Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting way that people excuse their overweight / obesity

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Yep, people don't want to man/woman up and take responsibility.

Can you explain your reasoning. How would your body having a set point it wants to get back to relieve you of responsibility for weight control?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to think of it as simple math, if truly in deficit you must lose weight.
    As I looked at the whole CICO model I also went deeper into the quality of the calories. I decided that if I am going to be immersed in a healthier lifestyle I should try to eat calories that come from nutritious foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Yep, people don't want to man/woman up and take responsibility.

Can you explain your reasoning. How would your body having a set point it wants to get back to relieve you of responsibility for weight control?

The reasoning is right there.

Because you can ascribe responsibility to your body ("my body wanted my set point more than I wanted to lose weight").

That would be reason why it might be hard to lose weight. Even in the OP's example his girlfriend says you can lose beyond the set point. So, I still don't get it unless you are changing it to someone saying "I can't lose because of my body's set point". Which is not what the OP or the post to which I replied said.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think one's body structure and (more importantly) hormones and hormone sensitivity can certainly affect outcomes...than said CICO is in fact the bottom line. And another thing that affects a person's outcome (related to hormones) is that people falsely assume cardio is important in weight loss. You get better results from weight training, explosive training (jumping, sprinting, HIIT, etc.), and cutting calories.
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it?

You mean like to pee? Or the urge to breathe?

It's a result of evolution.

While this is true, no one says, "My body needs to pee," or "My body needs air." No, it's "I need to X."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jlaw_1992 wrote: »
    How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it?

You mean like to pee? Or the urge to breathe?

It's a result of evolution.

While this is true, no one says, "My body needs to pee," or "My body needs air." No, it's "I need to X."

So would it be correct if someone says "I have a weight set point"??
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know about set point, it might or might not be a thing. What I find really interesting is how naturally weight stable people (not necessarily thin) actually maintain within 5 pounds autonomously until something changes like their general level of activity... that's only a few dozen of calories. The precision It's amazing and fascinating without conscious control over the calories. I would love to find out the mechanisms that contribute to that, both physical and mental.

Maybe they do have a point, but worded better and more honestly it would sound something like "I'm eating comfortably at a certain weight, eating less is uncomfortable and I don't like to feel uncomfortable."

In a sense you do need to "force it" to get to a certain weight by changing a few things about the way you eat that may be less comfortable, and your resolve does get challenged not to get back to a higher weight without constant monitoring. Is it an excuse though? You bet it is. Anyone who is willing to put in the work can lose weight and maintain it.

I love this post right up to the end. Why do you assume that believing your body has a set point means they think they can't lose weight, or even that they haven't lost weight? That seems a big assumption.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know about set point, it might or might not be a thing. What I find really interesting is how naturally weight stable people (not necessarily thin) actually maintain within 5 pounds autonomously until something changes like their general level of activity... that's only a few dozen of calories. The precision It's amazing and fascinating without conscious control over the calories. I would love to find out the mechanisms that contribute to that, both physical and mental.

Maybe they do have a point, but worded better and more honestly it would sound something like "I'm eating comfortably at a certain weight, eating less is uncomfortable and I don't like to feel uncomfortable."

In a sense you do need to "force it" to get to a certain weight by changing a few things about the way you eat that may be less comfortable, and your resolve does get challenged not to get back to a higher weight without constant monitoring. Is it an excuse though? You bet it is. Anyone who is willing to put in the work can lose weight and maintain it.

I love this post right up to the end. Why do you assume that believing your body has a set point means they think they can't lose weight, or even that they haven't lost weight? That seems a big assumption.

There was no such assumption! Some of those who believe in this theory do successfully lose weight and in their mind they are successfully swimming upstream against their 'set point'. The last bit was for a very specific case mentioned by the original post where some people would use it as an excuse.