Need help with craving sweets

Options
I have difficulty trying to get past my cravings for sweet food. Once I think of something sweet, it's like I need to have it or I will go mad. The feeling is never satisfied until I actually eat that food. I don't want to get these feelings or at least find a way to get past them without giving in. Any tips??

Replies

• amirose13
    amirose13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth myself, for me I find it best to treat myself to something most days but find healthier alternatives like banana chocolate chip muffins but made with bananas, oatmeal, and honey. Nutrisystem has some lunch bars that taste like you're totally indulging, they also have good desserts or I'll substitute a protein bar for lunch. Kashi has some cereal that has a touch of sweetness to them that's is just right!

Good luck to you! Keep on keeping on!
  • Lbharrism
    Lbharrism Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth also. I don't know if this is good advice but Jello makes pudding cups that are only 60 calories & I eat those or if I am having a real bad day I put Redi Whip 15 calories and Marischino Cherries 10 calories. I also, eat Healthy Choice fudge bars & on a real bad day I put it in a bowl with a sliced banana and the Redi Whip & cherry maybe even some Hersheys chocolate syrup!! You would be surprised what you mind thinks you are eating while you enjoy a low cal treat!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I have found that if I limit my sweet stuff in the morning it seems to control my cravings for the rest of the day.

Like for example, I used to start off the day with something sweet for breakfast, like maybe a bagel with peanut butter and jelly. It fit my calories, but it's like the sweet set something off in me, and I craved it more as the day went on.

These days I mostly only have eggs for breakfast - or something else high in protein like the chicken tenders from the night before, and then some veggies. It seems to control my cravings for sweet stuff.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    A group I'm in outside of MFP is pretty famous for saying that cravings are like stray cats- if you keep feeding them, they'll keep coming back. Since you've said you want to stop eating sweets rather than substituting them for lower cal versions that could leave you with the same issues I'd consider setting mental goals in small increments (i.e. I will not have any sweets today) and just continue building on them. Anyone can doing anything for a day...and another day...and another day! Good luck to you!
  • sc0rpi0gal
    sc0rpi0gal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cant give up sweets. I have 5 chocolate malt balls or choc strawberry balls from Aldi. 79 cal..or paddle pops 79 cal. Mini mars bars 80 cal or 5 marshmallows 76 cal. I have a treat every day. Theres no way I could give that up. This soon anyway.
  • Cysso
    Cysso Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have to have sweets I'll get a Hershey's kiss or two from my pantry (top shelf, all the way in the back) and let it dissolve on my tongue. Or I'll buy super dark chocolate and I can only eat one square since it's so bitter (but I love it anyway... Obviously that won't work if you don't like really dark chocolate).
  • afdonohue5
    afdonohue5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets for a month to try and break my cravings and that helped! It was hard but it definetly helped w the cravings. I have to be careful w low cal substitutes for sweets bc I find myself over indulging. So I try hard to limit so I don't get back to craving it all the time. I know people say you can have sweets in moderation but I really can't, so I am very restrictive, bc I know me and my weakness for sweets. Good luck!!

Oh I use use fruit daily to help and I will have cereal every now and then :)
  • raveygc93
    raveygc93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I could have my sweet tooth extracted, I would. For starters, I don't buy any sweets like chocolate or ice cream as groceries because I have little self control and they'll be gone in 24 hours. Also, this way when I want to have dessert when I'm out with friends, it truly is an occasional treat.

If I absolutely need something chocolate, Chiobani Flips have a few sweet flavors that usually satiate me. They pack at least 250 calls though, so don't be fooled by the fact that they're just Greek yogurt.

For daily sweet cravings, I just eat tons and tons of fruit! I know it's not the same, but it helps if I pretend it's the only option. Either fruit for dessert or no dessert, and I'm usually craving something sweet enough for it to work.

Best of luck!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Different strategies work for different people, and you kind of have to experiment until you find the strategy you know you can live with.

The most popular approaches I've seen on MFP are substitution, moderation, and abstinence. All have pro's and cons.

For me, abstinence makes the cravings go away, but others find they just get worse, until they break down and binge eat the "forbidden" foods.

Some people swear by substitutes but some don't find them satisfying and end up overeating when a small serving of the full calorie version would have done.

I'd say moderation is the most popular method on MFP, and many users are much happier and more satisfied knowing that they can still indulge in their favourite foods in a controlled manner. For those of us who don't do well on moderation, the small and or infrequent servings feel more like a "tease" and just perpetuate the cravings for more. In my case, it also makes the rest of my diet unappealing in comparison.

Obviously everyone thinks their method is best, but I think you won't really know what's best for you until you try them for yourself.
  • deedoe83
    deedoe83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sometimes as I take the time to measure and portion out a serving size of the treat I mentally check what it is I'm feeling...not sure if emotional eating plays into the sugar craving for you or not, but sometimes just getting in touch with what I'm really feeling makes the craving go away, and if it doesn't I stick with the one serving and eat it slowly. Eating too much sugar for me is like unleashing the crazy. Once you start it is so hard to stop.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar when I get a sweet tooth. Some of them taste better than candy bars in my opinion. It's still a lot of calories, but it also has a huge portion of my daily protein needs.