Experiences with GERD

Options
I've recently been diagnosed with GERD and instead of taking medication am aiming to control it with diet, I've got all the information from the doctor and whilst some things are easy to get rid of, because I don't eat them anyway, there are a couple of staples which are now on the "avoid list" which I've found myself eating without even really thinking about it (hello tomatoes!)
Looking for experiences, recipes or suggested alternatives you guys might have tried, especially for things like tomatoes, Greek yoghurt which are now definitely not recommended but we such versatile and tasty foods!
Also, although coffee and alcohol are now firmly on the banned list I only currently have 1 coffee a day and 1 alcoholic drink a month, and am honestly most reluctant to cut these out altogether because my intake is already so reduced and these have become "treats. In your experiences (and I know everyone is different) how much of an effect does occasional caffeine and alcohol have?

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have had GERD from birth. I was on medication as a baby because the acid would come up when I laid down and cut off my breathing. I haven't taken regular medication for it in years because I've learned my body. I do find that triggers for people with GERD can vary a lot from person to person. You are definitely going to want to learn yours. Although Ranch Dressing is my arch nemesis, I don't really restrict anything. I have learned quantity and timing are just as important as the food. Eating anything I have a problem with in large amounts, really quickly, before working out, or before lying down will cause problems. However, I can have a little bit otherwise and be fine. I do not have any issues with caffeine. A little alcohol is fine, but if I have more than a little then I'll have an issue.

Do you have GERD symptoms following your coffee? Do you notice a difference between cooked and raw tomatoes? Do you notice a difference is timing?

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for H. pylori?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have been off my GERD meds for years, but my triggers are dark chocolate (especially on an empty stomach), tea (regular or decaf, black or green), garlic, mint, tomato sauce. Mint is especially bad because it relaxes your lower esophageal sphincter, allowing acid to enter your esophagus. I went to the ER once after drinking a large glass of orange juice on an empty stomach. I am able to eat all those things still, but make sure that they are not alone in my stomach (and as aub6689 stated, quantity and timing are important). So figure out your triggers and avoid them for awhile. Re-introduce them in small quantities.

Things that have definitely helped me quit the meds: never eat after 6pm, do not get too full, sleep with the head end of your bed elevated on blocks about 6" (keeps everything down in the stomach instead of sloshing up). Remain upright for a few hours after eating. Eat your trigger foods early in the day.
  • hannahemiley
    hannahemiley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks both for the quick responses! tiny_clanger I was taking a PPI which was also a treatment for h. Pylori, after 3 months the doctor thinks this treatment hasn't had any effect, so whilst I haven't had a test they are thinking that wasn't the cause.
    I have started a food diary but not long enough to start to pull out patterns, one thing I noticed instantly is that eating late is a problem for me. This is an annoying symptom to manage socially I find, nobody else really enjoys having dinner at 5pm! aub6689, I've seen a lot of recommendations for frequent small meals, is this something you've tried?
    If I have a coffee shop coffee with soy milk I have no issues but instant coffee with real milk causes problems within the hour... perhaps the issue there is the milk? Greek yoghurt and chocolate are definitely off limits as I get symptoms within 15 minutes. Other types of yoghurt seem to be fine.
    An acquaintance also has GERD and occasionally eats fast food and then complains she feels unwell, I've never had much sympathy, but now I'm starting to realise how difficult can be to balance eating what you want and eating what you should - I'm going on holiday to France this week and just know the cheese will be hard to avoid!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I take betaine HCl because my GERD was from low stomach acid. I can eat whatever I want now.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    In my experience, this affects many of us differently.

