brady has survived for so long is because he doesn't get hit. If he got hit like Cam Newton he wouldn't survive two seasons. Also sports doctors have said most NBA players are the most elite athletes. Look at LBJ. They eat chicken, rice and some veggies but they train like crazy. Brady to me is not an elite athlete. He is talented and has a high football IQ but he isn't known for his athleticism.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Do you have a source for the joint degeneration thing? I'd never heard of that.
    I do know somehow who is allergic (or some such sensitivity) to nightshades and breaks out in a rash/itchiness every time she is exposed. She still sometimes eats them anyway because it's hard to go without forever.
    I'm not denying that raw macaroons and avocado ice cream may be yummy-- it just strikes me as odd that they are considered, apparently, "better" treats than just eating a cookie or a scoop of ice cream once in awhile.

Basically that's what I'm talking about. I forget what the compound is in nightshades but there is something in there that can cause joint inflammation. People may be allergic or if they have rheumatoid arthritis it can be very bad. Just google "nightshades and joint inflammation or autoimmune" or something. I have a gluten sensitivity but on occasion I eat wheat...I just know the price I will pay for that transgression and prepare myself to deal with it :wink:
    I think the reason those treats would be "better" is that they at least have some nutrient density to them. A cookie, especially a packaged/processed cookie or the like, would be fairly nutrient poor in addition to being high in sugar. Once again, this is all about optimizing your nutrition as much as possible, something we non-professional athletes do not likely need to do 100% of the time.
  • queguera
    queguera Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    wantoldme wrote: »
    Brady's diet is restrictive but to me he isn't even known for being a good athlete or being in top shape. He is known for his football IQ. There are NBA players that are more way more athletic than him and they have less restrictive diets. The reason why tom Brady has survived for so long is because he doesn't get hit. If he got hit like Cam Newton he wouldn't survive two seasons. Also sports doctors have said most NBA players are the most elite athletes. Look at LBJ. They eat chicken, rice and some veggies but they train like crazy. Brady to me is not an elite athlete. He is talented and has a high football IQ but he isn't known for his athleticism.

I just googled his body and shirtless he is actually quite shapeless, undefined and has a soft belly. Definitely not what I would consider peak physical condition. Most male athletes who are in peak condition are far more toned and athletic looking than him. Gisele has more muscle tone than him!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It's also possible to be allergic to nightshades.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Anyone have a raw macaroon recipe they like?

Check out the cookbook "Raw Food, Real World."

Thanks, but I am not allowing myself any new cookbooks until I fully explore the ones I got Christmas 2014 :dizzy:
  • determined_14
    Options
    wantoldme wrote: »

I just googled his body and shirtless he is actually quite shapeless, undefined and has a soft belly. Definitely not what I would consider peak physical condition. Most male athletes who are toned, well-defined and in peak condition are far more toned and athletic looking than him. Gisele has more muscle tone than him!

I'm super-amused that you did this! :D
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    He doesn't eat nightshades, which means no bell peppers or tomatoes. That's about 50% of my veg intake out the window! I wouldn't be able to do it, but good on him for the discipline.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I wont deny Brady is one of the best QBs ever, but the way he plays the game (not fast or particularly strong), not sure how much nutrition plays a role, other than weight management and/or focus. If what he eats helps him mentally focus, that would help him more than the physical aspects of good vs. "better" nutrition.