Recent article on myfitnesspal

Options
2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% of my pedometer calories and lose at the rate I expect to.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and eat back between 50 and 75% of those 'earned' calories. The wiggle room I leave is to give me a bit of a buffer in case my food logging or the calories burned is a bit inaccurate. The closer you get to goal weight, the more critical remaining in a predetermined calorie deficit becomes. I lost 75 lbs this way. :)
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I log the calories burned according to my heart rate monitor, and usually eat back about 80% of them. I also lose at the rate I expect to. I would not be able to sustain a diet that did now allow me to eat a reasonable amount of calories every day, and eating back my work-out calories allows me that.
  • lun4wub
    lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Like some other people said the real issue is that people will eat back the exercise calories. Where as you should use exercise to build muscle so you will burn more calories, and do cardio to burn fat. But a lot of people will see the number of calories they burned and say OK now I can eat all of this extra food. And that's the problem.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    lun4wub wrote: »
    Like some other people said the real issue is that people will eat back the exercise calories. Where as you should use exercise to build muscle so you will burn more calories, and do cardio to burn fat. But a lot of people will see the number of calories they burned and say OK now I can eat all of this extra food. And that's the problem.

That's not a problem, that's how this app was designed. I think the MFP method is a bit confusing to people because they can do it in one of two ways: include exercise in their activity level and not eat them back or set their activity level to sedentary and eat back the extra food. Several people in this thread have seen success with the second method. In some cases it's actually dangerous not to eat that extra food, especially if the person is at a low allowance and is exercising to boot.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh any of my food, I just guess and use the generic entries or scan my packages. I don't have a lot to lose so I have it set to lose .5 lbs per week so I don't have much room for mistakes. I've found that when I eat back my exercise calories I am less successful, leaving less room for food logging mistakes. I feel more deprived on the days that I don't work out and I'll go out of my way to get more calories, like walking for 20-30 minutes just to burn 100 calories so I can have a piece of chocolate. Mentally, for me, it's counterproductive. But if you actually log your calories correctly and are working out "hard", it's going to be more productive to fuel your body properly for your work outs by eating some of those calories back.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have to say the article itself was pretty hopeless, and left out a good portion of the story on both studies, and it didn't really offer much hope in the way of proper suggestions for weight loss. Was highly disappointed in the article quite frankly, and have to agree with an early poster that many of the MFP blog articles are a bit less than stellar to me also. (Take everything with a grain of salt, especially advice in forum threads!! Do your own research rather than just asking for 'opinions'.)

I have to agree with those that are saying that it is okay to eat back your exercise calories because that's not the problem. The problem is that most people way over estimate their activity and way under estimate how much they are eating. If you want to succeed in losing weight, you might want to reverse that. Over estimate your calories you eat if you can't measure accurately, like at a restaurant (otherwise measure, measure, measure), and under estimate your activity level (like don't count every little step you make to get up from the couch to go to the bathroom or check the mail, or the calories burned from 'driving in traffic', but include all your real exercise like going on a directed walk for 30-60 minutes or going for a run or a bike ride - all that stuff above and beyond 'normal activity' for you). While many have figured out how to use them properly, I really think those with fitbits that are counting every little body shift as calorie burners are doing themselves a disservice and fooling themselves (well, until they look at the scale).

If I had an article to recommend (even though the video mentioned in the article is no longer available), it'd be this one that I saw posted on the boards earlier this week about being brutally honest with yourself - http://www.bodyforwife.com/the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-to-lose-weight/
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,146 Member
    Options

Not a problem for me! :)

In fact it is a benefit of exercise ... because I exercised a lot today, I ate pizza. :grin:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@lun4wub
    Sorry but's that's not correct.

Eating back the correct amount of exercise calories isn't the problem, it's how this site is designed - when you get to maintenance you will have to!

Building muscle to burn more calories is very close to being a myth, apart from the difficulty in building muscle at a deficit the very, very few extra calories burned by having a few more pounds of muscle are more than offset by the reduced energy demands from losing weight.

Cardio doesn't "burn fat" as such - it burns calories but losing fat is a result of your deficit and not any particular exercise. You can do a load of cardio and more than offset that by eating too much.

Eating the incorrect amount of calories certainly can be a problem, that's where some effort is required to make estimates "reasonable" and adjust calorie balance based on results not just calculators and estimates of both food and exercise calories.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Building muscle to burn more calories is very close to being a myth, apart from the difficulty in building muscle at a deficit the very, very few extra calories burned by having a few more pounds of muscle are more than offset by the reduced energy demands from losing weight.

Really? Then why am I losing weight and still building muscle? At the most, I am only eating back a couple of hundred calories of my exercise calories at the most, but I am still building muscle and losing fat. I've been on this course for the last four years, and I can now really see the progress that I have been making. My body comp studies are indicating that I have flipped the ratio of lean muscle mass to fat. I balance my exercise time between the pool, weight room, and the great outdoors.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »

Really? Then why am I losing weight and still building muscle? At the most, I am only eating back a couple of hundred calories of my exercise calories at the most, but I am still building muscle and losing fat. I've been on this course for the last four years, and I can now really see the progress that I have been making. My body comp studies are indicating that I have flipped the ratio of lean muscle mass to fat. I balance my exercise time between the pool, weight room, and the great outdoors.
    Think you are missing the point.

Skeletal muscle burns approx. 6cals / day / per lb.
    Fat burns approx. 2cals / day / per lb.

Work out the significance on your calorie balance when you are losing weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    amandaherr wrote: »
    Did anyone else read the article about feeling weight loss is hopeless? I am particularly wondering about the part that says you will sabotage weight loss by counting your exercise calories toward your daily allotted calories. Anyone have any comments on this? I am at a 16 pound loss and have 95 pounds to go for goal so I need the best advice.

Well, first, and most importantly. congrats and on the 16 pound loss, and assuming that the loss has been at an appropriate rate (with the amount you have to lose, say up to 3 lbs a week, or 1% of BW), I would say keep doing whatever you're doing. If you've been eating back exercise calories, it's working for you. If you're not, and you're not losing too fast, maybe you don't want to start eating the exercise calories.

I lost 30 lbs eating my exercise calories, and I lost faster than expected. (I asked for a 1 lb a week weight loss goal, and averaged 2 lbs a week loss.)

Online calculators and formulas are great to give you a starting place, but given the variation in people, lives, errors in food packaging, etc., nothing beats paying attention to your own results and using your own data to adjust your goals and behavior. If you're reasonably consistent, even if things you are doing are "wrong" in terms of accuracy, it's far easier to make adjustments based on your results than to try to beat the world (food scales, food manufacturers, restaurants, crazy schedules, the occasional meal you just have to take a wild guess about, and life in general) into some laboratory-level of accuracy.