Ideas for non gym cardio?

Options
I do a lot of hiking, biking, and swimming as well as in the gym elliptical training and treadmill, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for other cardio excersizes. Thanks!!

Replies

• a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just walk and play hockey...
  • fatacceptanceisstupid
    Options
    Skipping rope and walking the dog. Doing a self-made walking tour of your city.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You mentioned the best of them already. Bike (including up hills), hike to a lake and swim. Run for a more intense workout. Jump rope if you want, but it doesn't move you around like a bike does.
  • junethon
    junethon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How about tennis, or badminton?
  • taylorfick
    taylorfick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All great ideas! Thanks everybody
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Ultimate Frisbee is a great workout!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If you are near water, try a paddling sport - Stand Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking, or Canoeing. If you have waves near you, surfing. If you have a friend with a boat, waterskiing.

Is there an adult kickball or softball league in your area? Some of my friends have joined those leagues to play weekly with additional practices throughout the week.

Rollerskating / rollerblading is also good as well as push scooters.

If it is winter time (S. Hemisphere) - snow skiing, cross country skiing, sledding, tubing, ice skating.
  • taylorfick
    taylorfick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great ideas thank you!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I like rowing - the long skinny boats like in the Olympics. Except mine goes slower than theirs. (Hey, I'm old!) Most rowing clubs offer lessons, many have club boats you can row so you don't have to own one unless you want to.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My best cardio workouts are racquetball. Finding a court and a partner my skill level are problematic.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    High intensity body weight workouts are pretty great. Just don't rest for more than 20 seconds.
  • sydneyd44
    sydneyd44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IF you have access to a stair master, treadmill, outdoor bike, use them. Or just do 5 sets of 100 jumps with a jump rope, also jogging, swimming, walking dog, as long as you are getting your heart rate up, you're on the right track for a good cardio circuit.
  • Ineed2toneup
    Ineed2toneup Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You could check out sworkit which is an app for iPhone to do exercises at home! (It's free)
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Push mowing the lawn! It's a pretty good workout
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Heavy bag boxing with a couple rounds of tabata.