Upped my calories and lost...

Options
Hey All

After speaking to a PT at the gym two weeks ago and a qualified nutritionist (my friend) re: calories etc, he/she advised me to increase them to 1500 per day and I've lost 2lb...wahooo. I was eating more like 1200 per day but also followed slimming world prior to re-joining MFP a couple of weeks ago and still felt I wasn't eating enough because I'm always weary of their slogan "Eat as much of it as you like"....I feel so satisfied on 1500 per day too....

My workouts are as follows so straight away the PT and my friend said 1200 was too low:

Monday - 30 min bodycombat class and 3k run
Tuesday - 30 min Yoga
Weds - 30 min GRIT (either cardio, plyo or strength)
Thurs - 30 min combat (and 30 min kettlebells if I'm not too tired)
Fri - 45 min bodypump and 4.5k run

And I felt hungry all the time whereas the past week/two I haven't...

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's always interesting to read about weight loss when people up their calories, and so I have a couple if questions for you.

Were you weighing your food before rejoining MFP and are you weighing it now? Reason I ask is that I look back on my short time here and realize that I did not truly understand my caloric intake until I started weighing food.

Also it seems you are burning a couple hundred or so calories from exercise each day, so have you factored that into your diet?
  • kmaf2016
    kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, I was on Slimming World which they claim you eat as much of a food as you like i.e. pasta etc as long as you have speed foods on your plate at each meal so when doing SW which I didn't enjoy I wasn't weighing as theres "no need" too but I also was fritting between the same 2-4lbs and now I do weigh my foods since rejoining MFP...I'm not saying Slimming World doesn't work as I know lots of people that have lost massive amounts of weight but it just wasn't was for me so no I didn't weigh before but now I do weigh my foods etc.

When you say 'have I factored my exercise calorie burn into my diet' - what do you mean?
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks. What I mean is are the 1500 calories consumption or net calories, ie less the exercise burn?
  • kmaf2016
    Options
    Yeah less the exercise burn...so even if I do burn 100-200 calories per day through exercise, I still only have 1500.
  • kmaf2016
    Options
    Sorry, I think I got that wrong, so my 1500 per day takes into consideration my exercise...
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So you don't eat back your calories? If you burn 400 calories, you don't eat 200 to have a total of 1700 calories?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you figure that not weighing your calories and eating as much as you like on 'slimming world' equated to 1200 calories per day?
  • kmaf2016
    Options
    @Muscleflex79 - neither do I but it works for many people around the world - don't ask me how though! and I weren't following a 1200 calorie a day plan when on slimming world, I was just doing slimming world but as I said it wasn't working for me.

1500 is what was recommended for me which includes my exercise. MFP gives me 1200 per day excluding exercise, the PT or my nutritionist friend advised me to start on 1500 per day inclusive of exercise so I just eat 1500 per day, no extra...Maybe I'm not making sense haha!
  • frankfighter
    frankfighter Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Every body is different and starting at 1500 per day will give you a good start. If you don't lose weight in 2 weeks, go to 1400 and so forth. A body is just one big experiment when it comes to fitness.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. Keep it up. It takes changes sometimes. I eat between 1800-2200 on cardio days which is 5-6 days. :) So far losing steady. My starting weight is high so I already have a bit higher expenditure. I've been following MFP with my macros changed a little manually. So far so good. I think next month I will have to reconfigure them. I might need to start a small decrease soon.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Muscleflex79 - neither do I but it works for many people around the world - don't ask me how though! and I weren't following a 1200 calorie a day plan when on slimming world, I was just doing slimming world but as I said it wasn't working for me.

1500 is what was recommended for me which includes my exercise. MFP gives me 1200 per day excluding exercise, the PT or my nutritionist friend advised me to start on 1500 per day inclusive of exercise so I just eat 1500 per day, no extra...Maybe I'm not making sense haha!

How many calories are you burning with exercise?? I'd follow the nutritionists advice if its working. She is probably factoring in exercise you might have discussed?? You might ask her next time you see her/him. At my weight/height MFP gives me 1690 before exercise. But after I eat back most if not all those I eat between 1800-2200. If I'm not hungry I don't force it but I usually at a minimum will have either my 200 calorie protein bar or 130 calorie protein shake.