Lost weight but stil feel fat :-(

Options
:( Is this a normal feeling??
Lost nearly 2 stone, Yet I have good days and bad. One day I think I look ok, The next is where the hell did that belly come from.....what's going on.

Replies

• __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking pictures of yourself to compare the old you with the new you? A lot of people here talk about getting to their goal weight and are still not happy with what they see so what you're feeling is totally normal. I say, do your hair and makeup (or whatever you do to make yourself feel pretty) and take a bunch of selfies, your bound to find a pic that you like where you can see the difference!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    :( Is this a normal feeling??
    Lost nearly 2 stone, Yet I have good days and bad. One day I think I look ok, The next is where the hell did that belly come from.....what's going on.

It's normal.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Congrats on your great loss!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Fernando used to say it's better to look good that to feel good.
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yep normal, I think sometimes it depends on the time of the month and how much water I'm retaining as to how I look. Like others have said look at old pictures of yourself when you feel like that and be proud of how far you've come! X
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It takes the head a while to catch up with the body...it took me about a year to feel I was actually slim. In fact even yet when I catch a glimpse of myself in windows/mirrors even yet it still doesn't look like that's really me (and I've been this size for 3 yrs now!)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i think it's normal for some it to take some time to catch up. What's NOT normal is full blown body dysmorphia.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    How long is it since you lost the weight?

I know slim people who have never been fat, but still feel like they have a "belly". I'm afraid it just happens sometimes, your brain tells you lies.
  • annie3571974
    annie3571974 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments, think I'll take some pics eek and go from there.
    I've lost nearly 2 stone over the last year or so. Coming off slowly xx
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't see any pictures of you now to see if you're being unfair to yourself or maybe you need to lift weights to shape up or need to lose more. I just recently took photos of myself to compare to the ones I took last Ocotober. I was a smaller version of my fat self.. It was depressing and sobering. I realized I need to lift weights and lose more weight. I know I should be happy I'm smaller and I am..but I am just not as far as i had hoped.
  • annie3571974
    annie3571974 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've thought about doing weights. But its knowing what does what,& what I need to do. Maybe I need to have a chat when I go to the gym next week. :)
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way after losing 60lbs. I looked in the mirror and couldn't see any difference even though I'd gone down 4 dress sizes and 7 inches from my waist and hips. Luckily I took progress pics through my weight loss and that's when I realised I was a lot smaller and no longer over weight.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling too. I have good days when i feel great and think i look great, and down days, when all i can do is see what i don't like. Give yourself a break, try to focus on good and positive changes. I have to say, i feel that some mirrors are just touch more distorted, so that's my logic on a down days, hehe. My clothes are hanging much more, going down in sizes, fitting into things that i kept because i loved them, but couldn't wear for years. I'm sure you are in same boat, so give yourself a needed credit for all the hard work.
  • katemartino8
    katemartino8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is so much more to weight loss than calories and the scale, and sometimes we feel that losing our extra weight will make us happy and improve confidence. Without addressing the emotional side of things, reaching a goal weight or losing weight won't make us feel the way we hoped it would. Appreciating and celebrating each accomplishment is important as well as not being so hard on yourself. Try to identify where these feelings are coming from, because they're independent of your appearance and weight. Talking to a therapist might be really helpful to work through the emotional side of weight loss as well so you can enjoy the journey and live your best life!

I completely agree with the hormonal fluctuations and water retention, that can really influence how you feel in your own skin regardless of how you actually look.