Girls lifting

Options
I haven't touched the weight machines at the gym and really want to build and tone as I lose... Can someone please tell me how you started lifting and what you did at first :)

Replies

• Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I haven't touched the weight machines at the gym and really want to build and tone as I lose... Can someone please tell me how you started lifting and what you did at first :)

Prison, and I started with light free weights.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Best advice I could give you, stay away from machines and do free weights, much better for you
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
  • feliciaamanda
    feliciaamanda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing strenght exercises, I only used the machines. I chose some machines I knew how to use and did either full or half body workouts. And then when I had gained some muscles I learned free weights exercises one by one, and now I barely ever use machines. I can recommend you to start by using the machines like I did but then swich to free weights because that's better for you
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Find a trainer to show you proper form on free weights. Things like squats, weighted lunges, kettlebell swings, pull ups, hip thrusts, deadlifts and rows will give you great bang for the buck. A couple sites w/ no-nonsense approach and some videos on form (but get in-person checks, if possible!) Girls Gone Strong and Nia Shanks - Lift Like a Girl
  • LadyLovesJudo
    LadyLovesJudo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all above- free weights. Better than machines because they don't limit your body's natural movements. But whatever you chose to do....do it heavy :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts 5x5 (all barbell work...no machines) last year. Switched to Strong Curves at the end of April this year to shape my butt.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I started about 2 years ago lifting with my husband using a program designed for him by his trainer, I then kind of did my own thing.. finally decided to actually follow a program (best decision ever) I did Strong Curves and continue to do variations of it today
  • nicolecheriepeoples
    nicolecheriepeoples Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally I like structured programs that tell me what to do so I follow programs on bodybuilding.com. There is a newbie 30 day program you can follow and after I recommend Jamie Eason's 12 week lifting program. It starts off slowly and helps you build up to longer, harder lifting routines. Her workouts take appr. 45 min and are awesome.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts.com
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Another vote for stronglifts. Or New Rules of lifting for women.

There are some mfp groups for ladies that lift... Do head over and join us....We're a friendly bunch and you'll get no end of tips, encouragement etc, right from your first lift!

Good luck and enjoy lifting. It does magical stuff to your body!!!