What has been your biggest struggle with losing weight in the past?

Options
katemartino8
katemartino8 Posts: 17 Member
Mine was always having no real goal. Sure, I wanted to look better, but when that faded so did my dieting. The weight only really came off when I had the strong desire to take care of myself and live my best life.

Replies

• Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I think I have many struggles but I think they can best be described as consistency. Consistency in terms of exercise, food and logging.
  • tillysmum0308
    tillysmum0308 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    alcohol is mine. I do great with the food but after a couple of wines I'm all "what the heck, lets have a few more" and blow my target :neutral:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Attitude or mindset. Like most, I looked for quick ways to lose weight, and in cases I was able to actually lose I gained it back just as quick.

I finally realized I didn't get overweight in just a few months and I sure wasn't going to lose it all that fast. Were weight slowly piled on over years I would slowly and consistently lose it over years.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For me...it is figuring out how to avoid bored eating. I find if I am busy and focused on things, than eating is just fuel, but when I get bored, then I just want to graze through the kitchen.

^^This
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    alcohol is mine. I do great with the food but after a couple of wines I'm all "what the heck, lets have a few more" and blow my target :neutral:

^^ This too. haha
    And then I'm also like, heck, I already blew my target so let's raid the kitchen out of pure boredom. ugh
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Same here :neutral: I battle between knowing that I'm more likely to make bad food choices when I drink, and feeling like there's nothing wrong with enjoying a drink after a long day.

The biggest struggle though, has been not beating myself up when I make a bad decision or when the scale doesn't budge in the right direction, and being patient. In the past I've always gotten frustrated and basically sabotaged myself by making excuses. I'm finally learning to have a positive attitude which has been SO key in staying on track, but when I hit an obstacle or have one of those days when my goal feels sooooo far away, it's really hard not to zap back into negativity and not believing in myself.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Time management. Making it exercise and healthy eating a priority, regardless of how busy I get and what else is going on in my life. Eating mindfully versus snacking mindlessly when stressed or bored.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has always been easy for me. Keeping it off... oh, I already gave that away :s

I believed in so many myths and half-truths. So many do's and don'ts on what, when and how much to eat. And I felt sorry for myself, because of all those do's and don'ts that I tried to live up to, but of course I couldn't. So I just said fukit! Let's eat all the things! And then there were all those saboteurs. Like I'm not the one to decide for myself what, when and how much to eat. Likewise, I believed I had to work out like a maniac. So when I couldn't go to the gym anymore, it meant I was doomed to get fat again.

This time it finally clicked - weight loss is about calories in/out, but what I eat does influence on how I feel and how much I'll want to eat. I am in charge of my own diet. I have to find out what's right for me. I have to say NO sometimes, and that can actually feel empowering. No exercise is necessary, but it feels good to move.

This sums it up for me. Well said.
    Simple matter of CICO.
  • newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    TIME! During my past attempts to lose weight, I was in school full time and working full time, plus either planning a wedding or an out-of-state move. It made the thought of squeezing in exercise or cooking into my jam-packed day seem unbearable.
  • Siouxcreek
    Siouxcreek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im tired of being tired. I want to feel this blast of energy everyone talks about. Pushing on..my day will come

• Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Exactly, the neighbors show up, and the party is going to wind up. Next thing the grill is getting started, and chicken wings, and burgers. GRRRRRRR

• letsgolindsay
    letsgolindsay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's always social pressure. When I go away for school during the year, all my friends ever seem to do is party,drink and eat! I always give in... :'(
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    What has helped me most this go-round has been logging in MFP and seeing patterns that emerge. Over-eating because I become over-hungry, or because of boredom, or because of habitual eating. Seeing the patterns helps me set new goal behaviors. New strategies for dealing with binges has transformed this process for me.

Losing the shame has really helped facilitate losing weight, too.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is the mental part of it. I enjoy exercise. I enjoy the foods I eat. But, telling myself I am worth a healthy life. I am worth caring for. Was the hard part. So for me it's mental state of mind.
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Keeping it off.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had too many problems weighing far more in scale than how I look or how much I weigh. Depression, constant exhaustion from hypothyroidism, money problems, anxiety and no proper treatment to any of those. There was just no way to deal with my weight when there were things far more exhausting and burdening and being obese was one of my smallest problems those years. Now that I got rid of everything else I can focus on losing weight.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Plateaus, I am fine til I hit a plateau, usually around 208-212.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    My biggest problems in the past:

1. Being too aggressive, and then falling off track as motivation inevitably wanes
    2. All-or-nothing thinking
    3. Not having a real plan on how I was going to reach my goals, so I'd end up with no calories left and be only halfway through the day