Do you use cooking oil?

Options
emz_1993
emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
I use coconut oil for cooking a big chunk of my meals but it always ends up racking up to be a bunch of extra cals that I don't need. Do any of you guys use a substitute or even no oils at all?

Replies

• tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i use olive oil sparingly in nonstick pans
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes. Use water and spices.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil and butter (sparingly) .... fat is not evil ya know :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use oils/fats but not in everything I cook.

• rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i use olive oil sparingly in nonstick pans

Yes - good non-stick cookware has given me the ability to cut the amount of olive oil I use by half.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I use spray olive oil when frying, but I try not to use a lot.
  • rebeccaemma1712
    rebeccaemma1712 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    frylight is really good. its only 1 cal a spray and theres loads of different flavours
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't use it for the eggs I nuke in the microwave but I do use it for recipes and such.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I use a little rapeseed oil, about 5ml which is 41 calories.
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I don't use it for the eggs I nuke in the microwave but I do use it for recipes and such.

Frying eggs in oil is ok as the eggs don't soak up the oil. Try weighing the oil before frying an egg, then weigh what's left after cooking the egg. Not much is used.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I don't use oil when I cook veg and meat dinners. I start the veg off slowly with the onions first since they are watery. I add whatever I want and pour in a little water as needed. Garlic goes last so it doesn't burn. My meats never need it. If I'm cooking eggs or pancakes I use spray oil.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Frying eggs in oil is ok as the eggs don't soak up the oil. Try weighing the oil before frying an egg, then weigh what's left after cooking the egg. Not much is used.
    It takes longer to cook it on the pan.

As for the microwave, there's no point in adding oil. It just comes out right there.

• fr33sia12
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

It takes longer to cook it on the pan.

As for the microwave, there's no point in adding oil. It just comes out right there.

Yeh I'm just saying in case other people (like OP) think it's bad to fry eggs in oil. I myself find microwave eggs too rubbery and I like a runny yolk too :)
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I actually use butter more than oil, since it has fewer calories/tbsp and tastes better, too. Or rendered bacon fat, which packs a ton of flavor for volume.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, olive oil, coconut oil, and butter, depending on the flavor I want and the use.

Small amounts work, however. That was one thing that helped me reduce calories.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If I'm sauteeing raw chicken, I'll use a little olive oil. If I'm reheating pre-cooked chicken, I'll use Pam/spray.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil, is not only higher in calories, but fats and sugars too. I've never really seen an experienced dieter use more than one tablespoon in smoothies and juices. It's still a healthier oil to use than others, but respectively. Care for how much oil used prepping non-stick surfaces, two teaspoons is usually enough for eight to twelve ounces of meat. When it comes to cooking grade oils, aim for Organic and Non-GMO.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, it depends if it fits with everything else for the day and sometimes I forget to add it when planning my day out, in which case I don't.

Get yourself a really good quality non stick frying pan; it makes a huge difference. I can fry pretty much anything with no oil if I need to.
  • CooCooPuff
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Coconut Oil, is not only higher in calories, but fats and sugars too.
    MMJ5fbi.jpg
    W81BnvB.jpg

No carbs means it can't have any sugar.