Underweight and need serious help

Options
I've been training for my first marathon (which is Saturday!) and have lost a good amount of weight doing so. All my family has gotten concerned that I'm unhealthy and underweight now so today I did a body analysis and this is what it told me:
Height: 5'4"
Weight 102.7
Bmi: 17.9
Fat%: 8.8%
BMR: 1288

I know that is way too low for a females body fat. Especially because I'm young and have not had children yet (which I want to do in two to three years). But how can I get in a healthy range and still keep my body composition? I'm very active and run almost daily and lift weights three times per week. I'm a very healthy eater and picky about what I put into my body... How do I get healthy in a healthy way?! I don't know where to go from here.

Replies

• simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also are there long term consequences of low body fat or could I just gain weight when I want to have kids in a few years?
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There maybe consequences, I'd recommend talking to your doctor. Body fat helps with the hormones/estrogen. I don't know how low is too low. My family was always concerned about my weight, but it was pretty much natural for me to be really thin until I was about 40. Now I'm fighting to keep it off. :wink:
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    We must be twins, bc I was at the same boat as you! 102 and 5'4 here, but gained to 107 since April. Eat more and start lifting. I started lifting using dumbbells and machines (Our gym doesn't have barbells, but I do try to go with my uncle to his gym to train with him once a week with it). I gained a bit of fat and muscle, I look less pale and look healthier with more glow (From what people say). Being underweight causes infertility, and since I was suffering from an eating disorder and was underweight for quite some time, I didn't get my period for a few months. Hopefully it will be back soon, though (TMI, sorry). Make sure you visit the doctor! :)
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Personally after your marathon I would try gaining some weight. I've always been thin framed and super active, so I'm more prone to accidentally lose weight rather than accidentally gain. Whenever I got too low (i.e. 5'4'' 108lbs) I'd personally always lose my period and have to take medroxyprogesterone to medically induce it. Finally I got sick of always having to medically regulate my hormones, so I decided to gain some weight. 7 months and 10lbs later, I naturally have my period back. While I'm certainly not as lean as I used to be, I lifted heavy the entire time so I would say a decent amount of my weight gain is also muscle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't keep your body composition and gain weight as you need to primarily gain fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, i would question how you got that body fat.

Also, no, you will not keep your body composition when you gain weight. You can gain some muscle, but you will also gain fat. Generally, for women its about 25% muscle gain, 75% fat. This is why after a bulk, you want to cut, which will allow you to regain the composition you want.

Even training for a marathon, i would question why you would run every day as you make the most gains by resting. Most of my marathon runners train every other day and then rest two days before the race.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    We must be twins, bc I was at the same boat as you! 102 and 5'4 here, but gained to 107 since April. Eat more and start lifting. I started lifting using dumbbells and machines (Our gym doesn't have barbells, but I do try to go with my uncle to his gym to train with him once a week with it). I gained a bit of fat and muscle, I look less pale and look healthier with more glow (From what people say). Being underweight causes infertility, and since I was suffering from an eating disorder and was underweight for quite some time, I didn't get my period for a few months. Hopefully it will be back soon, though (TMI, sorry). Make sure you visit the doctor! :)
    Hiya, just a few bits and pieces I picked up from my own weight-gain journey:

- If your weight is too low, your periods are likely to stop. Not only does this (obviously) affect your fertility, but it also affects your bone density. NOT to scare you, but osteoporosis is a relatively common side-effect of this and can have serious consequences for you later on in life
    - Even if you're a borderline healthy-BMI, it doesn't give you much leeway for if/when you get a sickness bug. If such an illness makes you lose weight, it will put your body in a very dangerous position because it was already an unhealthy weight to start with
    - Gaining weight will not slow you down as a runner. It will make your body more powerful and will provide your body with more fat to convert to muscle - I speak from experience!
    - I managed to gain without eating a single piece of cake (although cake isn't 'bad'!). Instead, I relied on nutritious but high-fat foods like nuts, full-fat milk, muesli, protein shakes, avocado, etc. However, when trying to gain weight it is a great excuse to eat the odd chocolate bar, especially if you want to gain more quickly. Gaining weight by eating only low-fat, low-sugar, low-calorie foods will be a looooong process. Also, you are more likely to feel bloated because you'll have to eat a LOT of these foods to reach your calorie goal
    - Trust the experts. When they say you've got to gain weight, it's not because they have a vendetta against thin people. Rather, they KNOW the consequences of being underweight and the benefits of being a healthy weight
    - If you're gaining, steer clear of magazines/the media - everywhere you look will be weight-loss tips, which can be unhelpful when you're doing the opposite
    - People will not judge you for putting on weight. Those who love you will be so, so glad to see you looking healthier
    - Treat yourself to something when you reach a healthy weight, i.e. a new pair of trainers or even a holiday

Sorry for the rambling essay! Message me if you need any emotional/practical support. Good luck :smile:

Thank you all!! Yes, I haven't had a period for a few months now. I thought it was due to just working out so much but I realize now it's a problem. I'm already planning on focusing more on lifting starting next week and a lot less running. It's hard because I am a healthy food nut And honestly don't have a huge appetite. So trying to gain healthy seems hard (especially when my family is trying to shove donuts and cookies - which I don't even like- down my throat!). Thanks for the support!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    Also are there long term consequences of low body fat or could I just gain weight when I want to have kids in a few years?

This comment, your BMI, and the fact that you've lost your period are very concerning. You're VERY underweight, and you're wondering if you can stay that way until you want to have kids?

