45 minute 5k

Options
I've been stuck at a 45 minute 5k for 6 months. I really want to improve my time. Every time I attempt to run faster, I feel like I'm going to die. Will training for a 10k improve my time?

Replies

• edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I found that my 5k time improved when I started training for longer distances.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at a 45 minute 5k for 6 months. I really want to improve my time. Every time I attempt to run faster, I feel like I'm going to die. Will training for a 10k improve my time?

yes
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd increase stamina with distance. It all depends what you want to acieve. I slowed down to around 55 minutes for 5k to increase distance. Up to 8k in just over an hour now, moving to hopefully 10k soon. Without increasing the length if running time, I couldn't speed up either.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to run a 10k in an hour. Then, should I train for greater than 10k?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to run a 10k in an hour. Then, should I train for greater than 10k?

Train for a 10k... complete a 10k.... train to improve your time... complete a 10k... etc etc
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    And just for reference, I did my first 10k in 64:23 in November 14, and then completed my second, on a more difficult course in 59:36 in May 15.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What is your current level of fitness? How often do you run? Are you overweight?

It's tough to offer suggestions without knowing what is holding you back.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Short interval work (200m-800m) will increase your speed as well.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Will training for a 10k improve my time?

Yes.

More mpw is what you need.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    kota4bye wrote: »

Yep. Doing "speed work" like sprints at a track mixed into your training should shave some time off your 5K. Yes, they can be painful, but it teaches your body to use oxygen more efficiently and ultimately adapts to new stresses.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »

Yep. Doing "speed work" like sprints at a track mixed into your training should shave some time off your 5K. Yes, they can be painful, but it teaches your body to use oxygen more efficiently and ultimately adapts to new stresses.

And leads to injury if your body is not ready for it. Also not necessary when first starting out.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

More miles per week*, weight loss (if necessary), and you'll get faster. Don't worry about running faster. Just do more of the thing you want to be better at. This applies to most forms of exercise. Not just running.

*maximum 10% increase in distance per week.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

And leads to injury if your body is not ready for it. Also not necessary when first starting out.

Stuck at the same time for 6 months, reads like it is time to throw speed work into the routine. I'll do speedwork for 10k training too.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

This. Google "fartlek training" (after you've finished giggling).
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    Options
    What is your current level of fitness? How often do you run? Are you overweight?

I run 3.1 miles every other day and cross train on non running days. I'm not overweight. As my name suggests, I believe myself to be skinny fat. I'm 5'9 and 155 pounds.

• _Waffle_
    Options

Stuck at the same time for 6 months, reads like it is time to throw speed work into the routine. I'll do speedwork for 10k training too.

Don't forget squats. :neutral:
  • _Waffle_
    edited June 2016
    Options

I run 3.1 miles every other day and cross train on non running days. I'm not overweight. As my name suggests, I believe myself to be skinny fat. I'm 5'9 and 155 pounds.

How many miles per week are you currently running? That's the bottom line.

ETA: Whoops. I need math skills. LOL

Add in more running days and/or bump up one of those runs to 4 - 5 miles. That's going to make you faster. Eventually you'll be able to increase more of those to longer runs. There's no need to run faster and you'll likely get injured if you try to. *kitten* the time and don't even look at it. Just do the miles slow and easy.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    edited June 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Add in more running days and/or bump up one of those runs to 4 - 5 miles. That's going to make you faster. Eventually you'll be able to increase more of those to longer runs. There's no need to run faster and you'll likely get injured if you try to. *kitten* the time and don't even look at it. Just do the miles slow and easy.

It'll likely be 4 miles since the treadmills at my gym only allows for 60 minute usage.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

It'll likely be 4 miles since the treadmills at my gym only allows for 60 minute usage.

4 is good for now. Later you can restart it or move to another treadmill. I've done 18 miles on one before. (It was sheets of ice outside. Impossible to run in. Still.... never again!). I had to restart the thing twice I think.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options

^^^^^ This. Someone running a 45 minute 5K doesn't need to be doing track intervals. OP you need to build your endurance, which will let you go faster. start increasing the distance of one of your runs per week. Add .5 miles per week until you get it up to around 5-6 miles. Do that for a month or 2 and your time will go down.

If you have a race coming up I suggest one of the Hal Higdon 5k plans. they are 12 weeks long and gradually increase your distances.