No period=Ashamed of Weight Loss. What to do.....

marthamayhemmfp
marthamayhemmfp Posts: 22 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently, I've been feeling down about my weight loss. I'm currently 5'1, 25 years old, 106lbs.
All I wanted, when I started this journey, was to be strong and healthy, instead of overweight and tired. I wanted to take care of myself.
Indeed, I do think I am stronger; I am more positive, I'm meeting my personal fitness goals, I love exercise, and I eat everything in moderation. Lab work and all other measures put me in a healthy category. HOWEVER, I cannot look at myself and honestly conclude that I am healthy while Aunt Flo has not paid a visit for some time.
It's been eight months now since I got my period, which disappeared when I was 140lbs.
I know what happened. I got too excited and impatient. Those months ago, I was doing a combination of high intensity cardio, eating 1000-1200 calories a day, taking in low fat (as little as 10g some days), and sleeping 5-6hrs due to my busy schedule. After missing my period for four months, I got really worried and finally started eating close to maintenance, and then a month later, ate at maintenance AND made sure to eat 50g+ of fat a day. A month ago, I even cut my cardio down to only light-moderate intensity, strength training, and HIIT for no longer than 10 minutes, and only 1-3 times a week. No progress thus far :(

I feel great overall, and with the help of my tracker and scale, I know I am eating properly to support my body. Still, that no-period shadow is bugging me. I don't care for children, BUT I care for my bone health. I take bone health supplements/vitamins everyday, and any injury I've had has healed no slower than usual, but I am worried.

Losing my boobs and butt never bothered me, but having no period makes me feel so much less like a woman. It's the one thing women have that men don't have and can't get. It bothers me.

I don't have a personal doctor, and I don't have insurance, and I'm not wealthy.

Would anyone please share tips and words of advice?

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    I'd seek help from a physician regarding your loss of menses. I'm not wealthy either, but surely there is a free clinic, or a health department you can visit, or something.

We can't give you advice on how to make your period come back, I'm sorry :(
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    I'm sorry it this is something a healthcare professional should chime in on.
    Do you not qualify for some type of health insurance?
    Any women's clinic in your area?
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    I'm probably least qualified to answer that, but yesterday I was wondering about the healthy body fat percentage and I saw a government made chart on that. I remember for men it's like 8 % minimum, but for women it's much larger, and it says there that women will very likely have this problem if you're body fat is too low . So look it up, measure your body fat percentage
  • marthamayhemmfp
    Thanks so much for the replies. I'll definitely check to see if there are free health clinics nearby. It didn't even occur for me to check.
    Yep. I am American.
    Oh my. I'm not sure what my body fat percentage is. I'll see what I can do to measure it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    At your age, height and weight you ahould be eating a minimum of 1200 cals a day PLUS calories burnt through exercise.

Put your stats into MFP with your goal as maintenance and eat all those calories.
    Plus enter all your exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories too. MFP tends to overestimate so keep an eye on the scale for 6 weeks to make sure you are maintaining and adjust the exercise calories accordingly.

You could also use an off site TDEE calculator which will give you the calories you need to eat including your exercise.
    Again monitor for 6-8 weeks before adjusting your calories as you will gain a few pounds of water weight as you up your calories.

Focus on protein, then fat, (it is good for you, it helps with brain function, hormone balance, and nutrient absorption), use carbs to fill the rest of your calories.

There is nothing wrong with your weight, just the extreme calorie restriction, it may take a few months to over a year for your body to start recovering.

As soon as you can afford it go and see a doctor. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Cheers, h.
  • marthamayhemmfp
    edited June 2016
    At your age, height and weight you ahould be eating a minimum of 1200 cals a day PLUS calories burnt through exercise.

Put your stats into MFP with your goal as maintenance and eat all those calories.
    Plus enter all your exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories too. MFP tends to overestimate so keep an eye on the scale for 6 weeks to make sure you are maintaining and adjust the exercise calories accordingly.

You could also use an off site TDEE calculator which will give you the calories you need to eat including your exercise.
    Again monitor for 6-8 weeks before adjusting your calories as you will gain a few pounds of water weight as you up your calories.

Focus on protein, then fat, (it is good for you, it helps with brain function, hormone balance, and nutrient absorption), use carbs to fill the rest of your calories.

There is nothing wrong with your weight, just the extreme calorie restriction, it may take a few months to over a year for your body to start recovering.

