consistently very under my calories for the day

Options
I am on the Isagenix program. I like it. However I tried, it's been three weeks, and was good but my big problem is not having an appetite. I've always been like that. Eating two shakes, two 100-150 calorie snacks, and a 400-600 calorie dinner is too much food for me. I stopped the snacks and a big dinner three days ago. Plus I started walking so MFP wants me to have more calories. I know it is generally recommended to eat every three hours to boost metabolism. Anyone have ideas or suggestions? I've lost weight in the three days, but don't know if being so under calories is healthy.

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    So you're eating around 500-800 cal/day now? You're starving your body. Please start to incorporate more food into your diet. You are causing problems in your body. Please watch this video that will show you why extreme low calorie diets are bad for long term success in fat loss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5C3uqA1yRI
  • frankfighter
    frankfighter Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To the video above, isn't this why we slowly decrease calories, as well as slowly increase them?
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am on the Isagenix program. I like it. However I tried, it's been three weeks, and was good but my big problem is not having an appetite. I've always been like that. Eating two shakes, two 100-150 calorie snacks, and a 400-600 calorie dinner is too much food for me. I stopped the snacks and a big dinner three days ago. Plus I started walking so MFP wants me to have more calories. I know it is generally recommended to eat every three hours to boost metabolism. Anyone have ideas or suggestions? I've lost weight in the three days, but don't know if being so under calories is healthy.

Are you trying to lose weight? If so then how did you get fat in the first place? Clearly by eating too much, like the rest of us. I really find it hard to imagine you have no appetite all of a sudden.

By the way Isagenix is a pricey way to eat.
  • littledee55
    littledee55 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »

Are you trying to lose weight? If so then how did you get fat in the first place? Clearly by eating too much, like the rest of us. I really find it hard to imagine you have no appetite all of a sudden.

By the way Isagenix is a pricey way to eat.

Yes I'm trying to loose,weight. Never had a problem until I got thyroid cancer and my body is not like it used to be. I always liked sweets, but for real, I have never been a big eater. I think I need to eat more to boost my metabolism which is part if the reason I posted. I list 70 pounds by eating a hard boiled egg for breakfast, yogurt for lunch, and chicken for dinner for six months. No problem because I don't have an appetite. I hope that explains it. And yes isagenix is pricy but I have never felt so good. Just feel way to stuffed.
  • littledee55
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):

avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

Thank you so much. Most of this is not allowed on my program. But maybe I need to reevaluate. Thank you so much for your info and time to make the list. It is so appreciated!
  • littledee55
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    So you're eating around 500-800 cal/day now? You're starving your body. Please start to incorporate more food into your diet. You are causing problems in your body. Please watch this video that will show you why extreme low calorie diets are bad for long term success in fat loss.

Thank you so much! This was an eye opener. Where can I find the other videos. I'd like to learn more.
  • littledee55
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how often you eat. It's not going to "boost metabolism" to eat every 3 hours and it won't slow down your metabolism if you go longer without eating.

I would suggest incorporating "real food"... or other food. Maybe bananas and peanut butter. Or cheese, greek yogurt, eggs? Find things that have lots of calories for little portions and eat them.

Generally I have found that only eating when you're hungry isn't really the best guideline, as the body can be rather inefficient at sending out hunger/full cues, despite what people seem to think. (this is based only off of things I've noticed in other people and experienced myself). It is unhealthy to not eat enough calories. Your body NEEDS calories to function. It also really needs nutrients.

Thank you so much for the info. It was very helpful.
  • littledee55
    Options

PS yes eating closer to 500 calories a day. I wrote to someone else below, i ate for six months a hard boiled egg for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and little chicken for dinner. Lost 70 pounds. That's why I felt like I could go so low.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I assume Isagenix is some sort of protein shake? These type of product are prescribed by doctors in the case of obese people who have had stomach bands. A six to eight week programme is usual and not harmful to health. BUT the doctor will be checking your health regularly. Doing it yourself, especially for long periods of time might be foolhardy.
    You don't tell us how much weight you need to lose. If it's a lot I'd say don't worry too much and gradually increase your intake. You won't lose weight so fast, in fact when you increase you will plateau for a few days. But you'll be getting back to a more normal diet that you can eventually follow for life.
    You don't feel hungry because of the hormone changes that happen when you radically reduce calories, but you might get low moods, feel cold or feel lethargic.
    Try soups and milkshakes (homemade if you can) as a way to increase your intake. And this is a MUST - take a multi-vitamin tablet every day until you are back to recommended intake.
  • littledee55
    Options
    Isagenix is a clean eating program but yes, you have to have two shakes a day.