I can eat before bed, but can really never have caffeinated or decaf coffee - both too acidic. Tea is fine, but no soda. I can eat spicy foods and tomatoes in moderation and all the yogurt that I want. Juices are a no-no and I have to limit the raw fruits and veg that I love. I can drink white wine but have to be careful about red wine. Most meds really exacerbate my reflux. And I have to be careful not to have much fried/fast foods.
  • firsttime4everything3
    Options
    Use to suffer with GERD for years. Finally decided to try what a friend suggested (and I researched) and started taking 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized), 1 teaspoon honey (raw is best) in a glass of water (hot is best). Took about 2 weeks before I had no problems. Now I can eat anything I want...if the symptoms come back I simply have a glass and they are gone. Btw, haven't had a glass in over a year!
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just saw your question about frequent small meals -- yes I do this a lot. I sometimes prepare big meals but break them up and eat them in several sittings. I feel I can eat too much too fast if I get really hungry, so I don't. I just eat all day.
  • tiny_clanger
    Options
    Sorry - late replying

" tiny_clanger I was taking a PPI which was also a treatment for h. Pylori"

You also need to be taking an antibiotic - H pylori is a bacteria, so a PPI alone will not kill it. If you have not been diagnosed before, a blood test can be done to identify antibodies which is a trigger for initial treatment. There is also a breath test which will identify acute infection (as once the antibodies are identified, you will have them for life, so the blood test is ineffective). You should be referred for the breath test if symptoms persist after treatment (2x antibiotics and PPI)

H pylori does long term damage to the stomach, so it will take time to heal once the infection is removed. Also, the anti-b's are really quite toxic, so you might have some residual digestive issues for several months after treatment.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I take betaine HCl because my GERD was from low stomach acid. I can eat whatever I want now.

I too was taking this after getting off my PPIs and now I dont have to take them. just an antacid once in awhile.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sorry - late replying

" tiny_clanger I was taking a PPI which was also a treatment for h. Pylori"

You also need to be taking an antibiotic - H pylori is a bacteria, so a PPI alone will not kill it. If you have not been diagnosed before, a blood test can be done to identify antibodies which is a trigger for initial treatment. There is also a breath test which will identify acute infection (as once the antibodies are identified, you will have them for life, so the blood test is ineffective). You should be referred for the breath test if symptoms persist after treatment (2x antibiotics and PPI)

H pylori does long term damage to the stomach, so it will take time to heal once the infection is removed. Also, the anti-b's are really quite toxic, so you might have some residual digestive issues for several months after treatment.
    I agree antibiotics along with some kind of antacids for 2 weeks is usually the treatment. the breath test can come next or first depending on doctor. and then after that its fecal testing. it can be spread to your partner and spouse too by saliva(kissing,sharing utensils,etc)
  • tiny_clanger
    Options
    Oh god, I'd forgotten about the poo test. Not a pleasant experience as a student, walking up to the campus medical centre with my sample container wrapped in (several) plastic bags.

re: the testing - it depends where you are. The breath test is more expensive, so generally comes second or third in the UK, not sure if that bumps it up the diagnostic queue in the US ;)
  • JodyFit13
    JodyFit13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My GERD issues cleared up while transitioning to a whole food plant based diet. It's been about a year now and I've been GERD free. BTW: I love and still eat plenty of fresh, canned, dried tomato products. I'm drinking coffee as I type this note and I enjoyed both wine and beer over the weekend. Feel free to friend me if you'd like to share ideas!
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So beer doesn't bother my GERD. But drinks with triple sec or sweet and sour do. I also cannot do oranges, white onions, and too much tomato. Thankfully, hot peppers do not bother mine. I could not live without my spices. I've also found a healthier weight lessens my symptoms too.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Recently realized that tuna is a no no for me. Too bad, I really like canned tuna.
  • brenda_men
    brenda_men Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had really bad reflux due to H. Pilori. I had treatment for it three times and I coild.never get rid of it. So I started changing my diet. This bacteria feeds on sugar and refined flour. So for six months I did no sugar, no flour. I bought a probiotic and started using coconut oil and coconut water since it kills H. Pilori. PPIs do.not fix the problem it's only a temporary solution and it damages your liver very badly if used for a very long time. I also took noni juice. I'm now free of H. Pilori, no more reflux and I can eat whatever I want, well I don't do junk food or greasy food anyway. I do have to eat on time though if not I get bloated because of stomach acid. Hope this helps.