Biggest Loser News playing in mind

Options
When I read the Biggest Loser news I wasn't that surprised, but it felt very discouraging. I have it in the back of my mind and don't even know how to begin to lose weight now. Especially after a trip where we walked every day and averaged more than 4 miles a day. We ate out very few times and ate less than what I usually do at home. I gained weight. GAINED! I am baffled. I don't know what to do and I'm very discouraged. I thought I was doing well and gained weight.

Replies

• Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Were you used to walking? You may have gained some muscle weight in your legs from all of the walking. Sometimes when starting out your body thinks its going to need the extra energy so it will store it up for a couple of days then when it realized that you in fact don't need the extra energy it will expose of it. This is a crazy thing in life but you can't give up just because the scale didn't reflect the way you wanted it to, take it one week at a time and start with baby steps.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when you eat out, you usually eat food with a lot more sodium than at home, and that means your body will retain more water. also you might be surprised how many calories seemingly small plates of food actually have. they may look small, but different plating only makes them look small - restaurant food always has more calories than what i cook at home (as per their sites' nutrition info).
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    ttennheat wrote: »
    When I read the Biggest Loser news I wasn't that surprised, but it felt very discouraging. I have it in the back of my mind and don't even know how to begin to lose weight now. Especially after a trip where we walked every day and averaged more than 4 miles a day. We ate out very few times and ate less than what I usually do at home. I gained weight. GAINED! I am baffled. I don't know what to do and I'm very discouraged. I thought I was doing well and gained weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10383563/dont-let-the-biggest-loser-article-be-an-excuse
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What @MissusMoon said.

You're not a Biggest Loser contestant. Don't compare yourself to one. Don't compare yourself to ANYONE. Their weight loss experience was radically different than the vast, vast majority of people who successfully lose weight and keep the weight off.

Don't let that small, unclear "study" be your excuse for gaining a healthier you. Your journey is, can, and will be different.
  • ttennheat
    ttennheat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. My body was not used to walking that much. I'm trying to continue that amount of walking and have succeeded this week. I've also kept a food journal and that's been eye-opening and a punch in the gut. I'm going to need to learn self-control. I'm trying to focus on my accomplishment of walking and getting stronger, but I'll need to see some progress in the weight department soon or I'm afraid I'll give up unless I can stay focused on being able to walk four miles and feeling stronger. But, my jeans are filling tight around the belly and that's annoying. At least with the food journal I can't deny where my issue lies.
  • 120goalzz
    120goalzz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know it's so frustrating! Previous studies have also shown that in siblings, where one was overweight and lost weight compared to the other that was always thinner, the previously overweight one must always eat fewer calories in order to be the same weight as the thin one. I see this in me and my sister too- she never was heavier and nowadays I have to always eat less than her to even maintain being at the same weight as her. It's totally unfair but such is life! I accept it as just a fact and try not to compare, which makes it a little easier.