Protein

Options
Hey, I'm trying to bulk up a bit and wondered if anyone's got any tips on where to get decent cheap protein powder from, or what has worked best for them? Thanks

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    In the meat/ seafood section of my grocery store. Protein powders won't be anymore optimal than a steak or chicken with the same protein content
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Buy family size portions of meats. They tend to be a lot cheaper. Tuna in a can is really cheap, and don't forget you have plant based proteins (seitan, soy, lentils, beans/legumes).
  • bigd8541
    bigd8541 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat 300 grams of protein like I do, you can't always just rely on just meat sources. I use the NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate Natural Unflavored. You can get it fairly cheap in a 10 lb bag. It has the most protein per scoop (25g) with the fewest calories (110). Low sodium and sugar, and it doesn't taste too bad if you mix it with milk.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing, but I can just about guarantee you don't need 300 g of protein a day.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Not for nothing, but I can just about guarantee you don't need 300 g of protein a day.
    Agreed. I would imagine one would have to be working out with heavy weights for 4+ hours every day plus cardio on top of that to need 300g of protein.

• bobclapp18
    bobclapp18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    your body only takes what it needs and pees the rest of the protein out. Promise you that no human needs 300g of protein
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Agreed. I would imagine one would have to be working out with heavy weights for 4+ hours every day plus cardio on top of that to need 300g of protein.

Even then, you ain't gonna need that much. Well, not unless you're an NFL lineman. Then, well, probably not, but maybe.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bobclapp18 wrote: »
    your body only takes what it needs and pees the rest of the protein out. Promise you that no human needs 300g of protein

Technically, the excess protein your body consumes sits in your gut until you consume it - it's why your excrements are not messy-protein-filled-runs. You are confusing excess vitamins which you do pee out.

Good sources of protein:
    chicken, tilapia, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lean cuts of steak, whey protein powder are off the top of my head.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yup, agree with the others. If you can get it through food, try to do that. But, whey protein is the cheapest consumable protein per calorie compared to meat so it makes sense for some.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Cook whole chickens in the crockpot, and make chili out of everything but the bones. This is the cheapest protein I've found.

Second cheapest that doesn't taste terrible: ON weight protein. Wait for a sale and buy the largest size.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    ellisp852 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm trying to bulk up a bit and wondered if anyone's got any tips on where to get decent cheap protein powder from, or what has worked best for them? Thanks

If you are bulking, then I would say just eat more....before you look to just getting a protein powder.
    I like Met-Rx myself though.
  • bigd8541
    bigd8541 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    6'9" 300lbs. What's your protein amount recommendation then?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight, gaining or maintaining?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The RDA for adequate protein for most adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight. That's about 46 grams of protein per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and 56 grams for men.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use MyProtein unflavoured Impact Whey Protein. I tend to take it after a workout and on the days when I 've skipped a meal for whatever reason.

I'm in the UK, so it's actually cheaper than relying on chicken breast and beef.
  • Namdier
    Namdier Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been using Optimum Nutrition whey protein for years...cheap, tastes good, drink it on the go when you can't get your protein through food sources...
  • pbryd
    Options
    Anyone who's knocking people who aren't following the typical 0.8g/lb of bodyweight protein requirements, might want to check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYq8OzoMSFo&index=4&list=PLYdkxp9hJ4i7KsYsAnNBrtRvEIop6fLlp
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    To supplement my sources of animal protein I use stuff from truenutrition.com.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Interesting video @pbryd good job posting that, thanks!

Wish there was more info though on how to know if you're getting enough protein or not though. There's so many variables to performance in training I think I'd find it hard to know. (I do cardio not lifting)
  • pbryd
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Interesting video @pbryd good job posting that, thanks!

Wish there was more info though on how to know if you're getting enough protein or not though. There's so many variables to performance in training I think I'd find it hard to know. (I do cardio not lifting)

Be sure to watch the full series 'Peeling Back a Layer' - they're all great.