Thank you so very much for the information. My coach is my sister in law and doesn't think I'm taking the program seriously, not true, told me to force myself to eat. And I had to see a GI Dr. because i was having stomach problems.

Wow I had a gut feeling the chills, lethargy, and mood swings had something to do with the program.

I REALLY appreciate your suggestions and explanations. You were a big help.

Hugs!!!

Much thanks.
  • littledee55
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how often you eat. It's not going to "boost metabolism" to eat every 3 hours and it won't slow down your metabolism if you go longer without eating.

I would suggest incorporating "real food"... or other food. Maybe bananas and peanut butter. Or cheese, greek yogurt, eggs? Find things that have lots of calories for little portions and eat them.

Generally I have found that only eating when you're hungry isn't really the best guideline, as the body can be rather inefficient at sending out hunger/full cues, despite what people seem to think. (this is based only off of things I've noticed in other people and experienced myself). It is unhealthy to not eat enough calories. Your body NEEDS calories to function. It also really needs nutrients.

Thank you for the information. The program was great the first four weeks. I do need more real food. But this is a clean eating program so a lot of stuff I'm not supposed to have. It may not wind up being for me. I know my body needs calories. The programs,shakes,and other items they sell like fiber bars for example are chocked full of good vitamins and other things like green tea and things I can't remember. Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!

Hugs!
  • littledee55
    Options

Thank you very much. This may not be the thing for me.

Hugs!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, is your sister in law a medical person (ie a qualified medical doctor)? Or is she a sales person?

With your medical history, it sounds like a very bad idea indeed to put yourself on a program where you are cutting calories to a bare minimum for survival.

I'm really not surprised you are experiencing chills, lethargy etc. I'm not an expert, but I'd guess that this is your body diverting the few calories it is getting to important functions - like keeping your heart beating and sending blood to your vital organs, and not to less critical things like keeping you warm and full of bounce.

I highly recommend that you get yourself to a doctor that you trust as soon as possible and discuss how much your should be eating in order to stay healthy while you lose weight. You may also want to ask for a referral to a dietician to discuss an eating plan that works for you.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Program tells you to eat clean, but use our highly processed and overpriced products.

Sounds legit.

"Eating clean" doesn't mean anything.

Please eat more food. Learn from my fail. 4 surgeries, 3 breaks, 3 plates, 2 bone grafts later, I wish I'd learned more earlier about the life long effects eating low calorie can have.
  • littledee55
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Hmmm, is your sister in law a medical person (ie a qualified medical doctor)? Or is she a sales person?

With your medical history, it sounds like a very bad idea indeed to put yourself on a program where you are cutting calories to a bare minimum for survival.

I'm really not surprised you are experiencing chills, lethargy etc. I'm not an expert, but I'd guess that this is your body diverting the few calories it is getting to important functions - like keeping your heart beating and sending blood to your vital organs, and not to less critical things like keeping you warm and full of bounce.

I highly recommend that you get yourself to a doctor that you trust as soon as possible and discuss how much your should be eating in order to stay healthy while you lose weight. You may also want to ask for a referral to a dietician to discuss an eating plan that works for you.

Sis in law is,a dental hygienist. I'm the RN. Oh and any problems i hav asked her about, its my fault, never the program. What you said makes a lot of sense. Because of all my medical conditions, drs have been trying to get me to a nutritionist for years. Wasn't ready to give up chocolate and iced cream. I am ready to make big, healthy changes. I felt so good the first four weeks, but this past week, everything has been going on. Stomach problems, not sleeping, MS flaring up. I was hoping it was coincidence. I am finding out a lot of people have had to go off this program.

I have the perfect dr I have been seeing over 20 years. I will make an appt for a nutritional consult/referral asap.

Thanks for taking your time to help me.

Have a great weekend!
  • littledee55
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Program tells you to eat clean, but use our highly processed and overpriced products.

Sounds legit.

"Eating clean" doesn't mean anything.

Please eat more food. Learn from my fail. 4 surgeries, 3 breaks, 3 plates, 2 bone grafts later, I wish I'd learned more earlier about the life long effects eating low calorie can have.

Oh wow. I'm sad to hear you've been through so much. You make an excellent point. I have enough medical problems not related to dieting. I am going to a liscenced nutritionist.

Thank you for your honesty, time, and input. It is greatly appreciated. :)

Have a great weekend!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Dietician. Go to a dietician not a nutritionist. I can guarantee the dietician will say it's perfectly fine to eat ice cream and chocolate now and again.

You're not eating enough and are going to end up with a lot of problems, some irreversible, if you don't get a handle on this. Eat food, any food, it all has some nutritional benefit, even ice cream! Arbitrary rules are the last thing you need right now.