Resistance bands for "heavy lifting"?

Options
armydreamers
armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it possible to do a decent "heavy" lifting program using only resistance bands? Thanks!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    probably not. but you can still get a decent general fitness workout with them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'd say depends on the level of fitness. There are some pretty heavy duty bands out there.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Bands have their purpose, but because of the way they stretch they have different intensities during different parts of the exercise, they're not really gonna give you a "weight lifting" workout. If you're looking for an at home easy to do weight lifting workout without actual weights, look into suspension trainers like the TRX.
    those bands in that link are only gonna give you just a basic general fitness type workout and they wont get get you very far by themselves. They are good if they get you moving and active, but they aren't gonna do what heavy lifting does.
  • sardiver823
    sardiver823 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personal Trainer down here in Texas! So the bands are good in some ways but not in others. They are very inexpensive and portable. If using them as heavy weights, try pulling towards you to a count of 1 sec but resist the bands pull back to a count of 3 sec.
    Promise you! You will feel the burn! Good luck
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The heaviest band in that set has a max resistance of 23 lbs. Even if you were able to link some of them together, it's not much resistance at all--certainly not for "heavy" lifting.

There are a couple of challenges with relying strictly on bands. One: the resistance curve for a band (I.e. Resistance increases as the band is lengthened) is pretty much the opposite of the way that muscles develop force. This makes bands great for doing accessory/specialty work, but less than ideal as a primary mode of resistance training. Two: it is also more difficult to progressively increase resistance with precision using bands.

Again, for accessory use, a trip or some other short-term use, etc, bands can be effective and useful tools. But a set like the one you listed is probably not going to be a good substitute for a weight lifting routine.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have a "band" day in addition to my other lifting days (where I use barbells, cable machine and dumbbells etc). If you have access to a gym and weights I would recommend that primarily, however bands + bodyweight work have their place can be fantastic for home workouts. Since incorporating bands into my hip thrust and squat routine, I have really noticed an increase in strength so they are a great addition in my opinion.

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Resistance bands do have tension differences, so from a fitness aspect it's possible. Understanding differences between types of weight lifting can be helpful and somewhat important.