Binging before bed :/

Options
Ugh, last night was sooo hard for me. To make matters worse, I didn't get ANY sleep, so bare with me...

I am not really a "sweets" person.. never really been big on candy, etc.... last night... whew!

I gave my son a piece of white chocolate last night and thought "hmmm, it wouldn't hurt to have just a bite"... WORST mistake ever! It tasted sooooo good, I found myself wanting more and more... and even soda to drink!! I kept from drinking the soda but snagged a few more pieces of chocolate. I had to force myself to lay down just to stop eating it :( Stayed awake the whole time.. so disappointed in myself :( The other day I was having trouble sleeping and figured I was hungry so I made freakin rice! Ate a WHOLE bag of the rice you boil in a bag... salt and butter and all....Ugh... so mad at myself...

Most times I am able to fight off the food cravings before bed, but it's like they are getting worse and worse... It's really starting to bug me..

(Post is just more or less a vent, to get it off my chest) :/

Replies

• mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    sounds like you crave carbs....any chance if you are hungry you can whip up a protein shake to satisfy the hunger and add some unsweetened cocoa powder and dried mint and make it a chocolate mint shake with less guilt?
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with just before bed binges, for me its caused by tiredness. I'm up early every morning either for work or just up with my toddler, and my husband works evening shifts. So while I'm ready for bed by around 10 -10:30 each night he doesn't get home until nearer 11. So if I don't stay up to see him we hardly ever see each other. But after a few evenings like that in a row I get the munchies real bad! It took me a long time to work out that it was because I was over tired and my body was craving sugar for energy. Other than trying to get enough sleeop I've not found any ways to beat it. But your not alone x
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    It's okay Tina! I hope you logged the calories that you had last night. You have to have a plan to combat the cravings. You could get some healthy granola bars that have chocolate in them. There's so many healthier options you could have "cheated" with. Could you revamp the treats you give your children with fruit snacks or something less tempting?

Don't beat yourself up. You're on the site this morning and you're still committed to meeting your goals. You'll be fine!!

:glasses:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Are you eating less than you were through the day? I noticed with myself if I look back at my day, there is usually something lacking somewhere on those days. If I am hungry, I eat, just try to make better choices. One thing I do when I start looking the cupboards, fridge and anything else for something to fill a void is make a huge salad. I dont car if it is 10pm. I eat it until I darn near have to gag the last bites down...LOL....pretty much takes care of eating things I "shouldnt" have. Good luck.....you can do this. Just find something that works for you! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about eating your dinner later, or splitting it into two, saving some for just before bed?
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm a night eater, so I can relate. It's gotten to the point where I just leave extra calories for it. I know that I'm going to have that snack sometime between 8-11pm, regardless of what I've eaten throughout the day. So now I just plan for it, and allow myself roughly 2-300 calories for that time of night. I know some people will argue that eating that late at night is stalling my weight loss, but for me it's more about being in control of what I eat and when I eat it. I think the scariest thing about binges is that lack of control, and you realize (after you're done mowing through everything in the kitchen) that you weren't really that hungry to begin with and you were just eating for the taste of it. Basically, what I'm saying is, you're definitely not alone. Just try to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again today!
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've done it too. Sometimes b/c I am tired & the only way to stay awake is to keep busy with munching - other times b/c I am just sitting there with my husband watching tv. Usually it is my only "down" time of the day b/c my 4 year old is in bed - when she is up I am never just sitting around watching tv - the only other time I watch tv is when I am folding laundry or my 5 minute check of the weather in the am when I am making coffee. I need something to "do" during downtime so I won't mindlessly munch - but I am not sure what that thing is. If I try to get housework done my husband says to sit down & relax b/c I am making him tired. It is a test of the willpower to not snack before bed.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    OK - first things first - don't beat yourself up over what's past: Its done, lets learn from it and move on...

Clearly if you are craving food at night now and you didn't in the past, something has changed - what is it?

- Are you dehydrated - you could just be thirsty?

- Is your body craving something specific? I find I get protein cravings if I've been working out: it just feels like I'm hungry but I keep feeling that way unless I eat chicken (or similar) or drink a protein shake: Even if I eat a ton of carbs!

- Are you stressed over something and eating is a response to this rather than actual hunger? If so, try and find a way to relax before you sleep like a hot bath.

Normally when I eat something 'because its there' I try and remove temptation - e.g. with the chocolate I would decide to eat (4) pieces and actually bin the rest. Seams like a waste but how is it different to scoffing it except I wont gain weight? Harder to do if its someone else's chocolate though... maybe get a safe and give them a key (joke)...

Anyway - the very fact you posted about it suggests you will crack this one: good luck.

[EDIT] PS: Eating protein before bed is good for you: Your body will use it for muscle rebuild overnight
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I was JUST about to post about this! ((hugs)) Last night it was crazy busy so I took some Ambien. I ended up eating THREE bowls of cereal. I'm trying still to lose the weight I gained in Philly last weekend and this is what I do. I'm sooooo annoyed with myself. I hear you. Nighttime for some reason is HARD.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    As everyone said, you should not continue to beat yourelf up. What it LOOKS like from seeing your diary is that you are not eating enough on some days and some of the foods are empty calories or overly processed things like the soda and hamburger helper. Try more nutrient dense foods that are lower in calories and you will feel fuller I think. You can also save some calories for a planned, late night snack because some people just need that. HUGGGS! I am sure you will get this worked out. :-)
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Instead of pushing off your cravings and pushing them off until you can't stand them anymore, have your craving item during the day right after a meal in a controlled portion. Then for supper have a high fiber high protein meal. And then stay out of the kitchen except to get more water and such. It goes a long way to keeping you satisfied for the night.