As soon as you can afford it go and see a doctor. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Cheers, h.

Yep! I've eating well over 1200 calories and all of my exercise calories and hitting protein and fat goals since late January this year, but for TDEE, I've been using a tracker to calculate that, and it seems about right.
    It'll take that long??? *sigh* Well, it's still a relief to read that I can indeed recover.
    I'm looking into clinics nearby now! ^^
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Thanks so much for the replies. I'll definitely check to see if there are free health clinics nearby. It didn't even occur for me to check.
    Yep. I am American.
    Oh my. I'm not sure what my body fat percentage is. I'll see what I can do to measure it.

Yes, definitely see a doctor.

For what it's worth, I've been irregular since menarche, which was 15 years ago for me. At one point, I didn't menstruate for SIX YEARS despite my gyno checking hormone levels and claiming that apparently the only thing "wrong" with me was my weight. Switched doctors, got on a different pill... and yay, period! But with that came dangerously high blood pressure. Switched back to old doctor, different pill... and now I have healthy blood pressure but no more periods. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At this point I don't know if I'm not menstruating because of my weight, or simply because my body can't be arsed to provide a uterine lining without being held at gunpoint. My sister was obese and irregular, lost a shitload of weight, and her cycles regulated. If you're at a healthy weight and still not menstruating, it's definitely high time to see a doctor.

What state do you live in? I'm sure they have a local health department that can help you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Great to hear you are looking for a clinic.

Best of luck, h.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2016
    I did something very similar to you with too few calories and lost my cycle for a year. Unfortunately, even after eating at maintenance for a while, the only thing that brought my cycle back was the birth control prescribed by my gyno.

I've actually been more active than before thanks. I just make sure to eat what I need. I've been eating between 1,800-2,000 calories a day to lose at a steady rate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I will lose my period on 1200 calories and low fat as well. It doesn't make me feel like less of a woman, BUT-I also lose my libido. And that makes me feel bad.

When I increase to maintenance and keep my fats at least 50g I'm okay. I'm surprised yours hasn't come back. Are you in maintenance now? How many calories are you taking in? Did you increase sleep? How much cardio?
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    See a doctor! They will give you the help you need
  • nebaru
    nebaru Posts: 8 Member
    You are right about the combination of HIT and restrictive diet being the most likely reason for the abrupt halt to your periods. Also, you are very right to be concerned about the long term consequences to your health by not having a period. Much like you had to struggle to become healthy before when trying to loose weight, you now have to do what's necessary to get it back. There is nothing to be ashamed, our bodies are complex machines and you did not know all the drastic changes was going to shock your hormonal system. Fortunately, these changes are completely reversible but you may have to struggle a bit. I would lay off all forms of high intensity exercise and significantly increase macros (at least 200g carbs, 50g of fat and 100 g of protein for you). Don't worry about gaining weight because 1) getting your period back is more important 2) our bodies tend to like stability and our metabolism increases/decreases to compensate for changes in caloric intake. So instead of gaining weight, your metabolism is going to increase to burn off the extra calories. This is what makes ovulation happen again. Once you get it back you can think about slowly adjusting your macros or change your exercise routine.
  • Mummyjellytummy
    Mummyjellytummy Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, Im just thinking, I began my menopause at your age, have you considered this might be the cause. It would explain the mood situations etc. I do hope you feel a lot better soon
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    IMHO, and I only know this because my sister told me. When you weigh too little for your body to function properly, your period is the first thing to stop functioning properly. So, and I am NOT a doctor, but you need to gain weight. Especially since you said your period stopped when you weighed 140. You are down 32 lbs now. Go back to weighing like 145 and I bet your period will return.
    But again, I am not a doctor. I'm telling you based on what my sister told me. She became anorexic and that's what happened to her.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Hi, Im just thinking, I began my menopause at your age, have you considered this might be the cause. It would explain the mood situations etc. I do hope you feel a lot better soon

Menopause at 25?? What?

• nebaru
    nebaru Posts: 8 Member
    Your weight is normal btw and 140 lbs would be overweight for your height. Thus, you lost your period not because of a low weight but because of the increased stress to your body. HIT can do it. Restricting a certain macro can do it. Other possibilities are premature ovarian failure or medication side effect but these are much less likely give you have a reason to loose your period, aka your behavioral changes.