Low carb diet

Options
Is 50-100 of carb intake considered good for a low carb diet?

Replies

• dragonflylady94
    dragonflylady94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It all depends.
    Check out the Atkins site...for phase one (Induction) you only eat 20-25 carbs a day, and most of that comes from "approved" veggies.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to do low carb? There are no magic benefits.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Seriously. The only reason I can think of to go on low carb is if you have some medical condition, like diabetes... In which case you should speak to your doctor and get a referral to a dietician/nutritionist who can better answer your question.
  • lmyteveli
    lmyteveli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Only if you can still feel energetic and healthy
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs below 80 g per day. Lost nearly 50 lbs that way, without having to count calories or go hungry (I always struggled on strictly calorie counting- too many carbs makes me unnecessarily hungry, but this is most definitely a YMMV type of thing) and have kept it off for about 3 years now. I do LCHF, not for any diagnosed medical condition (tho I do have a family history of type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and Alzheimer's), but rather for satiety. It also helps that I love the food!

OP- there is no strict definition for LC. Most of the ranges I've seen put anything less than 50 g per day as very LC or keto, 50-100 as a pretty standard low carb diet, and 100-150 as a more moderate carb diet. 50-100 sounds like a fairly good starting point, if you want to try it out. There are some very knowledgable people on the low carb forum that will give you some guidance (beyond the standard MFP responses of omg why would anyone do that!!eleventy!!). Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I try to watch my carbs and fall into the low carb diet range. Some days are lower than others. Last week I averaged 90 carbs per day.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Check out the facebook group Ketogenic Dieters. There's a ton of info there. Everyone on that page sticks to 20 gm or less, so yes, 50-100 is doable, but not sure you'll see the results you crave.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    eating more protein and less carbs is a good way to HELP maintain muscle while losing BF %.

I eat a 39% protein /54% fat / 7% carbs. That's right around 35 carbs a day where I stand now.

Personally I like the full feeling I get out of eating low carb. Fat keeps me full. I don't eat grains.

I've lost 82 pounds or so eating like this. Works for me - it's not for everyone though.

Try to eat 1.2x's your lean body weight in grams of protein.
  • stanna14
    stanna14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what your macros should be if doing atkins 40? I started ketogenic but I have stomach cramps, I have around 14lbs to lose.