Along with that make sure you are getting solid meals, enough calories in the day so your body isn't impulsing you to reach for the quickest snack to grab. Also stay away from processed crap. They rob us of our ability to feel full and actually funnel our cravings toward bad carbs. Eat whole fruits and veggies, whole grains, all natural foods you can pronounce all the ingredients to. Stay away from anything that says "enriched flour" it means they robbed it of all the nutrients then sprinkled on some chemical vitamins (not the same ones they robbed mind you) and called it "enriched".
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    I used to be a late-night snacker (haha, "used to be" as in I still pretty much am. But I consider myself in reform!) I try to eat my dinners a tad later and I usually save some calories for a little snack close-ish to bed-time. I know people say you shouldn't eat that late, but hey..what works for me works for me and the same goes for you. I think in my case, what might help is if I brushed and flossed my teeth a little earlier. I find that this takes my mind off food, plus I know if I eat i'll have to start the dental hygiene process ALL OVER again. Maybe this could help you too?
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue last night. About an hour before bedtime my stomach started growling and I couldn't stand it, so I had a soft pretzel, and after I ate it, I decided to eat another one! I could kick myself. But have to chalk it up to a bad day/decision and start the next day over with a fresh outlook of "I can do it". My mantra lately has been "slow and steady wins the race", so just take each day as a fresh start and know that even if you only lose 1/2 a pound, it's something. If you lose nothing, well at least you know what you need to work on, and again, just worry about today! You can do it!
  • kklemencic
    kklemencic Posts: 45
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, change takes time. You will find a way to beat the craving one night, and that night will multipy into 2 and before you know it you will have beaten those cravings. You just have to find what works best for you and give yourself time, we can't change habits overnight. Hang in there and keep at it you can do it.
  • megskimo
    megskimo Posts: 7
    Options
    Agh I'm totally with you! The problem with binges is that you don't want to stop, because when you do, you start feeling guilty!

Making sure you have loads of safe foods in the house helps, no fat yoghurt, strawberries carrot sticks etc.

Also remembering there is no such thing as off the wagon, as long as you write everything in!

xxx
  • Loruhama
    Loruhama Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello my dear! Do not allow guilt to sink it, keep in mind the reason(s) you want to become healthier. I find this interesting, because I have done it a many times before, hence why I am on this site (help!). One thing that I have found works for me is to eat plenty of fruit. On the days I am eating lots of fruit I notice that I tend to stay more in control of the things I eat, in turn eating less calories. Fruit balances my blood sugar levels and this is a great way for me to be consistent, since low blood sugar drives me to binge. Then of course, my sugar spikes and decreases just as rapidly. Leaving me feeling tired and sad.

What are you thinking now?
  • Sofitness
    Sofitness Posts: 54
    Options
    What if you'd try to stop depriving yourself and plan according to your cravings instead? If you get hungry before going to sleep, you probably eat dinner to early. Cut it in two smaller dinners and make it food that you know you'll probably want - if you crave rice, then have the rice! And there's nothing bad with having a piece of chocolate in the evening, too. Make sure to savor it instead of eating it fast, feeling guilty and not even tasting it properly. Remember, it's always better to go overboard with your calories because you added a piece of chocolate every night into your plan than to go overboard because you have been depriving yourself and then ate everything in sight. Good luck!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! You all make me feel so much better!! LoL!!

To answer a few questions...

Yes I am a carb freak!! It's been really hard to limit it down to a reasonable amount. I know I can still loose weight while eating carbs because I ate TONS when I was working (worked as a manager at a pizza shop) and I ate crap all day long and still lost good weight!

I doubt I am dehydrated, I have been drinking more water in the last 20-something days then I have in the last 5 years, SERIOUSLY!

I used to be a soda and junk food junkie!! I would drink 6-8 sodas a day! And whatever junk I could get my hands on. My house is packed full of crap because my hubby is a sweet junkie... but remains thin as a rail because he does daily PT and works hard everyday. So everyday is a challenge... lol

Yes, I know about the hamburger helper!! I told my husband I am done with it!! He could live on it and eat it everyday! I've been looking up recipes and new things to try and make for dinner that all 3 of us would eat. (When I cook it's for myself, husband, and 4-year-old). We go shopping tomorrow and I have my list made up!!

The change I have made is eating wayyyy to much sugar and just crap to almost completely reversing it and having just about none. I have been slipping with the soda that last few days, but trying not to have a whole one... just bits of it.. but as of today I am stopping myself yet again!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE SUPPORT, IT REALLY HELPS!!
  • megskimo
    megskimo Posts: 7
    Options
    It's all about the diet soda! It's like free sweets! Get involved! What's hamburger helper??? *reads upwards
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's all about the diet soda! It's like free sweets! Get involved! What's hamburger helper??? *reads upwards

Sorry to tell you there's no such thing as free sweets. Diet soda adds as much girth to waist as sugar does.