Runners

Options
Some of you might know I am going to boot camp in a few months, I'd really like to earn honor grad (graduate with the highest scores)

I am in need of assistance with my run time. I'd like to get my mile time from 7:40 to 6:30 by August. I'm willing to work for it, no problem, no excuses!

If you could comment tips, ideas and a weekly work out plan, I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• OGBrojas
    OGBrojas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Right now I run 2 miles MWF and do sprints before PT (physical training with my recruiters) Tuesday and Thursday and I do leg day on Monday as well as incorporating legs into other days.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Get a bike.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/cycling-stronger-runner/
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/training/bike-your-way-to-better-running_76393

Otherwise, I'd suggest more distance runs at a moderate pace. Try to spend 80 % of your running time in zone 2 and the other 20 % in zones 4 or 5.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    80/20 rule. You'll need an actual training plan. Adidas Train&Run app creates some good ones. Two miles 3X a week won't do it.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What branch are u going to? Big difference in the 4 branches. I spent 12 years in the Marines.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Running stairs is great for building power and speed.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Google interval running, sprint training, and trail running.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Echoing the 80/20. And finding a suitable training plan.
  • OGBrojas
    OGBrojas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    DTrain351 wrote: »
    What branch are u going to? Big difference in the 4 branches. I spent 12 years in the Marines.

If I was joining any other branch I'd say "basic training" , joining the Marines.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    interval training. 200s 400s 800s as hard as you can. What is your 3 Mile time now? add a half mile every week until you are comfortably running 4.5-5 miles.

How are your pull ups? They are going to get you more points than anything. Yes I know you can still do bent arm hang, but be prepared for pull ups.