Need to get healthy and fit.

Options
Hi y'all.

I'm new to this site. Since I've had my first child, my weight has gone up. Now that I've been diagnosed with some health issues (high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes), I figured I needed to take action. I would like to be able to see my youngest child graduate school, get married, have kids, have a successful life. I've never really kept track of my calories intake or my exercise regiment, so I thought this site would work wonders with me getting in line with my health and fitness. I really do need some motivation and ideas on how to lose weight and eat the right kinds of food, instead of being a couch potato and eating junk food. My weight loss goal is to lose 90 lbs.

Brandie

Replies

• monica1515
    monica1515 Posts: 65
    Options
    Brandie -

Welcome to MFP!

Congrats on making the most imporant decision in your life - to take care of YOU! This site is fantastic! There are always people on here willing to answer questions, help motivate and encourage, and the food/exercise tracker is a great way to hold yourself accountable.

We're all here for you, rooting you on!

Monica
  • miss_melissa_
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I am sure you will find the support you need her. Congrats on making a change.
  • WEAMJNJ
    WEAMJNJ Posts: 5
    Options
    Welcome Brandie,
    This site is great and there are lots of people here to help keep you motivated :) I hope you reach your goal and feel fabulous!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was also, until I started watching my diet. I use dlife.com for healthy recipes and tips to lower your A1C. But if you have early onset type 2, You can definitely reverse it. dlife.com has a recipe section under there Food and Fitness section along with answers to many questions. You can choose from low fat, low, lower, lowest carb, low calorie. It is really good if you are pre-diabetic. Just check it out once, you will love it I promise. http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-food-and-fitness
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    WELCOME TO MFP! I joined the site to get fit and hold myself accountable for what I eat. It ahs worked wonders! 6 months in and I am now over half way to my goal weight!! Pants are loose fitting again, my shorts are starting to fall down, and belts are a requirement!!!!! LOVE IT! The tummy bulge I've had all my life is going away and I am actually happy with it now!
    This site is a God send to me and the people on it are as well!!!! They are the reasons I am more motivated to do the right thing and make the right choices! Especially when I read the success stories and see the before and after pics! So inspirational!!!!!
    Add me if youd like!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Welsome! I hope you find this site as helpful as I have. A bit of advice is to log everything you eat, exercise, and take advantage of the wonderful support system here on MFP. Everyone has been so helpful when I've got questions or super motivational when I'm having a bad day. I love it here!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP!! I found this site a while ago, but have been actively using it everyday for almost 2 months now. I can tell you, it is excellent and so are all the people here!!

I too just found out I have high cholesterol!! :( I have my food diary set to public, so feel free to check it out and add me as friend if you ever need ideas to eat heart healthy!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Good for you. The best advice I can offer is ditch anything labelled "diet" and stick to naturally healthy foods - grilled or baked fish, lean meats, nuts and beans for protein. Plenty of veggies, fruit rather than fruit juice, eat only whole grains (no white bread or pasta) and plenty of liquids (preferably water). Find an exercise you can enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you probably won't stick with it. If finding time to exercise with children is a problem try something they can be a part of such as biking, hiking or swimming. And just remember that any change may be hard at times, but good health is the best reward you can give your family and yourself.

Good luck to you!
  • onmyweightohappiness
    onmyweightohappiness Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP & good luck!