Adventure Cycling

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,848 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am starting to plan out my trip. I really have no limits on where I could go. I am starting in the midwest (Indiana, Ohio, KY, IL, MI area. Are there any websites or resources that give you the best roads to ride on ?

https://www.adventurecycling.org/

Also check out the sites which have already been suggested to you:

http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

The Links page on my website is mostly about long distance cycling but also has a small Touring section. I won't guarantee that all the links work ... I've been incredibly busy lately but they might help:
    http://www.machka.net/links.htm

• dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    does anyone use panniers on their bike when they do this? If you don't mind sharing what kind do you use? I am looking for a light but cheap set.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Yes, I use panniers when I'm on tour.

My light set are Axiom Lasalles

My heavier waterproof set are Alturas.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I am trying to plan the roads that I will bike to get to a City. Is there anything I need to know while I am planning out the roads. After I get out of my initial 20 mile radius I will be taking roads that I haven't ridden on. Obviously I am not riding on interstates. Is there anything I need to know or any tips on planning my route?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Start riding further now. Get out of your 20 mile radius on your usual weekend rides. Explore.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I have been riding 40 / 45 miles but when I do this I am usually on a familiar trail not on roads. I am going on a trip on Tuesday and riding around 90 miles in a day. I am going to leave early in the morning. I have someone caring my tent, sleeping bag, and a change of clothes. We are watching a baseball game Tuesday night and staying in a hotel. I am getting up the next morning riding around 50 miles to a campground. Camping out Wed night and then riding back 30 miles on Thursday morning back home. This is my test run. Any advice?
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned before credit card touring (staying in a hotel each night) costs more and requires better planning (if you are booking ahead you have to, and can only, go that distance each day). Carrying a tent/sleeping bag/etc means you are lugging more weight around with you but gives more freedom to bike further on a day you are feeling good or do a short day if it is raining.
    I also 2nd @hill8570 's idea that you could start with RAGBRAI (or a ride like it) where you can camp but have all your gear carried to the end town each day. There is also sag wagon access, all kinds of food/drinks being sold along the route, daily entertainment, and lots, and lots, of friendly people to bike with. Not recommended if you like biking by yourself though.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've only done a 3 day trip so far. We rode the Mickelson in SD, which was amazing. We had the choice to camp or hotel, but we chose to camp. I carried everything in a frame bag, handlebar bag, and seat pack. I have never had more fun in my life.

Adventurecycling.org is an awesome resource. They sell (road tested) premapped routes with lodging, food, and other points of interest built in.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I am going Tuesday to have a long ride for my training for my triathlon that I am doing in August. I am also doing it because my family has free baseball tickets to the Red's game on Tuesday night. I will get to go swimming in the hotel pool with my kids visit Cincy Tuesday afternoon and take in the ball game. After the ball game it is going to be late and my family will need a place to stay. Afterwards my family is driving back. I will pick up my tent gear etc... ride 30 miles to my next camping site with everything attached to my bike. Camp Wed night. Wake up the next morning on Thursday and ride back home 50 miles. I am combining the free tickets we have to go the baseball game with doing a "test run" for myself to see how my bike will feel and camping will be with just me and my bike on the way back home. I have shorter distances to travel on the way back home because I wanted to be conservative on my test run. Later on I plan to make a multiple day camping adventure with my bike and myself. There will be not hotels and everything will be packed with my bike. I will ride and take in the sites as I go. The trip on Tuesday is just a short test run along with an experience for my kids and and my wife.