Recent article on myfitnesspal

Options
Did anyone else read the article about feeling weight loss is hopeless? I am particularly wondering about the part that says you will sabotage weight loss by counting your exercise calories toward your daily allotted calories. Anyone have any comments on this? I am at a 16 pound loss and have 95 pounds to go for goal so I need the best advice.

Replies

• fatacceptanceisstupid
    Options
    I just do rough counts of my calories and ensure that I'm around 200-300 under my recommended. Like ElJefePerron, I don't really count exercise unless its a day hike or a golfing trip. If I had to get a scale and calculator each time, I'd go crazy.

I think it's BS to think that calorie-counting is 'sabotage.' In fact, it clarified to me which foods were contributing most to my weight.

Congrats on the weight loss. You clearly are doing something right.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I never count my exercise calories because I don't trust the measurement of calories burned
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I started, I ate all my exercise calories back and it worked out perfectly fine. Lost 30 lbs with no weighing anything and eating all my calories back. For me, MFP already had me at 1200 so I felt like I would not sustain by not eating them back.

I still eat them back but I have a harder time not going over this last year and I work out six days a week. I gained about 10 lbs the last half of the year due to various "excuses" and have been maintaining so far this year but I know why. When I just eat my exercise calories back I lose but like I said, I have been over. I try not eat my Fitbit calories back though so maybe since I usually get my 10k steps in and my profile is set to lightly active it has made up the difference when I do lose.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back and still consistently hit my weekly weight loss goal. I realize I may be in the minority though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    I've eaten back my exercise calories (most or all of them) while losing 60+ pounds April 2015-March 2016, and while maintaining at around 120 pounds since then.

I do estimate exercise calories conservatively (heart rate monitor, comparison with MFP & other, more multi-variable exercise calculators, then pick the low end).

I'm pretty active, and if I cut calories too far (which happened briefly during weight loss), I get fatigued. But I'm old (60), plus hypothyroid, so those may be why it hits me harder if I get too deep a deficit.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    OP do you have a link to this article?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only reason I got a fitbit is so I could better estimate my calories out and know how many to eat back. I am pretty sure it overestimates, so I don't eat all of them back.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I eat back half my exercise calories, and have lost weight steadily since I started really tracking my intake/output. *shrug* And if I've done serious cardio that day? I NEED those calories or I end up with the hangries.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat my exercise calories back, unless I burn 400-500 cals then I might eat an extra 100 or so. I'll only eat some of them back if I'm hungry knowing I have some extra calories. I've found this has been working for me personally.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,064 Member
    Options
    I count my exercise calories ... but low, of course. I know that most calorie counters overestimate the number of calories burned while exercising so I choose slow speeds and light workouts even if I actually put in quite a bit of effort.

When I was actively losing weight, I ate about 50% of my exercise calories back.

Now that I've lost 25 kg (55 lbs), and I'm closer to maintenance, I eat about 80-90% of my exercise calories back.

Works for me. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't feel this is an issue for me. I count and eat back my exercise calories without problems. I'm reasonable of course, I don't expect to rack up 500 calories in 30 minutes of "cleaning", but things like walking and running are pretty predictable and consistent calorie-wise.

I also don't see an issue with the "exercise to eat more" mentality if you understand what reasonable burns look like and don't have an eating disorder. This whole "exercise for this purpose and nothing else" doesn't gel with me. People should be free to exercise for whatever reason they want and shouldn't feel ashamed if they secretly have "inferior" reasons like calorie burns or looks. Those extra 2-300 calories can enhance a meal in great ways or allow for an extra snack that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I eat all my exercise calories back whether losing or maintaining and my weight follows suit - that's roughly 3500 in winter and sometimes 7000+ a week in summer.

It's not a flawed method, the flaw is in how people apply the method.

For most people, even a high exerciser like me, the accuracy focus is better spent on your food intake which has a far greater impact.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and I count calories and enjoy eating and drinking every single one of my exercise calories back. I didn't eat all of mine back when losing but that wasn't because of inaccuracy, that was because I wanted to lose faster and didn't feel like I needed to feed my body more than what it was asking for.