Sandwiches and how to log only the boring parts.

Options
kaaaayla
kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
My work gets lunch catered every Wednesday. Obviously I can bring my own, but that's not the point. I'm using this specific example as a general guide for future reference.

Panera has calorie counts, but not for individual ingredients. I know this 1/2 a sandwich is 500 calories. I'm throwing out the bread and cheese, and basically eating the leftovers with a fork (lettuce, tomato, meat slices, mayo).

Would you say it's fair to log it as 1/4 of the sandwich instead of 1/2? I've removed the main calorie-dense ingredients. Mayo is still not great, but it's not a ton, so whatever. I'm not tracking macros strictly, other than I try to notice my protein because I'm not a meat or nut or bean lover naturally. But anyway, based on just calories, how much do you think removing the bread and cheese accomplishes?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you go to the panera website, you can go to "online ordering" and customize your order. It will calculate the calories for you.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'd look up your best guess at those specific ingredients and subtract that total from the 500.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you go to the panera website, you can go to "online ordering" and customize your order. It will calculate the calories for you.

This is what I would do. If you're just using Panera as a guideline, and it's not actually Panera, I'd log a serving and a half of generic deli meat, tomatoes, mayo, etc., and give it at guess. Logging 1/4 sandwich isn't super accurate because that still has the cheese and bread in it.
  • kaaaayla
    Options

Whaaaat? Thank you! I was searching for a nutrition calculator or something, but couldn't find it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    kaaaayla wrote: »

Whaaaat? Thank you! I was searching for a nutrition calculator or something, but couldn't find it.

Yep, I saw it when I placed an order for a visiting consultant for rapid pickup the other day. Right under the calories (top right corner) you can also click to get the rest of the nutrition info.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

I'm throwing out the bread and cheese, and basically eating the leftovers with a fork (lettuce, tomato, meat slices, mayo).

Why would you want to log the "boring parts" if that's what you're throwing away?? Just log the meat, veggies, and mayo.
  • kaaaayla
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »

I'm throwing out the bread and cheese, and basically eating the leftovers with a fork (lettuce, tomato, meat slices, mayo).

Why would you want to log the "boring parts" if that's what you're throwing away?? Just log the meat, veggies, and mayo.

The boring parts is the stuff minus the cheese and bread! Hah we all know cheese and bread is delicious!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh. Well maybe we should share a sandwich then. Lol. Bread doesn't taste like anything to me. Veggies are exciting and fresh, and meat's just yummy. :)