Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Has Food Been Turned into an Addictive Drug?

RichardD83
RichardD83 Posts: 17 Member
There are so many obese people now

Profit is more important than people

Sugar is added to everything

Millions of dollars is spent researching how to make food taste better

I watched a video where they did an experiment with two identical twins. One given a high fat diet the other given a high carb diet. In the end there was no difference between the two in weight gain.

They showed experiments with mice whereby they mixed fat and carbs for group and not the other. The group which are fat and carbs had tremendous weight gain while the other did not.

In nature fat and carbs are not found together.

They found the effect on the mice's brain worked the same as the dopamine receptors do during addiction

Is it possible food is like a Drug now?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    That is the goal of food manufacturers. To make it addictive/taste good.
    I try to avoid fast food and highly processed boxed foods.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    There are awful foods out there, for sure. But there's been donuts, soda, candy bars and chips forever. People are simply lazier these days. Video games, TV, movie streaming, phones, tablets, etc... People don't go out in the world like they used to. I think that's the larger problem.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2016
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    There are awful foods out there, for sure. But there's been donuts, soda, candy bars and chips forever. People are simply lazier these days. Video games, TV, movie streaming, phones, tablets, etc... People don't go out in the world like they used to. I think that's the larger problem.
    In addition, many of these items were eating as special treats and/or in smaller portions. Now people eat these calorie dense foods multiple times throughout the day, and in larger portions, in addition to being more sedentary.

Getting a food scale and seeing what an actual serving of chips or ice cream looks like was eye opening. And a little sad at first.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    In nature fat and carbs are not found together.

Bacon