Please consider speaking to your doctor.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @simmoner4 The person who advised you to eat nuts, avocado, etc was right on. High density foods of this nature will help you gain weight but not feel bloated or get full before you have consumed enough calories. Examples: Whole milk Greek yogurt, Cream, nuts (particularly Macadamia nuts), Avocado, Egg yolks, Whole eggs, Bacon, Olive oil drenched eggplant, tofu, kale chips, salad dressings, dried fruits, jerky, pork rinds, whole fat cheese, candy bars, chocolates...whatever you like. You can add some cream to your glass of whole milk or add avocado to a salad or a sandwich. You get the idea. Good luck with your marathon!
  • psuLemon
    Options

This comment, your BMI, and the fact that you've lost your period are very concerning. You're VERY underweight, and you're wondering if you can stay that way until you want to have kids?

Definitely should have concern since the OP lost her periods and is underweight, but 7lbs is not VERY underweight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Definitely should have concern since the OP lost her periods and is underweight, but 7lbs is not VERY underweight.

5'4" 102 and athletic with an 8.8% body fat? I'd say she's more underweight than the BMI suggests. Outliers....but sure, if you'd like to focus on my adjective, be my guest.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weigh 112. I dipped down to 108 when training for a half marathon I ran in March. I did not stop training like a marathon when I was over. After a month after the marathon I embarrassingly admit that I lost my period, I developed unexplained chronic fatique and just a complete feeling of unwell. Went and had blood work done and I bascially did suffer metabolic exhaustion from over training. My thryroid was low (T4) along with some other irregular or out of normal range metabolic tests.

Be careful with what ever you do. The best thing I ever did to recover was complete rest, no exercise (no running, no lifting and eating normally). This took me 14 days of nothing, but eating and after this two weeks I feeling well enough to incorporate very low exercise with a slight increase over a month, to what I am doing now.

This can hurt you and if you do not heed to doctors and family and even when your own body is communication with you, you can do some real damage.

My outcome, I am back to normal (got my period back), I still run, I do not run 45 miles a week any longer, but that has been cut in half (or down to 4 runs a week at about 20 - 24 miles) and I lift weights a gain and have been on a weight gain for the past month hoping to put on lean muscle and do a clean bulk.

You need to be ready to do what it is you need to do to put on weight. Everyone around you is signaling to you, its up to you to pay attention and heed warnings of loved ones, and please do this before your body shuts down.. I hope that you cut the miles way down on your running. Lifting weights and running still puts a demand on your body and if you do not treat it right and fuel it properly.. well I am a prime example of what can happen. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

5'4" 102 and athletic with an 8.8% body fat? I'd say she's more underweight than the BMI suggests. Outliers....but sure, if you'd like to focus on my adjective, be my guest.

Like I previously stated, I would question how the OP got that body fat %. I suspect a bioimpedance machine, which are notoriously inaccurate. The fact is, its very difficult for women to get that low.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    5'4" and 103 doesn't concern me as I know several small framed women who are that weight and healthy. HOWEVER, the 8.8% BF is hugely concerning which leads me to believe you are not small framed. It sounds like you have gotten some excellent advice on high caloric foods to eat that are healthy. Please start incorporating those into your meals as often as possible even before your marathon. After the race, maybe stop running for a while and let your body recover. You BF will affect your fertility. I used to be around 11% and really struggled to get pregnant with my second child. (First one was fine, but low BF + advanced age mattered on 2nd).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am not concerned with the body fat percentage per se, she is a bit underweight.. but the concern I have are the the side affects, lost period, no appetite, and there is a set state of mind that she is scared to loose her current body composition in order to get to a healthier weight... are all signs of over training and possible signs of an eating disorder.

But to train for a marathon, a person is in deed over training to some capacity and adding 3 days of weighting lifting to those same days that she running numerous miles is a recipe for something that can hurt the body in the long run...

She can and maybe completely not there yet, but she can have the ability to more harm than good.

I do think that she will be at the doctors office before her body completely shuts down, but the loss of period is the first along the lines of slew on things the body will shut in order to try to protect her prior to starting down her immune system and suffering metabolically.

She is not at all suffering illness yet, she is still able to perform athletically, and she is well aware of what is going on in terms of her weight and health and desire to have children, etc..

I predict a great outcome by her last post on this thread..
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    5'4" and 103 isn't a big deal, depending on body type. My mom was that size and popped out 10lb babies no problem, she was healthy at around 100lb.

The overtraining and losing your period is a bad sign. Like psulemon, I'd like to know how you are calculating the 8% bodyfat though? That seems low.
    I'm 5'9 so when 120 I am at the same BMI, but my bodyfat at that weight and doing only cardio is closer to 19%.

In any event - your results, both in health and in running, will likely be better if you incorporate more rest and nutrition. Nourish your body so that it can work well.

Also - you asked about gaining weight without changing your body composition, but if you are really at 8% body fat, that's a critically low fat % and what you need to change is your body composition. Essential body fat for women is estimated at 12%, and healthy fitness level of body fat is more like 18-20% for a lean female athlete (not bodybuilder).
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For a female, weight 104 at 5'4" is not terrible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not uncommon for athletic females at 12%-15% (which is what I'm betting the OP is at) to lose their periods. I doubt the OP is at under 9%. Her face (if that's a current pic) doesn't look "gaunt".
    OP would you mind posting a pic?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png