For those on 1200 calories a day

emz_1993
emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
Are you starving throughout the day on that many cals? I want to lose up to 2 lbs a week but I don't think I can go that low without being absolutely miserable. I have been on that calorie restriction before and I was really hungry all the time. I'm set to about 1450 cals now but I regularly go over which explains why I haven't been losing that much weight lately. I want to lose 25 lbs more by new years. I'm already down 35 lbs.

Replies

• cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member

cmacphee3 wrote: »
    If you want to eat more, work out more!

No. Don't workout to allow your eating. Eat to fuel your workouts. The idea presented flirts with disordered thinking surrounding exercise & food. Better not to even go down that road. [/quote]

Yes, I didn't word that very well. I guess what I meant was that I set myself on sedentary, but I'm NOT sedentary, so as I workout my calorie limit goes up on mfp (fitbit steps as well) and so 1200 isn't actually what I should be at as a lightly to moderately active person. I don't mean to use exercise as a purging method. Just that if you are active then an extra 250 calories really isn't something to worry about.

I also eat to fuel my exercise, as on strength training days I throw in an extra snack to ensure I have enough glycogen in my muscles to get through my workout. Otherwise I lose energy halfway through.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    What are your stats? Ht/Weight. How often do you workout and what do you do.

Honestly, just by looking at your pic(s), you probably don't have the weight to lose to sustain 2lbs per week. You're probably at a point where 1lb per week should be more your goal.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    I exercise and eat my exercise calories, I couldn't manage without them x good luck
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    i eat 1200 to 1500 cals a day. low carb and never hungry
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    If you are less than 50 lbs overweight set your goal for .5 or 1 lb a week instead of 2 lbs a week. If you only have 25 lbs to lose 2 lbs a week is too aggressive a goal. If you are consistently losing weight at a higher calorie goal maybe accept slower but more comfortable loss. (Also weigh and measure your food and log as accurately as you can.)

My calorie goal is 1200 currently. I prelog my food for the whole day. I try to get enough protein foods and fats as well as several servings of vegetables or fruits. I eat more than 1200 calories most days though because I eat some of my exercise calories. I'm not hungry all day long.
    This is how I eat and spread out my calories:
    Typical breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Typical lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Typical dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Typical snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I'm a 1200 eater too, and never hungry enough to go off my routine. I dont eat breakfast apart from a couple of coffees, eat a small to moderate lunch and use most of my calories at dinner and early evening, when I am at my hungriest, and am most vulnerable to over eating.
  • 777dawne
    777dawne Posts: 27 Member
    I eat around 1000-1100 a day, I drink a lot of water and zero calorie juices like bai or life water. I also tend to eat small snacks throughout the day (every 2-3 hours) so I'm never usually hungry unless it's before bed, then I'll make tea

• 777dawne
    Does that work for you? My coach got mad at me because I wasn't eating 1500 a day :D
  • 777dawne
    Hmm, ladies i was eating 1200 a day, my coach got mad said i need 1500 a day, i work out daily, strength training, ugh i don't know
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    777dawne wrote: »
    Hmm, ladies i was eating 1200 a day, my coach got mad said i need 1500 a day, i work out daily, strength training, ugh i don't know

1,200 is generally the lowest a woman should go. If you're working out, it is likely that you need more food than that.
  • Rebekah_89
    Rebekah_89 Posts: 61 Member
    Yea I'm on 1200 calories a day as well. I can't do that. I tend to eat more than 1200 calories. Maybe I need to up my veggies and protein, maybe that will help.
  • wantitforthewow
    wantitforthewow Posts: 128 Member
    i eat every two hours i usually eat between 1200-1400 but i burn about 800 to 1000 calories after my work outs a day so i can afford more protein calories
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I don't eat breakfast (I don't feel hungry until afternoon), I don't drink my calories (except alcohol), and I make sure my meals have a good amount of protein and fat. I have found through trial and error that fat keeps me full. Fiddle around with your macros and see what helps you feel most satisfied.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    i eat every two hours i usually eat between 1200-1400 but i burn about 800 to 1000 calories after my work outs a day so i can afford more protein calories

Wait... wat?
    Are you eating a TOTAL of 1200 - 1400 calories a day then burning off 800 to 1000 - so you're NETTING about 400 calories a day?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    If I exercise I eat back those calories, so 1200 for me is without any exercise.